Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels awesome! Especially since I've been working so hard at it, to finally achieve the goal feels great :)

P.S. Congrats on that 40!

Thanks! And I remember breaking that 100 barrier for the first time. It was 6 years ago. I played much more back then. I twas a long time until I could do it again, but if you keep at it, like it was stated earlier, we will see you in the "90" forum. Congrats on the accomplishment!

Congrats to all those who have been doing well recently. I played my first full round for about a month on Sunday and it didn't go well - 104 NET!!! That meant I shot a 132 gross. Don't know what was going on, but I just couldn't hit anything properly and had only 3 decent holes. Lots of topped shots or slices, and anything hit reasonably well had no height on it, so I definitely wasn't getting under the ball. The good thing is that I didn't get annoyed or frustrated as it was the first time I'd played a full round for a while and was just happy to be out there hitting the ball, albeit badly!!

The only frustrating thing is that I've been hitting the ball well when playing 5 - 10 holes recently, so this round was completely out of the blue. It didn't help that it was a medal comp, so I had to play to the cup on every hole, but I suppose it's all experience. Need to get out on the range sometime this week and see if I can work out exactly what was going wrong in my swing.

Finally broke 100 today, not only broke it but smashed my previous best (101) with a 92! Par 72 course (35 front 37 back), I went 43 & 49. What a great feeling, I knew I had the game to do it, but could never put together 2 good 9's. It all came together today, driving, ball striking, short game, & putting. 5 pars in the round, and nothing worse than triple bogey. I credit this video with a big part of my ball striking improvement, thanks to "farmgolf" for posting it.

Good to know that this advice helped you too, felit0. For me this has definitely improved my iron play from fairways, I still need more consistency on my tee shots and short game. I now played few times on well maintained , par 72 course and usually I am there in the 115 to 120 shots range. Today I played nine holes and it was quite an improvement .- just 50 shots ! The key to low score is to have stable solid results on all holes and not have a bad hole, and that was the case today as my highest score was 7 (usually there are few higher). I played also 3 additional holes but then it was too dark to continue.
The driving off tees(for now I am using hybrids from tee) was not much better as on other days, but the key to improvement were some accurate Sw shots from 50 yards and closer and much better putting. And on the 130 yards par 3 the Wilson club saved me, I could feel that the hit was not good but still the ball landed few yards from the flag.
But the weather is getting colder so I guess under 100 will have to wait till next year, as I will now mostly play 9 holes on warmer days.

Last edited:
Hi everyone...

My name is BigK...and I have a problem. I'm way, way over 100! I haven't gotten a full round in in a month or so, so I don't know how bad off I am right now. But, I am joining the quest!

I think my biggest issue right now is club choice and putting. I want the distance, but I'm not consistent at all with my long irons, driver or fairway wood. I could play 6-PW off the tees, but that gets to be a littttle annoying.

Went out today and played a course I haven't played in a few years. Got on dirt cheap compared to actual greens fee, so I went for my birthday. Shot a 109, and lost 9 balls. Not the greatest round, but, I hit the last 5 fairways, so that's improving. Only hit 1 green though, so I spent half the day looking for balls in 3 foot long prairie grass, and the other half, scrambling around the greens. Taking a couple of days off, then playing friday saturday and sunday, so, hopefully it will all come together by sunday.

Shot 101 yesterday, I hadnt played in a month and 4 putted twice and hung a pair of 8s and a 9. Fun round but frustrating score, I gotta get into the 90s consistently and go from there.

It seems like I'm in a rut. I can't seem to crack 100, only twice and barely. But now, no matter how I play, I score a 102. I can't seem to get under 100 at all :confused2: I'm happy with a 102, but for like 6 rounds now I've shot a 102.

It seems like I'm in a rut. I can't seem to crack 100, only twice and barely. But now, no matter how I play, I score a 102. I can't seem to get under 100 at all :confused2: I'm happy with a 102, but for like 6 rounds now I've shot a 102.

Been there done that got the t-shirt. I'm currently struggling with the 90 mark. The 100 mark was last year. It's hard to say where you could be loosing strokes, but when I look back at the stats over my past few rounds I can usually pick out areas I need to work on. For me it's keeping the ball in play off the tee and GIR. For you it could be something totally different.

I like how Tony Horton says it on P90X. You got to know where you've been so you know where you are going. (in reference to keeping track of reps and weights) Same goes for golf in my experience.

I'm sure you only meant to vent and not get a book, but hope it helps anyway. (Ignore me either way. Always trying to help lol)

Shot a 97 yesterday, the kicker is that I kept up with my 10~ handicap buddy in the front 9 with a 43. Then I got a little loose and lost some concentration in the back and shot a 54 :( I think I have the skills to shoot in the low 90s possibly high 80s consistently, but I can't seem to put an entire round together. It's always "A Tale of 2 Nines" for me...

Breaking 100 is really not an issue for me. Once is a while out of season I will slip over, usually because of penalties. You just can't 3-putt, get on in two over GIR (on in 4 on a par 4) and get penalties. What really helped me is to stop obsessing over score. Play rounds with only irons, roll a die on each shot to pick your club, etc... get to know every club you have. Have someone else keep score for you. Don't even count your score yourself. Let them count every shot for you, and see what you got after 18. You'd be amazed how much that helps. Don't worry about score!

For those trying to break that elusive number. Work on short game. You'll save so many strokes that it'll be silly. You'll get there.

Alex

Congrats! Keep at it. Hope to break 100 with more consistency this year. Got new Di11 irons that I hope help. Felit, thanks for the link to the Shawn Clement video a few months back. I just watched it and cant wait to get out and work on that.

Shot a 97 yesterday, the kicker is that I kept up with my 10~ handicap buddy in the front 9 with a 43. Then I got a little loose and lost some concentration in the back and shot a 54 :( I think I have the skills to shoot in the low 90s possibly high 80s consistently, but I can't seem to put an entire round together. It's always "A Tale of 2 Nines" for me...

One of my (many) dreams is to own a short game practice facility. I know of only one in my area but it's 1 1/2 hrs away. I work very hard on 150 yards and in. Other than that?........

FUNDAMENTALS.

I know a lot of folks don't like working on the short game....they consider it boring. But I'm sort of a weirdo and love it. LOL.

Felit, thanks for the link to the Shawn Clement video a few months back. I just watched it and cant wait to get out and work on that.
You're welcome! I can attest I have become a better ball striker thanks to that video.

I can remember when I struggled to break 100. The biggest thing I had to conquer was playing smarter. Leaving the driver in the bag on short holes, aiming for the middle of the green rather than the pin, aiming away from trouble (bunkers etc), taking an extra club and swinging smoother and more under controlled, and working on the short game. Once I learned how to play smarter, the score came down.

Reactions: JB
I can remember when I struggled to break 100. The biggest thing I had to conquer was playing smarter. Leaving the driver in the bag on short holes, aiming for the middle of the green rather than the pin, aiming away from trouble (bunkers etc), taking an extra club and swinging smoother and more under controlled, and working on the short game. Once I learned how to play smarter, the score came down.

That is good stuff Charles.

It was probably mentioned but I think the biggest thing is elimination of the big numbers. keeping the ball in play and out of the water. sounds simple but adding extra strokes for silly mistakes is where I see alot of high handicappers have the most trouble. Second thing is swinging to hard. the harder you swing the more spin and loft are put on the ball. Soo..... dont swing hard. let the club do the work. Lastly, around the green i suggest putting everything you can. until you have better feel chipping. most high handicappers slow thier swings during a chip. I suggest it even if its 10 yards off the green. its better then not advancing it. Just some suggestions.

Need to work on driving. Hit only a couple fairways. Those 2 fairways I hit, I made par on both. Also 44 putted. I have been practicing both and think my putting has improved dramatically over the past week. Driving still needs a lot of work but I have a good feeling about this weekend.

It was probably mentioned but I think the biggest thing is elimination of the big numbers. keeping the ball in play and out of the water. sounds simple but adding extra strokes for silly mistakes is where I see alot of high handicappers have the most trouble. Second thing is swinging to hard. the harder you swing the more spin and loft are put on the ball. Soo..... dont swing hard. let the club do the work. Lastly, around the green i suggest putting everything you can. until you have better feel chipping. most high handicappers slow thier swings during a chip. I suggest it even if its 10 yards off the green. its better then not advancing it. Just some suggestions.
Welcome to THP!

I am glad to see the success everyone has had. I've moved on looking to break 90 now, my last three rounds were 93, 95, 94; almost there. I agree with the focus on the short game, I've put more time in practicing around the green. Last weekend I saved par 4 times by being able to get up and down. Now I need to keep the big scores off the card and hit more fairways.

I am at the begininng of this journey to break 100! I only have a few rounds under my belt and am currently playing double bogey golf. I have to work on being in the fairway, hitting it solidly (seem to have a flub on 2 out of 3 holes) and putting, I don't think I have 1-putted a hole yet. I have caught the golf bug bad and am sure I will be able to break 100 this year. Since my last round in November (had a baby and have not been able to play since) I have bought new clubs (the last set were just awful so this should help) and been to the range probably a dozen times. I have a more consistent swing and am continuing to progess on my putting and chipping.

I really think this thread will be good to give me ideas for where to continue improving.

I am at the begininng of this journey to break 100! I only have a few rounds under my belt and am currently playing double bogey golf. I have to work on being in the fairway, hitting it solidly (seem to have a flub on 2 out of 3 holes) and putting, I don't think I have 1-putted a hole yet. I have caught the golf bug bad and am sure I will be able to break 100 this year. Since my last round in November (had a baby and have not been able to play since) I have bought new clubs (the last set were just awful so this should help) and been to the range probably a dozen times. I have a more consistent swing and am continuing to progess on my putting and chipping.

I really think this thread will be good to give me ideas for where to continue improving.

Good luck on your journey. One that I started less than 3 years ago and am now shooting anywhere from 85-95. Like Charles D recommended above play smart and to distances you are comfortable with.

My biggest issue was to stop thinking about my swing mechanics while out on the course. Once I went with the swing I had that day I found playing for that and getting under 100 wasn't as hard.

Again good luck and keep posting your progress. There are alot of great advise givers on this forum.

My biggest issue was to stop thinking about my swing mechanics while out on the course. Once I went with the swing I had that day I found playing for that and getting under 100 wasn't as hard.

That's a great point. I try to avoid fixing my swing out on the course. Get's too many thoughts in your head and makes it worse. Also, when I'm playing poorly, I try to slow things down. Get into a slower, more deliberate pace.

The easiest way to break 100 is to play bogey. Once you make double bogeys and double pars, your score will get pass 100. If you make bogeys on all of your holes, you still have 90. So it won't be easy for most golfers.

Play smarter.....when you hit a bad shot, take your medicine...pitch the ball back in play and give yourself a reasonable chance on the next shot...don't try to hit that "HERO" shot under the tree around the corner and over the bunker...that's what turns a bogey or double into a triple or a quad....pitch out hit a good shot and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back