Craig Mac

Reaction score
Well I told you I would do this tomorrow, but since I am thinking about it.... For years I played hand me down clubs, blades specificly. I played about once every two weeks at about an 18 handicap, always been a fairly long hitter, and use to play a small slice. However about 4 years ago I upgraded to cavity backed irons, started playing a little more often and dropped to an 11 handicap. My ball flight when switching went from the old slice to straight upon switching and has now turned in to a draw. My misses with the blades were big slices and my misses with the cavities now are big pulls.

So with that being said, how much of todays equipment can be accountable for ball flight. I had a pro tell me a couple years back that my hook was do to the difference of my clubs being more offset than the old blades I was using. Everytime I demo a hybrid that is offset all I can do is pull hook them. If I try one that isn't offset I can hit "forced" fades, where I couldn't with the offset ones. Am I crazy here or does my self-analysis hold any truth?

To answer your question today's equipment is about 99.9% of the change in your ball flight. Starting out with hand me down blades (like most of us) you learn to find the sweet spot on non off-set very unforgiving clubs. The off-set on todays cast cavity back irons has a lot to do with the new found draw. The biggest thing that is overlooked when it comes to the modern clubs is the shafts. I would venture to guess in the hand me downs you are lacking shaft labels and they feel like they have a lot more play in them than your new irons. In the days of the old blade there is completely different way to swing the club versus today. Now we are forced into a more trapping type of angle of attack with clubs designed to throw the ball higher and softer (plus straighter and more spinning) than in the past. There is no dneying that the clubs are easier to hit and tend not to go right (for right handed players). As for the hybrids I had the same problem with off-set clubs. I hit them left to left and it killed me. Find one with little or no off-set with the correct loft and I think that you will fall in love with it. I hope this helps and keep hitting it long and straight! You are not crazy non-offset hybrids are easy to work and offset ones are designed to take the right side out of the picture!

Thanks for the reply, so as a pro what would you recommend, get fitted for a new set of irons? reshaft current set? lessons?

Thanks for the reply, so as a pro what would you recommend, get fitted for a new set of irons? reshaft current set? lessons?

Craig,

It all depends on what your unsatisfied with right now. I mean I don't believe "buying new equipment makes you a better player" but it sure does give you a huge jump in your play. The confidence you obtain is unreal.

It all depends on your clubs as well, for Example:

Lange had an old driver that had a face that was completely rounded, which put massive spin on the ball giving him a huge slice. It was a complete problem and needed to be fixed. After getting a new driver he no longer had that problem, and can drive straight as an arrow now 8/10 times.

It's not an excuse that the equipment is awful and it is broken, but sometimes It just won't fit your game.

The technology is so advanced now even the shafts can affect your ball flight. Go around, try some new irons and see how it feels.

My thoughts on equipment is very simple. Find a brand name that you trust. Find the club head that you like the look of. Then get fit for that club! All pro-line equipment is good. As long as you are looking at big name stuff (familiar name products) you will be fine. Getting equipment fit to you makes a good club GREAT!!! So if that means simple loft and lie adjustments with your current clubs do it. I only go the resaft route if you really love the heads and the fit you perfect. If they are ok and need shafting and other adjustments....in the long run new gear fit to you is the better way to go. Hope that helps!

all great advice here... well, first off take your time and give yourself the ability to look throughout the market at what is currently available and being released. I'd also suggest to not limit yourself to brands, major manufacturers all make great models of irons and different sets with meet different needs.

as mentioned above, cannot stress the importance of a proper fitting. demo, demo, demo!

First off, I really want to avoid buying new clubs, but my question was more of a "which is more the cause" type of thing. I quickly saw a change in shot shape when switching to the new clubs, and at the time since I couldn't hit a draw I thought that it was a "good" thing, well now it is a nightmare for me. I could control the fade more where the hook just goes wherever the hell it wants to. The bottom line in my question to Andy was, is it more worth it to get lessons to try to correct the problem or to find clubs that better fit my game. I feel as if I am a pretty solid ball striker for the most part, but also feel like I just pull about every shot. I think I just need to go out a few times and play with some different clubs and see what happens, before I spend a bunch of money on anything.

To answer the question it is a little of both. I would see the local pro and see what his thoughts are on your swing. If there is something that he can do to help you work back into a baby fade with the new irons it is worth the effort. Your local pro will also be able to tell rather quickly if the equipment you are playing truly fits and works for you. Start on the range with an instructor and work from there. I wish you all the luck getting your game back to where you want it.

Thanks. I have had bad lessons the last two I took. For starters they were free, one was a raffle prize my Mom won from a PGA pro, and the other a Golf Galaxy lesson from a pro my Boss got me. Both of the lessons were indoors and I saw no results from hitting balls indoors, which made me feel, "this may or may not be working". There is a pretty notable instructor near me that does a half day school with 4 students, thinking of looking in to that as it's not too pricey.

Thanks. I have had bad lessons the last two I took. For starters they were free, one was a raffle prize my Mom won from a PGA pro, and the other a Golf Galaxy lesson from a pro my Boss got me. Both of the lessons were indoors and I saw no results from hitting balls indoors, which made me feel, "this may or may not be working". There is a pretty notable instructor near me that does a half day school with 4 students, thinking of looking in to that as it's not too pricey.

Craig... I see what you are saying. I have never taken a lesson for that reason. I had a brief 5 minute session to see if I wanted to work with an instructor at GolfTec. For one, I am certainly a feel player so I did not enjoy having wires and measurement tools added to my body and equipment. Secondly, hitting indoors is useless if you are working on ball flight. I am a pretty consistent ball striker so now I am working on controlling my ballflight and better shots on demand. I cannot turn the ball over with command right to left if is needed... and many time it is needed to avoid hazards and the fact that I am not a smart player (I tend to go for any flag regardless of the situation).

Avoiding indoor lessons I have ran into several dead ends... either the pro is useless or he is great and VERY expensive. A local teacher here charges over 100 dollars for an hour of one of one lessons, I cannot fork over that kind of money.

DD,
When you come down here, you will have to meet our resident pro amollerud. He is very much a teacher based on feel and has helped so many people. And as always all THP members get their first lesson free.

DD,
When you come down here, you will have to meet our resident pro amollerud. He is very much a teacher based on feel and has helped so many people. And as always all THP members get their first lesson free.

Amollerud -- that's very generous! I loved the clips of your swing on the THP TV demo.

I have lessons coming my way as a result of a christmas gift, and if the firdt few go well I plan to continue them throughou next season. I'm looking forward to getting going with them as soon as the weather warms up again in DC. I strongly believe that lessons are the best money you can spend in golf assuming you have a reasonable set of equipment.

I strongly believe that lessons are the best money you can spend in golf assuming you have a reasonable set of equipment.

I do as well but so many teachers waste your time... a lesson on your grip. Honestly, for a 100 bucks don't spend to much time working on my grip... it's annoying

DD,
Many coaches would disagree. That can be one of the most common issues out there.

DD,
Many coaches would disagree. That can be one of the most common issues out there.

I have thick mitts so I can't play a strong grip and even struggle with a neutral grip position... a good teacher coaches around you and not his system

That I agree with, but it must be looked at when starting lessons.

I do as well but so many teachers waste your time... a lesson on your grip. Honestly, for a 100 bucks don't spend to much time working on my grip... it's annoying

DD -- no doubt it's crucial that you pair up with the right teacher for you. No point paying for lessons from someone whose not going to respond to the particular student's needs. I also tend to agree with you about indoor work. I much preffer to go out in the grass and swing. An occasional video review can be helpful, but there's a limit to the usefulness for me at least of the high tech analytical stuff.

A little OT, but we are working with a great software company so that we will have the ability to analyze golf swings and give feedback. By we, I mean amollerud.

A little OT, but we are working with a great software company so that we will have the ability to analyze golf swings and give feedback. By we, I mean amollerud.

More great news, JB.

sounds awesome... need to pick myself up a solid video camera that can shoot a high frame by frame rate

DD,

Totally agree. The grip is often the root of many other problems. A good instructor will always start with the grip.

When I started with my current pro, we spent 2 entire lessons on the grip. And he still makes me go back to it every lesson.

Re video cameras, I recently bought a Casio Vexia HD. It offers a choice of 24p (cinematic), 30p, or 60i FPS. It also permits adjustment of the shutter speed up to around 2000/sec, I think, which is necessary to prevent excessive blurring of the club through impact. Runsabout 600-700 bones. Also, I think Panasonic and Sony both have HD cameras with a super slo mo feature that records in like 200+ FPS. There's some samples of those on youtube I think.

Our Samsung HD also offers super slo mo.

It is great to hear everyone sharing there lesson experience. I feel that it is crucial to find an instructor who fits your game and your needs. I agree that the grip is critical to the golf swing but you guys are right there are other things that can be worked on without the tourture of a grip change. JB and I have some great stuff coming this way! I am so excited to get started!!!!

Back