The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

Still love my Hy-Wood. We shall never get divorced.

Same. I had some range time this morning and that club was just automatic. I ended my bucket with a HyWood shot that was dead straight and had just the perfect soft landing. I had 4 balls left and just walked away on that high note.

I tried to find a club to unseat the hy-wood today. Went through several OEM hybrids and fairway woods. I wasn’t able to beat it.

I may be pouring one out for the Hy-wood. My PING G430 5-wood came in this week. It was everything I wanted in the initial shakedown session. I hit 80% of the shots off the deck and it was as good as the vintage days with the Hywood. I don't know if it'll be as good out of the rough.

It's more of a testament to the how good the G430 line is than an indictment of the Hy-wood.

Yikes. The main round with the new 5 wood was a disaster. I used it for 4 tee shots and got 3 pulls and a top for my trouble. I used it twice from the deck. One disaster and one good outcome (hit it pin high just off the green from 220.)

The Hy-wood was smirking at me from the backup bag when I got home. We'll see how it does on a different course tomorrow.

The Hy-wood may be back. The 5-wood has been really good at the range, but my percentage of quality shots on the course is laughably low. Today I put them both in the bag. (Only carry 13 clubs, so had a spot to add it.)

I had 225 yards left on a benign par 5. No trouble in front of the green, pretty wide landing area. Total go zone. Pull the 5 wood out and hit a low hard short pull. Had to scramble from heavy rough to save par.

I used it on the tee on a very short (230 yard) par 4. It's a risk reward hole with bailout room on the right. Weak flare slice that ended up in a bunker 200 yards out on right.

I was done with it for the day. The next time that yardage came up was on dogleg you have to hit something 220 yards out. The trusy Hy-wood got pulled out and I hit a long high shot on a rope to position A.

I've always been better with hybrids because you swing them like an long iron. The 5-wood has just been a complete and total disappointment. I have a league event next week. The Hy-wood will be back in the bag. I may have made an expensive mistake.

The Hy-wood may be back. The 5-wood has been really good at the range, but my percentage of quality shots on the course is laughably low. Today I put them both in the bag. (Only carry 13 clubs, so had a spot to add it.)

I had 225 yards left on a benign par 5. No trouble in front of the green, pretty wide landing area. Total go zone. Pull the 5 wood out and hit a low hard short pull. Had to scramble from heavy rough to save par.

I used it on the tee on a very short (230 yard) par 4. It's a risk reward hole with bailout room on the right. Weak flare slice that ended up in a bunker 200 yards out on right.

I was done with it for the day. The next time that yardage came up was on dogleg you have to hit something 220 yards out. The trusy Hy-wood got pulled out and I hit a long high shot on a rope to position A.

I've always been better with hybrids because you swing them like an long iron. The 5-wood has just been a complete and total disappointment. I have a league event next week. The Hy-wood will be back in the bag. I may have made an expensive mistake.

I've started setting up and hitting my 4W similar to the way I hit my HyWood and have actually gotten decent results. May be worth a try. I carry a 4W-Hywood at the top of my bag. When the driver goes into time out I can hit the 4W 220-225 off the tee

I always see the Cleveland Hy-wood and the Callaway UW being compared and contrasted. Are they in the same category or are they completely separate entities? Thoughts? My opinion is the hy-wood is a hybrid with a faster face on it where the UW is a mini-fairway wood, akin to a mini-driver.

I always see the Cleveland Hy-wood and the Callaway UW being compared and contrasted. Are they in the same category or are they completely separate entities? Thoughts? My opinion is the hy-wood is a hybrid with a faster face on it where the UW is a mini-fairway wood, akin to a mini-driver.
I find the Hy-wood vastly easier to hit as someone who likes to explore the face. Personally I never had much luck with the UW but that may have been partly the HZRDUS shaft that comes stock. Plus my feeble mind goes towards if the UW was built to a degree with Phil Mickelson in mind is it really a club for me?

While the concepts are similar, the Hy-wood was designed to be crazy easy to hit while the UW is a more workable/less forgiving club. I think a lot of us who gravitated to the Hy-wood did so because we wanted something really easy to hit in that slot

Has anyone else struggled with the upright lie angle on this one? I was at the range with my daughter for an impromptu small bucket of balls after putt putt and just couldn’t seem to get it to set up comfortably for some reason tonight and now it’s in my head.

Has anyone else struggled with the upright lie angle on this one? I was at the range with my daughter for an impromptu small bucket of balls after putt putt and just couldn’t seem to get it to set up comfortably for some reason tonight and now it’s in my head.
I think the accuracy build one which is a tad shorter has a flatter lie. You could cut it 1/2 inch it will then have a flatter lie.
I swapped out my Hywood for a 19* Ping 430 hybrid. The Hywood was kinda ballooning on me to much because of my steep swing angle.

While the concepts are similar, the Hy-wood was designed to be crazy easy to hit while the UW is a more workable/less forgiving club. I think a lot of us who gravitated to the Hy-wood did so because we wanted something really easy to hit in that slot

I'm not disagreeing at all, because you're right on the design of the two, but I find the UW to be so much easier to hit. For some reason, I just don't get along with my hywood.

I think the accuracy build one which is a tad shorter has a flatter lie. You could cut it 1/2 inch it will then have a flatter lie.
I swapped out my Hywood for a 19* Ping 430 hybrid. The Hywood was kinda ballooning on me to much because of my steep swing angle.

I didn't realize there were different versions? Is there a way to tell which you have?

I'm not disagreeing at all, because you're right on the design of the two, but I find the UW to be so much easier to hit. For some reason, I just don't get along with my hywood.

I didn't realize there were different versions? Is there a way to tell which you have?
The standard model is 41.5" in length and 60.5 lie angle and has no 8-gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft. You would have to custom order the accuracy build so you probably have the standard. If you feel adventurous you could cut it 1/2" and will get a flatter lie.

The standard model is 41.5" in length and 60.5 lie angle and has no 8-gram counterweight in the butt of the shaft. You would have to custom order the accuracy build so you probably have the standard. If you feel adventurous you could cut it 1/2" and will get a flatter lie.
Can you help me understand how the shorter shaft flattens the lie? I thought the angle was ground to shaft when sitting flush so from a geometric perspective the length of shaft wouldn’t matter.

I’ve heard that before and don’t disagree, just want to learn the why behind it.

Standard Hy-Wood
IMG_9623.jpeg
Hy-wood accuracy build
IMG_9622.jpeg

Can you help me understand how the shorter shaft flattens the lie? I thought the angle was ground to shaft when sitting flush so from a geometric perspective the length of shaft wouldn’t matter.

I’ve heard that before and don’t disagree, just want to learn the why behind it.
Think about a 60* wedge with a 46-inch shaft, would the lie go up or down? Now think of a 60* wedge with a 10-inch shaft would the lie go up or down?

Accuracy build was just some fancy buzzwords Cleveland used in their Halo lineup. It's marketing stuff, of course, a shorter shaft will give you more accuracy.
You can order it 1/2" shorter and no counterbalance and by their own marketing lingo it's an accuracy build. lol

Can't you just grip down 1/2 inch? Sometimes if I'm not swinging as good I grip down and shorten up the backswing and BOOM more accurate shots from the fairway/rough

Can't you just grip down 1/2 inch? Sometimes if I'm not swinging as good I grip down and shorten up the backswing and BOOM more accurate shots from the fairway/rough
Yep. That's what I do. Grip down 1/2 inch and I get 200 yard lasers all day!

And the experiment is over. The G430 FW is sold. The first range session was fire. And I never could find it again. It became an exercise in frustration. I'd hit everything else well at the range and was buckwild with the 5-wood. To the point I had zero faith in it.

I did not hit in a single good shot with it during a round. Not one. Meanwhile I found my old magic with the Hy-wood.

And the experiment is over. The G430 FW is sold. The first range session was fire. And I never could find it again. It became an exercise in frustration. I'd hit everything else well at the range and was buckwild with the 5-wood. To the point I had zero faith in it.

I did not hit in a single good shot with it during a round. Not one. Meanwhile I found my old magic with the Hy-wood.

Boy, does this club have a pleasing sound when you stripe one.

Has anyone replaced the stock shaft with something fancy? Would this club work with a 70g shaft? This and the 4H variant are by far my lightest shafts in my bag. I just play them but wonder if I should make them more inline with my other clubs

Has anyone replaced the stock shaft with something fancy? Would this club work with a 70g shaft? This and the 4H variant are by far my lightest shafts in my bag. I just play them but wonder if I should make them more inline with my other clubs

I would love to try them with some UST Mamiya DART shafts, but I like the counterbalance feel.

I would love to try them with some UST Mamiya DART shafts, but I like the counterbalance feel.
I hit both well but wonder if I could hit them better or completely mess them up lol

has anyone here who is borderline xstiff had issues with the flex? I just bought the stiff flex after a good simulator session but am curious if anyone opted for a more heavy version and what they would recommend? Sorry if this somewhere else but appreciate any feedback!

Back