The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plants his facemask in the neck area of McCoy. If he'd have used the crown of his helmet here they might both be dead.

Steel Tappin'

How is this not him using the crown of his helmet?

Untitled-7.png

Zero consistency maybe and no I dont believe the guy will be stained for the rest of his career. However he led with his head...AGAIN regardless of the situation. If he wanted to make a change, he could do so and I think has for much of the season. However to me, this was a blatant hit. Not blatant in regards to whether the QB was passing or not, but blatant in that Harrison clearly led with his head and face and at no time made any attempt to hit properly. Therefore with 4 issues last year, it was time to suspend for a game. Ironically many inside the game thought he would get 2 games.

We all know this issue is led by fans and that if its their own players or own QB involved, they see less issues with it. I understand that, I dont agree with it, but I understand it. Its the same thing with arrests, and everything else as it pertains to those we root for. However the easiest fix is by the man himself. Dont lead with your head and you dont have issues.

But that's last year. Is there no statute of limitations on how far back they can go when determining punishments? Will those hits last year stain him in the eyes of the league forever?

I just have a hard time being convinced of this one. I've seen worse hits this season, without question, and we'll see worse hits as the year progresses. Zero consistency.

Does Haynesworth get a break just becuse he hasn't stomped on a guys head in 4 years?

I agree with the last statement..to some extent. Sure, they're elite athletes but they're also going up against other elite athletes. Something has to give.

As far as his past, how long does that come into play? Do his past actions or his comments about Goodell harm him more in this case? Remember, Harrison has not had a personal foul or fine yet this season until now.

Steel Tappin'

Unfortunately for him, it's never going to leave imo. He built this reputation and he has to know it's there. He's hurting himself and his team by continuing to play the way he does. I believe he even said he wasn't going to change the way he plays. Well, then let the games begin. Right or wrong he knows what's going to happen.

Believe me, I think the rules are necessary. Without question. I've been diagnosed with 7 concussions in my life and I'm 22 - and that's just the one's that have been medically diagnosed. I'd guess the number is higher. I've been carted off in an ambulance and strapped to a neck board for hours before - it's scary and I'd never wish that upon anyone. However, the NFL needs to establish a greater level of clarity and consistency with all of this helmet-to-helmet stuff.

Steel Tappin'

Believe me, I think the rules are necessary. Without question. I've been diagnosed with 7 concussions in my life and I'm 22 - and that's just the one's that have been medically diagnosed. I'd guess the number is higher. I've been carted off in an ambulance and strapped to a neck board for hours before - it's scary and I'd never wish that upon anyone. However, the NFL needs to establish a greater level of clarity and consistency with all of this helmet-to-helmet stuff.

Steel Tappin'

They have. Hit a guy with your helmet, you will get fined or suspended.

You're not the only one here who as had head injuries. One of these days somebody is going to die because of a hit like this. That is what the league is trying to avoid.

They need to teach kids better when they're little to not lead with their helmets. That is probably one of the best ways to eliminate this problem. A hit with your head up leading with your shoulder is just as hard. Guys don't seem to understand that.

They need to teach kids better when they're little to not lead with their helmets. That is probably one of the best ways to eliminate this problem. A hit with your head up leading with your shoulder is just as hard. Guys don't seem to understand that.

They do teach kids that. But players as get older, they get lazier apperently.

My coach had us do tackling drills with out our helmets on. Take the helmets off, and you will see you knows how to make a good form tackle.

My coach had us do tackling drills with out our helmets on. Take the helmets off, and you will see you knows how to make a good form tackle.

Well they don't teach it that well around here. Hopefully guys in the NFL will learn eventually.

Well they don't teach it that well around here. Hopefully guys in the NFL will learn eventually.

Have them play in leather helmets again. Just to see how much tackling changes.

Have them play in leather helmets again. Just to see how much tackling changes.

That would be okay, except that I feel like sombody would hit their head on someone's pads and really get hurt.

That would be okay, except that I feel like sombody would hit their head on someone's pads and really get hurt.

So get rid of the pads. Rugby players do it every game.

Down in Texas they ALWAYS told us to keep your head up and lead with your shoulder pad not head. No matter what you were doing. Playing football with your head down is never a good idea.

You're not the only one here who as had head injuries. One of these days somebody is going to die because of a hit like this. That is what the league is trying to avoid.

Nor did I say I'm the only one who's suffered a head injury. If we see a kid on our team showing even the slightest signs of a concussion he's done. Period.

You may say the league has established clarity but that's far from true. The rules are muddled and inconsistent. It's not true that all helmet-to-helmet hits are illegal in the NFL. Not true at all. And they're far from clear or consistent in making the calls.

But I digress. I could spin in circles with this all day. Go Steelers.

Steel Tappin'

Down in Texas they ALWAYS told us to keep your head up and lead with your shoulder pad not head. No matter what you were doing. Playing football with your head down is never a good idea.

Playing football with your head down is how you end up dumb like Wisconsin people...

wait...

Since that debate is now over... let's talk about the Bears. Two huge questions I have..

1. Why is Caleb Hanie dressing in a NFL uniform?
2. Why does Lovie Smith still have a job?
3. Does Zack Bowman realize a play starts when the whistle blows?

Talk about it....

Nor did I say I'm the only one who's suffered a head injury. If we see a kid on our team showing even the slightest signs of a concussion he's done. Period.

You may say the league has established clarity but that's far from true. The rules are muddled and inconsistent. It's not true that all helmet-to-helmet hits are illegal in the NFL. Not true at all. And they're far from clear or consistent in making the calls.

But I digress. I could spin in circles with this all day. Go Steelers.

Steel Tappin'

This I agree with. Like take a RB for instance. Totally legal for them to lead with the helmet and hit someone. Seems kind of odd to me. And I think they really have to address the consistency or lack there of this off season.

Since that debate is now over... let's talk about the Bears. Two huge questions I have..

Talk about it....

Which two of the three would you like us to talk about?

Caleb Haney is in an NFL uniform because ... it's the Bears is it's unexplainable
Lovie Smith still has job because... it's the Bears so it's unexplainable.

Which two of the three would you like us to talk about?

Caleb Haney is in an NFL uniform because ... it's the Bears is it's unexplainable
Lovie Smith still has job because... it's the Bears so it's unexplainable.

Those were the two huge ones... It just baffles me.

Playing football with your head down is how you end up dumb like Wisconsin people...

wait...

LOL Id rep you for that one... but I think I already did for something else. ha EDIT: Rep'ed

Since that debate is now over... let's talk about the Cowboys. Two huge questions I have..

2. Will Jason Garrett still have a job if keeps frucking up games?
3. Does anyone on the Cowboys realize a play starts when the whistle blows?

Talk about it....

I had to leave the first one because its very relevant but the others have been FIFY'ed haha

Talk about it....

No, because he's coached by Lovie Smith.

This is not true.

Caleb Hanie or Tyler Palko..who's worse?

Steel Tappin'

Caleb Hanie or Tyler Palko..who's worse?

Steel Tappin'

Everyone who is not Aaron Rodgers. Who is a revalation. He represents all that is right in the first world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back