What is your course missing?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Every course I play seems to be missing something. Not really wants, but rather needs. At the course you call home, what is it missing?

Every course I play seems to be missing something. Not really wants, but rather needs. At the course you call home, what is it missing?

The club I called home was missing real links grass. It was a links course, and on alot of the holes, I could cut the corner without thinking twice.

Memberships for people.

Bunkers.
My course is severely lacking in bunkers. The sand is usually non-existant.

My course is missing ...... ME. I need to be out there more often and then my home course will be complete.

My home course is missing class, sophistication and a dress code. Let me put it this way. At my home course, Im probably the ONLY person who doesnt play in jeans or cargo shorts.
When I walk up with my polo shirt and khakis on, they all look at me like Im some kinda golf pro. Then they see me swing and they realize Im just a hack who dresses nice when he plays golf.

The club I called home was missing real links grass. It was a links course, and on alot of the holes, I could cut the corner without thinking twice.

are you talking about "fescue"?

definition between fairway and rough!

Theres a links style course not far from where I live that is like what Dent is talking about.
They used to just mow the fairway, so you would pretty much have really short fairway and then 8" deep rough.
Now, they more the rough once a month, so it never gets taller than 4" and it doesnt get nearly as thick as it used to be.
It used to be that if you hit your ball in the rough, chances are you would never find it; but now you can usually find your ball pretty easily.
Im guessing that not enough people played the links course (the golf course has an 18-hole regular course and then a 9-hole links course) because it was so much harder, so they shortened the rough to drum up business.

my course needs warm weather and heated bays

Technically, it probably needs more water hazards. Old course, with lots of trees. Very classic design, with little water. But I hate water, so although the course may be missing it, I'm not.

It needs 2 major things:

New bunkers. I have a sneaking suspicion that they haven't had any real maintenance in my lifetime. They hold water, and you can forget ever having 'fluffy' sand. I believe that some of them used to be a whole lot deeper than they are now, most of them are nearly flat from being re-filled with sand over the years. They need to be dug out, re-shaped, new french drains installed, weed guard and some good quality sand, not playbox sand.

Dress code. Blue jeans are a disgrace to the game (this, coming from the guy who wears boots and jeans almost every single day!)

Decent rangers!

A course near me, which only runs $12.50 to walk 9 during the week, has the single best feature I have ever seen. On the 9th teebox, they have posted the menu for the clubhouse grill, and there is a phone right next to it. You call in your order, play the 9th hole, and your food is waiting for you when you get there. Every course should have this.

Many of the clubs near me have that. We love it. Some have it right on the GPS and its a touchscreen menu.

A course near me, which only runs $12.50 to walk 9 during the week, has the single best feature I have ever seen. On the 9th teebox, they have posted the menu for the clubhouse grill, and there is a phone right next to it. You call in your order, play the 9th hole, and your food is waiting for you when you get there. Every course should have this.

Many of the clubs near me have that. We love it. Some have it right on the GPS and its a touchscreen menu.
None of the courses around here that I know of have that. I wish they did, 'cause thats pretty sweet! :clapp:

Mine is fine. They just put in a new practice green and got all new carts. One thing it does need IMO is more bathrooms on the course.

Nothing. My home course has three different style golf courses. The practice facilities are great (range, two putting greens, two pitching greens with bunkers, one chipping green that allows putting also). The club house and pro shop is top notch. All of the courses have bathrooms every four holes. The conditions of the courses are emaculate and the cart girls come around numerous times during each round. The staff is friendly and customer service is great.

Reactions: JB
Not just my home course, but every course near me really needs to get the cart girls out a little earlier. I usually never see them until the 16th or 17th. We also need better practice facilities around here. Its tuff to find a grass range and decent balls. This is one of the main reasons im going to start looking at a club soon.

My home course is missing class, sophistication and a dress code.

Same deal here, we get all sorts of folks wearing wife beaters, raggy jean shorts, etc.

New bunkers. I have a sneaking suspicion that they haven't had any real maintenance in my lifetime. They hold water, and you can forget ever having 'fluffy' sand. I believe that some of them used to be a whole lot deeper than they are now, most of them are nearly flat from being re-filled with sand over the years. They need to be dug out, re-shaped, new french drains installed, weed guard and some good quality sand, not playbox sand.

Dress code. Blue jeans are a disgrace to the game (this, coming from the guy who wears boots and jeans almost every single day!)

My course needs totally different bunkers, the ones currently there are very similar to what you describe, plus to be honest they aren't in anyway a threat since most of them are nowhere near the greens or where the typical ball may end up landing.

I agree with the ordering some food on the 9th tee. Only course I can remember having that was Pacific Grove. We didn't use it but they had it.

I agree with the ordering some food on the 9th tee. Only course I can remember having that was Pacific Grove. We didn't use it but they had it.

Every course I have played here that utilized GPS carts has that feature. Most of the others that don't have GPS, at least have a menu in the carts & you can call the clubhouse to have your food waiting for you at the turn.

went golfing today and at the course where we played, they are missing:

Reactions: JB
Back