Long Putters good or bad for the game?

I don't agree with anchoring them, but as long as their legal it doesn't matter.

This debate has been on since the first long putter hit the rack. They are legal so I could care less if someone uses one.

While I can't argue against it from a rules perspective and I don't ever want to say NEVER, I just can't see myself gaming one. I kind of agree with it being somewhat "like" cheating because it can and is braced against your body, the fact that it is NOT cheating surprises me more people aren't using them. Yeah I just contradicted myself, but I feel like its just not for me either.

I think now that "Someone won a major" with one and that talk can go away you just might see more on tour.

It is what it is and they are legal. If it works and helps, then do whatever you can! So ultimately its indifferent to the game IMO.

No problem with the putter, I tried a two ball. It was ok, I had trouble with long putt speed. I did not stay with it. Stayed with old faithful

Its legal, so what is wrong with using one?

Also, I don't have access to putting statistics, but are the pro's who lead in putting stats all using long putters?

Its legal, so what is wrong with using one?

Also, I don't have access to putting statistics, but are the pro's who lead in putting stats all using long putters?

I don't have the stats at hand either, but I doubt the long putters are leading. Lot more to putting than the length of the shaft.

I want to reply to this but don't want to ruffle any feathers I have done that enough, but here goes. I have a fair putter collection, Scotty, couple of pings ,taylormade , zebra ,on and on but about 4 weeks ago I went to a local club for a Taylormade demo days and found a long putter, 48" type that Adam Scott, Tim Clark and others use, well I took it to the putting green and started making putt after putt so there was a sale going on and like allways I jumped. Now I have fought putting woes since I started golfing, pulling and pushing the ball, never swinging on the same line and missing a ton of putts, now this putter has most likely given me confidence if nothing else because I feel I can see the line better, repeat the swing because of the way it sets up , So I now game a Taylormade Corssa Ghost that is 48 inches and I love this thing. Feel is still an issue but if the results are anything to say about it, Last Sunday I played 18 with friends and on the back 9 I went par,birdie,birdie,birdie,par and shot 77 for the best round this summer, with no pushes or pulls. So it's in the bag, I get called Vejay because of my age but I really think this thing has helped my game

I actually have an inch and a half taken off my putter so my arms can hang straight down. I think they are bad for the game being able to basically secure the putter to your body.

I think long drivers, oversize heads, cavity back irons and any balls not made of surlyn should be illegal. And everyone should walk, No carts allowed.

I think long drivers, oversize heads, cavity back irons and any balls not made of surlyn should be illegal. And everyone should walk, No carts allowed.

I'm with you on the no carts allowed!

:popcorn:

IMO, its neither good nor bad for the game. Its just another way for people to putt who struggle with their putting. Im personally not a fan of long putters or belly putters but Im not sure that they should be banned.
Granted, they do make it easier to make a nice, smooth stroke but you still have to judge the speed and the break of the green properly in order to make putts.

Everyone can use them, so what's the big deal? If they think it gives a competitive advantage....well, use one!

I hate them but that is just me...I think that if you cant hold your wrists/arms steady when you get nervous then you should learn...the long/belly putters let people counter their nerves and that takes away one of the most important aspects of the game...the mental side.

I hate them but that is just me...I think that if you cant hold your wrists/arms steady when you get nervous then you should learn...the long/belly putters let people counter their nerves and that takes away one of the most important aspects of the game...the mental side.

But, nothing prevents every single golfer in the world from using one.

Hybrids, big driver heads, GPS, rangefinders....long putters are the same thing.

I think they are just a good for the game as any other development. Anything to help make this difficult game easier I fully support.

Ditto on what griff said.

I don't mind the way kuchar uses his. I don't like when guys anchor them to their bodies to help them make pendulum strokes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Everyone can use them, yet everyone isn't. They clearly aren't something that breaks the game, so to each his own.

I happened to check out the Sr championship over the wknd. A bunch of them are using belly and broomstick putters.

It's not illegal and it lets folks enjoy the game. So it's all good!

Caught the last part of Feherty and he asked Bones (Phil's Caddie) if there was one part of the game you could change what would it be. Bones replied with, Long putters. I think they're bad for the game.

i personally haven't used one but a friend of mine went to a broom handle putter years ago because he was struggling so badly.i also played a team match last night and my opponent was using a belly putter but in a conventional way,i never even noticed until he told me about it....reason for using it????because he suffers from a bad back!!!

i don't see the problem at all,it doesn't give anyone a clear advantage because anyone can use them if you want....so it's a level playing field if you ask me.

IMO, its neither good nor bad for the game. Its just another way for people to putt who struggle with their putting. Im personally not a fan of long putters or belly putters but Im not sure that they should be banned.
Granted, they do make it easier to make a nice, smooth stroke but you still have to judge the speed and the break of the green properly in order to make putts.

I don't think this is really the case any longer. Many switched to a belly putter because as you say, they were struggling, but if you tune in right now and watch the US Amateur, there are a lot of young guys using them now because they have become so accepted. The stigma seems to be fading, that only the older or struggling players use them.

I've been using a long putter. Other than an occasional massive push, it's been good for my game.

TGC's Morning Drive had pictures of Mickelson practicing with a belly putter. I wonder if Bones will take it away from him, ha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back