Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Another day, and another disappointing result with the HD. I really want to like this driver. It looks great, it even feels great to swing, but what comes off the face is not. Still too low for me, and often times with a sizable slice. At least for yesterday, i was doing fantastic with my TM Burner. So this time, I think I can say that it was the driver, not my swing. I'm very comfortable with my new swing.

Still, this is long term testing, and its not fair for me to give up on it. I will continue to make tweaks to the set up to try and put a good swing on this driver. One interesting thing, my Dad is coming up for the weekend, and I'm going to have him hit it. It's too stiff of a shaft for him, but that's ok, he's just trying it out. Should be interesting to see what he thinks. He actually still games my old 1998 titanium air bear driver.

I went and played today and since I have been hitting the HD so well I thought I'd leave it out of the bag and hit my burner to see if I hit it as well, stupid mistake! I couldn't hit it, everything was left off of the box. It was so bad I went to 3wd only on the back 9 and shot a nasty 91. The heavy is back in the bag!!!

I went and played today and since I have been hitting the HD so well I thought I'd leave it out of the bag and hit my burner to see if I hit it as well, stupid mistake! I couldn't hit it, everything was left off of the box. It was so bad I went to 3wd only on the back 9 and shot a nasty 91. The heavy is back in the bag!!!

Hahahaha. This is how I feel when I take the backweights out of my R11. It is not a good thing. I am still loving the HD as well.

Another day, and another disappointing result with the HD. I really want to like this driver. It looks great, it even feels great to swing, but what comes off the face is not. Still too low for me, and often times with a sizable slice. At least for yesterday, i was doing fantastic with my TM Burner. So this time, I think I can say that it was the driver, not my swing. I'm very comfortable with my new swing.

Still, this is long term testing, and its not fair for me to give up on it. I will continue to make tweaks to the set up to try and put a good swing on this driver. One interesting thing, my Dad is coming up for the weekend, and I'm going to have him hit it. It's too stiff of a shaft for him, but that's ok, he's just trying it out. Should be interesting to see what he thinks. He actually still games my old 1998 titanium air bear driver.

Sorry to hear this Rock. Some clubs just work better for some than others. I wish I could give you some advice, but I am not the person to ask. I have found that backweighting has helped my consistency quite a bit. I will agree though, that my miss is like yours, to the right, which in itself is a good thing for me. I used to have two misses and now mostly my miss is to the right side, which has given me the confidence to aim up the left side without worry that I am going to pull on into the junk on the left. I am happy you are keeping with it though.

Rock, thank you for your honesty. I appreciate that you're still working with the HD through your frustrations.

Thanks guys. But yes, the HD is not working great for me. I do keep trying to use it, trying to find the perfect swing for that club. Even though i'm not getting great results, I still try to provide both the positive and negative feedback on the club. Hopefully I'm doing well at that least.

good read so far, wish these were available to test over here. i wait patiently for stocking to happen.. :)

I've been following this thread for awhile and I just sent an email through the Boccieri Golf website requesting some info. I'm hoping to get the chance to talk to Mr. Boccieri and see what he might suggest for me...

Another question for everyone. How do you like the shaft in the Heavy Driver? The shaft is the Aldila NV-S and I like it quite a bit. My only complaint is the NV-S is a bit soft. I am used to a much stiffer tip, that being said this shaft feels great! I like the ball flight that I see from it and it does not produce too much spin, which is normally one of my big concerns. I think this shaft with the low spinning head is a really good combination. That being said, I would like to see the option for a shaft with a little more stability in the tip though.

Another question for everyone. How do you like the shaft in the Heavy Driver? The shaft is the Aldila NV-S and I like it quite a bit. My only complaint is the NV-S is a bit soft. I am used to a much stiffer tip, that being said this shaft feels great! I like the ball flight that I see from it and it does not produce too much spin, which is normally one of my big concerns. I think this shaft with the low spinning head is a really good combination. That being said, I would like to see the option for a shaft with a little more stability in the tip though.

I like the shaft, but its hard for me to compare to shafts in other clubs just based on the backweighting. This is the first club I have ever used with backweighting, so I dont know how else to compare. I do really like the ball flight on well struck shots, dont see much ballooing at all. I sometimes see some ballooning with my SuperTri, but dont see those shots with this low spin head. The one complaint I would have on the shaft is how it is installed into the head graphics "up" at address. I would much prefer to see the graphics turned down, just a personal preference though.

I can't speak to the ball flight of the nv-s shaft. My ball flight is about 12 feet off the ground, 20 feet maximum usually. That's not the shaft though, that's me and the driver.

I can speak about the low spin. On a soft fairway, my TM burner will hit and not go anywhere. If the fairways are super soft, it'll actually back up a foot in the fairway. Not so with the HD. The HD is a low spin machine with tons of roll out. That is definitely a big advantage over my TM.

One other thing I like about the nv-s is that it feels solid to swing. The stock REAX shaft in my TM is a bit 'whippy.' The nv-s feels like a quality shaft when your swinging it.

Finally, I think it's great that the nv-s shaft is the same shaft you get when you order the shaft separately through golfsmith or whoever. I remember Mr. Boccieri stating that many 'stock' shafts on off the shelf drivers are 'made to spec and price,' so that your getting essentially a cheap graphite shaft. Not so with Boccieri golf. The shaft in the driver is exactly the same as when you purchase the shaft separately. Just goes to show how much he wants to produce a high quality golf product.

I like the shaft, but its hard for me to compare to shafts in other clubs just based on the backweighting. This is the first club I have ever used with backweighting, so I dont know how else to compare. I do really like the ball flight on well struck shots, dont see much ballooing at all. I sometimes see some ballooning with my SuperTri, but dont see those shots with this low spin head. The one complaint I would have on the shaft is how it is installed into the head graphics "up" at address. I would much prefer to see the graphics turned down, just a personal preference though.

Great point about the graphics. The black with the green does stand out!

I can't speak to the ball flight of the nv-s shaft. My ball flight is about 12 feet off the ground, 20 feet maximum usually. That's not the shaft though, that's me and the driver.

I can speak about the low spin. On a soft fairway, my TM burner will hit and not go anywhere. If the fairways are super soft, it'll actually back up a foot in the fairway. Not so with the HD. The HD is a low spin machine with tons of roll out. That is definitely a big advantage over my TM.

One other thing I like about the nv-s is that it feels solid to swing. The stock REAX shaft in my TM is a bit 'whippy.' The nv-s feels like a quality shaft when your swinging it.

Finally, I think it's great that the nv-s shaft is the same shaft you get when you order the shaft separately through golfsmith or whoever. I remember Mr. Boccieri stating that many 'stock' shafts on off the shelf drivers are 'made to spec and price,' so that your getting essentially a cheap graphite shaft. Not so with Boccieri golf. The shaft in the driver is exactly the same as when you purchase the shaft separately. Just goes to show how much he wants to produce a high quality golf product.

I totally agree with the fact that it is great that this is the real deal shaft. It is a big let down when you pay a bunch of money for a driver only to find that the shaft is a watered down version of itself. This shaft is definitely the real deal and just adds to the overall value of this club.

This past Friday, I had the day off and was able to get out and play 18 late in the day. I played the Heavy Driver on all tee shots that called for the driver.
No.1 Par 4 – 291 yards. Set up down the left side. Hit a great slight high fade that ended up just right of center in the fairway. 44 yards left =247 yard drive. Got up and down for my first birdie of the day.
No.2 Par 3 – 125 yards. Played an 8 iron off the tee with a 10 mph wind in my face. Hit the green about 20 feet above the pin. Two putted for par.
No. 3 Par 4 – 330 yards. Again I set up aiming down the left side. With the wind coming in right to left I was playing for the cut into the wind which never came. The shot was nice and high and it held its line about two thirds of the way before landing in the left rough. 88 yards left = 242 yard drive. I hit a PW in and hit the lower center of the green only to have it roll off the right side. Chipped on with around 12 feet left for par. Two putted for a bogey.
Even
No.4 Par 5 – 510 yards. There is a creek that runs across the fairway at 205/215 yards with OB all down the right side, so normally I will hit a hybrid here. Today, I went with the HD. For this shot I aimed again down the left side and put my draw swing on it. I was very surprised to look up after impact to see the ball heading right down the left side and turning over slightly resulting in one of the best draws I had yet with this driver. I was able to carry the creek with ease and was left with 249 yards = 261 yard drive. I hit a near perfect 3 wood to just short of the green left. I pitched on and two putted for par.
Even
No.5 Par – 440 yards. The tee shot here is from a highly elevated tee over a tree lined creek with the fairway doglegging left. I set up yet again aiming down the left side and hit a great high fade that ended up just making the fairway just left of center. 210 yards left = 230 yard drive. I hit a 3 wood next aiming for the left side of the green and just over cut it a little which ended up in the deep rough right of the green. I hit my pitch shot a short distance just getting on the green. I then two putted for my second bogey of the day.
+1
No.6 Par 4 – 243 yards. Again aiming down the left side, I was able to hit a nearly dead straight drive ending up just short of the green. 11 yards left = 232 yard drive. I did a little low running pitch with a 8 iron and nearly holed it running 6 feet past. With my Heavy putter I was able to make the putt for my second birdie of the day.
Even
No.7 Par 4 – 379 yards. This time I was forced to aim a little more center of the fairway, so I tried to put a good draw swing on but failed to pull it off. The ball came off nice and high but over cut a bit to end up in the right rough. 152 left = 227 yard drive. Because of a creek running across the fairway with tall trees, I was forced to just lay up at the creek to have a clear shot into the green. With 96 yards left, I was able to hit a GW to the center of the green only to have the ball roll off to the fringe right (green slopes left to right). Lagged it close and putted in for my third bogey of the day.
+1
No.8 Par 3 – 165 yards. Hit a 6 iron here which landed just on the green. Lagged it up and ran it a good 8/10 feet past. Faced with a downhill putt, I was able to get it very close but not in making my forth bogey of the day.
+2
No.9 – Par 5 510 yards. Aiming down the center of the fairway, I tried to put my draw swing on once again but I hit a basic straight shot that ended up on the right edge of the fairway. 236 left = 274 yard drive (downhill). With a downhill lie, I went with 3 hybrid and hit it dead straight down the right side of the fairway. With 31 yards left, I hit a flop with my 56 degree wedge to less than five feet. I hit the perfect putt only to have it lip out. One more putt and I was in for par and a 38 on the first nine.
+2
Second 9;
No.10 Par 5 - 491 yards. With the tee box set to the left side of the fairway, I set up aiming down the left side. Again the ball came off high with a perfect fade flight. 232 yards left = 259 yard drive. With water protecting the green, the second shot here was a layup simply playing to a number. I had 167 to the water, so I hit a 7 iron to 84 yards. I hit a GW to around 20 feet. I two putted for par from there.
+2
No.11 Par 4 – 400 yards. I hit a perfect drive on this hole, a slight high fade, but into the wind a little. Ended up dead center in the fairway. 167 yards left = 233 yard drive. I hit a 6 iron in which hit the green but rolled off right. I then chipped as a bump and run with a hybrid to within a foot. One putted for par.
+2
No.12 Par 3 – 125 yards. I hit a 9 iron right missing the green. I chipped on with a wedge and two putted for fifth bogey.
+3
No.13 Par 4 – 438 yards. Again setting up down the left side, I hit a nice high fade that rolled out well. I was left with 147 yards = 291 yard drive. This was my best drive in a week or more. I hit a 7 iron onto the green to within four feet. I one putted for my third birdie of the day.
+2
No.14 Par 5 – 481 yards. I set up once again down the left side and this time I double crossed myself and hit a hard hook left. Lots of distance was lost on this one. 271 yards left = 210 yard drive. From hero, to zero! I hit a good 3 wood to the left side of the fairway leaving me 62 yards. I then hit a wedge in coming up short a good 25/30 feet. My lag putt came up short as well and I two putted from there making my sixth bogey.
+3
No.15 Par 4 – 360 yards. I hit a high fade that the wind took off with a bit landing in the right edge of the fairway but rolling out into the deep second cut. 98 yards left = 262 yard drive. Into the wind a little I hit a 9 iron which landed in the center of the green leaving me a breaking left to right putt. Got the first putt close and putted in for par.
+3
No.16 Par 3 – 203 yards. Into the wind today on this hole. I hit a 3 wood and pull hooked it into the water left. After dropping in the DZ, I was able to get a wedge shot to within 5 feet. I one putted for yet another bogey.
+4
No.17 Par 4 318 yards. I hit a great slight fade with the HD here which seemed to run forever. 59 yards left = 259 yard drive. I hit a wedge to the center of the green and two putted for par.
+4
No.18 Par 4 – 287 yards. With OB down the left side, I made sure I aimed a bit right. I could tell right off that this one was going to be a slicer as it came off the club face right away heading right. I ended up a couple of feet in knee deep heather and was lucky to just find it 78 yards from the green = 209 yard drive). I had to just hit it out, landing it 20 yards short of the green. Pitched on and two putted for my seventh bogey of the day.
+5 for the round. The 77 was the best round I have had yet with the Heavy Driver. By front nine was great and I lost focus a little on the back nine after a couple of bad shots.

This past Friday, I had the day off and was able to get out and play 18 late in the day. I played the Heavy Driver on all tee shots that called for the driver.
No.1 Par 4 – 291 yards. Set up down the left side. Hit a great slight high fade that ended up just right of center in the fairway. 44 yards left =247 yard drive. Got up and down for my first birdie of the day.
No.2 Par 3 – 125 yards. Played an 8 iron off the tee with a 10 mph wind in my face. Hit the green about 20 feet above the pin. Two putted for par.
No. 3 Par 4 – 330 yards. Again I set up aiming down the left side. With the wind coming in right to left I was playing for the cut into the wind which never came. The shot was nice and high and it held its line about two thirds of the way before landing in the left rough. 88 yards left = 242 yard drive. I hit a PW in and hit the lower center of the green only to have it roll off the right side. Chipped on with around 12 feet left for par. Two putted for a bogey.
Even
No.4 Par 5 – 510 yards. There is a creek that runs across the fairway at 205/215 yards with OB all down the right side, so normally I will hit a hybrid here. Today, I went with the HD. For this shot I aimed again down the left side and put my draw swing on it. I was very surprised to look up after impact to see the ball heading right down the left side and turning over slightly resulting in one of the best draws I had yet with this driver. I was able to carry the creek with ease and was left with 249 yards = 261 yard drive. I hit a near perfect 3 wood to just short of the green left. I pitched on and two putted for par.
Even
No.5 Par – 440 yards. The tee shot here is from a highly elevated tee over a tree lined creek with the fairway doglegging left. I set up yet again aiming down the left side and hit a great high fade that ended up just making the fairway just left of center. 210 yards left = 230 yard drive. I hit a 3 wood next aiming for the left side of the green and just over cut it a little which ended up in the deep rough right of the green. I hit my pitch shot a short distance just getting on the green. I then two putted for my second bogey of the day.
+1
No.6 Par 4 – 243 yards. Again aiming down the left side, I was able to hit a nearly dead straight drive ending up just short of the green. 11 yards left = 232 yard drive. I did a little low running pitch with a 8 iron and nearly holed it running 6 feet past. With my Heavy putter I was able to make the putt for my second birdie of the day.
Even
No.7 Par 4 – 379 yards. This time I was forced to aim a little more center of the fairway, so I tried to put a good draw swing on but failed to pull it off. The ball came off nice and high but over cut a bit to end up in the right rough. 152 left = 227 yard drive. Because of a creek running across the fairway with tall trees, I was forced to just lay up at the creek to have a clear shot into the green. With 96 yards left, I was able to hit a GW to the center of the green only to have the ball roll off to the fringe right (green slopes left to right). Lagged it close and putted in for my third bogey of the day.
+1
No.8 Par 3 – 165 yards. Hit a 6 iron here which landed just on the green. Lagged it up and ran it a good 8/10 feet past. Faced with a downhill putt, I was able to get it very close but not in making my forth bogey of the day.
+2
No.9 – Par 5 510 yards. Aiming down the center of the fairway, I tried to put my draw swing on once again but I hit a basic straight shot that ended up on the right edge of the fairway. 236 left = 274 yard drive (downhill). With a downhill lie, I went with 3 hybrid and hit it dead straight down the right side of the fairway. With 31 yards left, I hit a flop with my 56 degree wedge to less than five feet. I hit the perfect putt only to have it lip out. One more putt and I was in for par and a 38 on the first nine.
+2
Second 9;
No.10 Par 5 - 491 yards. With the tee box set to the left side of the fairway, I set up aiming down the left side. Again the ball came off high with a perfect fade flight. 232 yards left = 259 yard drive. With water protecting the green, the second shot here was a layup simply playing to a number. I had 167 to the water, so I hit a 7 iron to 84 yards. I hit a GW to around 20 feet. I two putted for par from there.
+2
No.11 Par 4 – 400 yards. I hit a perfect drive on this hole, a slight high fade, but into the wind a little. Ended up dead center in the fairway. 167 yards left = 233 yard drive. I hit a 6 iron in which hit the green but rolled off right. I then chipped as a bump and run with a hybrid to within a foot. One putted for par.
+2
No.12 Par 3 – 125 yards. I hit a 9 iron right missing the green. I chipped on with a wedge and two putted for fifth bogey.
+3
No.13 Par 4 – 438 yards. Again setting up down the left side, I hit a nice high fade that rolled out well. I was left with 147 yards = 291 yard drive. This was my best drive in a week or more. I hit a 7 iron onto the green to within four feet. I one putted for my third birdie of the day.
+2
No.14 Par 5 – 481 yards. I set up once again down the left side and this time I double crossed myself and hit a hard hook left. Lots of distance was lost on this one. 271 yards left = 210 yard drive. From hero, to zero! I hit a good 3 wood to the left side of the fairway leaving me 62 yards. I then hit a wedge in coming up short a good 25/30 feet. My lag putt came up short as well and I two putted from there making my sixth bogey.
+3
No.15 Par 4 – 360 yards. I hit a high fade that the wind took off with a bit landing in the right edge of the fairway but rolling out into the deep second cut. 98 yards left = 262 yard drive. Into the wind a little I hit a 9 iron which landed in the center of the green leaving me a breaking left to right putt. Got the first putt close and putted in for par.
+3
No.16 Par 3 – 203 yards. Into the wind today on this hole. I hit a 3 wood and pull hooked it into the water left. After dropping in the DZ, I was able to get a wedge shot to within 5 feet. I one putted for yet another bogey.
+4
No.17 Par 4 318 yards. I hit a great slight fade with the HD here which seemed to run forever. 59 yards left = 259 yard drive. I hit a wedge to the center of the green and two putted for par.
+4
No.18 Par 4 – 287 yards. With OB down the left side, I made sure I aimed a bit right. I could tell right off that this one was going to be a slicer as it came off the club face right away heading right. I ended up a couple of feet in knee deep heather and was lucky to just find it 78 yards from the green = 209 yard drive). I had to just hit it out, landing it 20 yards short of the green. Pitched on and two putted for my seventh bogey of the day.
+5 for the round. The 77 was the best round I have had yet with the Heavy Driver. By front nine was great and I lost focus a little on the back nine after a couple of bad shots.

I really like these summaries - thanks for providing.

I do have a question though how you determine the driving distance. Are you using a GPS or Laser, or subtracting distance left to hole from yardage on tee box? If it is the latter then you might be off on the yardages (both too much and too little). For instance, on the last hole you say you pushed your drive way right and it sliced, resulting in a 209 yard drive. Depending on how the hole sets up, this could have really been a 230+ yard drive. Picture hitting a drive on a 300 yard hole pin high but 50 yards right. Since you have 50 yards left to the center of the green, you did not hit a 250 yard drive. You really hit one like 310 or so. This is not a criticism in any way - I really enjoy reading your summaries.

All yardages are done with a GPS. I did not mark any shots from the tee as a target, from tee to ball. Yardages were noted in my notebook based on what I had left to the center of the green on each hole. It is hard enough to play and take notes, without adding the target yardages and holding anyone up behind.

Thanks for the explanation. Based on how well you are hitting the driver, are you seeing your handicap come down? I would kill to hit my driver as consistently as you!

Thanks for the explanation. Based on how well you are hitting the driver, are you seeing your handicap come down? I would kill to hit my driver as consistently as you!

the handicap will drop when the putts start to....

Agreed on the tip. I gamed this very same shaft about 2 years ago in my TM R9 460. It works great with my 9* Loft. Its a solid shaft from Adila.

Sounds like you should check out the NV Shaft.

My index has been dropping over the past couple of months but I think it is more from my much improved short game/putting. Helps to hit fairways for sure, and although I have had a few good rounds with the HD, I'm still not where I would like it to be. Seems I'm good one time out with it but not the next. Takes me more time than some to get a driver figured out. It is just not as forgiving as I would like but I have shown some hope with it. I still think Mr. Boccieri is on to something with this counterweighting.

I seriously think the Heavy Putter is the reason for my improved scoring. The putter is a real homerun for me.

I know what you mean about getting used to a driver. I just picked up a new one. It has a square face angle compared to the open face angle I have been using. I realized I had been closing down the old driver at address to help hit it straight since I was hooking the heck out of the new one. I have to make a conscious effort to leave the face angle square at address. The results are pretty when I do this, but if I forget - look out!

Good to hear about the putter. I have a Bobby Grace AMG. While not a "heavy" putter, the head weight is 380 grams and the grip is 75, so the overall weight is much heavier than a standard putter. I love it, especially for distance control.

I have my own late summer driver shootout scheduled for my range session tomorrow. I will be testing the Heavy Driver 9*, The Srixon Z Star 9*, and my current TM SuperTri 9.5*. All are standard length and in stiff shafts. Will post my thoughts tomorrow night or so.

Just a quick update on my progress, or lack thereof. I still can't get this driver off the ground. It's very confusing, because I'm hitting my 9.5 TM Burner higher than I ever have before, but with all the progress I've made with the TM, I've made no progress with the HD. It still hits low. I will say that at least it slices less than it used to.

I also had my dad try it out, just for kicks. He has a slow swing speed, being a year shy of the 'senior tees.' He definitely hit it a lot higher than I ever did. He also suffered from push/fades though. He said he liked how it felt, but couldn't get the thing started down his target line. Now, that's just about 10 swings, so its not like that's a great test of the driver's abilities. But there are some positives. He liked how it felt, he hit it higher than me (even though it has a stiff shaft), and I probably could have gotten him to hit it straight if I had just made some 'swing' suggestions to him, but I wanted to see the 'raw' result.

He definitely liked the way it looked and loved the way it felt when he swung it.

Rain plagued yet again. It seems like any time I get some time to play golf, rain is near. Hurricane Irene isn't going to be helping the cause.

As I wrote earlier, my wife has unbelievable success with the HD. She has never been fit and is not really serious at all about golf, but she likes to play a time or two a week. I bought her a 11 degree BB Callaway driver a few years ago with a really light ladies shaft and she also now has a Callaway 13 degree driver with her Solaire set of clubs with a light ladies flex shaft.

For whatever reason she hits the HD at least 50 yards farther than either of her other drivers. Her swingspeed, never measured, appears to be pretty slow, but the shaft seems to just work for her. Hard to figure out. She also hits it dead straight most of the time. Some days, she plays during the day with other ladies and when I get home and get ready to head to the course, I find the driver in her bag.

As I wrote earlier, my wife has unbelievable success with the HD. She has never been fit and is not really serious at all about golf, but she likes to play a time or two a week. I bought her a 11 degree BB Callaway driver a few years ago with a really light ladies shaft and she also now has a Callaway 13 degree driver with her Solaire set of clubs with a light ladies flex shaft.

For whatever reason she hits the HD at least 50 yards farther than either of her other drivers. Her swingspeed, never measured, appears to be pretty slow, but the shaft seems to just work for her. Hard to figure out. She also hits it dead straight most of the time. Some days, she plays during the day with other ladies and when I get home and get ready to head to the course, I find the driver in her bag.

That is awesome! I went to the driving range yesterday for a bit and I was hitting the HD. The guy next to me noticed the unique sound and asked me what it was. I was gushing about my love for this driver and he asked if he could hit it. I told him absolutely, and this 60 year old guy was just stripping it. I was impressed because mine has an X Stiff shaft in it. He asked where he could get one and I was so happy to tell him that the closest golf shop to us, Fiddlers Green, has them. His eyes lit up! I think there maybe another Heavy Driver at that driving range soon!

Back