What's the most interesting hole at your local corse?

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
Mine's a 160 yard par 3 that's quite a bit downhill. Miss the green to the right and you're out of luck, miss the green to the left and it's a tough 2nd shot that could roll off the green. Keeping it on the green gets even harder when the flag is placed at the back of it and it's really hard to get close if the mound is in the way
Here's a picture (7th hole on the Homestead 9 at Picture Butte golf course, the tee box I usually hit from is more to the right of where the picture was taken so the mound is even more in play)
banner5vo.jpg

So what's your most interesting hole at your main course?

Hole nine is a downhill 400 yard par four. It starts off on an elevated tee and there are two large trees in the middle of the fairway(about 180 out) that you have to drive over(I've hit them them before with a low drive). Then you've got a 15ft creek running the width of the fairway about 80 yards in front of the green. The green is then slightly elevated with a bunker front right and water left and long.

We have a 440 yard par 5 that's a pretty tough challenge. Its a dogleg right with OB on the right. You have to hit at most 200 yards to avoid trouble. There is a pond that is 200 out that you can drive, but the fairway looks like this-> ------\_____/------ The pond is in the entire lower area, and if you even get anywhere close to the slope, you're either wet or going to have to make an extreme downhill lie shot. After a good drive of around 200 yards, you have about 230 to the green. the catch to the second shot is the OB still runs down the right side, there are 10 mini bunkers in the fairway from around 75-50 out. If you go for it, you might get lucky and make it to the green, but I usually lay up to about 100 yards. The green is a 2 tired left to right sloping green, with the pin usually on the extreme front left, which hurts anyone going for it in 2. There is an extreme dorp off behind the green, which leave a virtually impossible shot to get back on the green. The hole is fun to play, but it sure can hurt a good round!

One of the courses I play at regularly has a par 3 with a raised tee box. When you look down, you see this anchor. Also, it is a complete mess when you end up on the wrong side of the kidney bean shaped green. I have hit a wedge from the green to the other side of the green before.

hole15.jpg

One of the courses I play at regularly has a par 3 with a raised tee box. When you look down, you see this anchor. Also, it is a complete mess when you end up on the wrong side of the kidney bean shaped green. I have hit a wedge from the green to the other side of the green before.

hole15.jpg

im scared just looking at the pic lol

Took a video today of the tough hole on my home course. Will post it later

hole15.jpg

That is one crazy looking hole. How big is that green?

Not nearly the most difficult hole but I really like our finishing hole.

We play it as a 445 yard par 5 which could be considered a really strong par 4. There is OB down the right side and the hole bends gently to the right so an aggressive tee shot hugs the right or even cuts the corner over the trees. Push it a little and you get to re-tee. If you pull your tee shot a little, there are a couple of bunkers which can catch your ball or give you a funky stance.

A quality tee ball provides an opportunity to go for the green. However the left side is lined with bunkers which narrow the landing area as it approaches the green AND there is out of bounds just beyond the green.

Threes are not common but can be had; fours are common and is a good score; five is par and won't lose a shot on the field but sixes, sevens and even eights are not out of the question.

When you come to this hole a two shot lead is no guaranteed win and if you are a couple behind you still have a chance.

Mine's a 160 yard par 3 that's quite a bit downhill. Miss the green to the right and you're out of luck, miss the green to the left and it's a tough 2nd shot that could roll off the green. Keeping it on the green gets even harder when the flag is placed at the back of it and it's really hard to get close if the mound is in the way
Here's a picture (7th hole on the Homestead 9 at Picture Butte golf course, the tee box I usually hit from is more to the right of where the picture was taken so the mound is even more in play)
banner5vo.jpg

So what's your most interesting hole at your main course?
Very interesting hole there...

At my course, the one I like is the long par 3 12th hole. Anything from a 5 iron to a 3 wood off the tee, and if you miss the green, the hole gets really interesting.

Hole12.jpg

No4-1.jpg

No. 4 at my course is a 510 yard par 5. OB all the way down the right side which means there can be no hard fades or slices on this hole. From the tee, there is a creek at 220 yards which is the carry distance for many people with driver, so most lay up to the creek with a long iron or hybrid. With the OB right, this opening is less than 60 yards wide as there are several trees left at the creek including a huge cottonwood and a huge pine right on the left edge.

If you do lay up at the creek short, you end up with a downhill lie but it is up hill across the creek. This shot often takes something with a little loft, more than a 3 wood to get the ball down the fairway, but yet clear the hill. If you pull off these two shots, you often have as much as 150 yards into a green, again with OB protecting the right side, and three huge cottonwood trees left at the green. The green is always firm.

There is also a very old Boxelder tree 50 yards in front of the green that hangs out and covers half of the fairway in front of the green from the OB fence row right. This makes most approach shots a forced carry, up and over into a always firm green. Years ago, this hole was rated in the top ten hardest par 5's in Indiana by the Indiana section of the PGA.

Birdies are rare here, par is great and double the norm.

im scared just looking at the pic lol

Haha. That is usually my feeling on the tee too. It is near lake michigan, no trees and a raised tee box... so the wind is usually high. I have used as much as a 3-hybrid when the wind is against and a wedge when the wind is with. That is freaky.

That is one crazy looking hole. How big is that green?

Pretty big. I had a terrible shot on it once where I was on the wrong side of the kidney bean green with the bunker in between. We used the laser and even though my ball was on the green, it was just under 50 yards from the flag (and it wasnt even near the edge yet). I hit wedge to the other side.

hole15.jpg

To me that is one stupid looking hole. For a public tract I can see a this hole holding up a lot of groups.

Interesting enough Renren89, hole number 5 at my course (Eldorado CC, Mckinney, TX) is a downhill par 3 160 yards to the front, 195 to the back and is protected left and right with trees. Took this a couple months ago as the sun was going down so kind of hard to see the green so I changed it to Sepia which will help a bit see between the trees.

[video=youtube_share;8hC-T2WzYPo]http://youtu.be/8hC-T2WzYPo[/video]

To me that is one stupid looking hole. For a public tract I can see a this hole holding up a lot of groups.

It is usually OK; the course is on the high-$$$ side and they have well-separated tee times, so even though it is in Chicago's city limits, it doesnt get backed up all that much. You are right though... it definitely is a stupid looking hole and often makes people look stupid playing it.

Encountered a quirky par 5 recently at a little country course close by- wish I had pics to share. Your tee shot is directly uphill into a steep slope- almost have to hit fairway wood to get enough loft to get decent roll. Only need about 225 yards before total dog leg left down the hill. The downslope is so severe that the 130 yard shot plays about 100. The shot is blind and everything in front of the green is junk= lost ball! When I saw this hole I was thinking eagle but I have struggled to make par all 3 times I have played it !!

As far as interesting goes I would say the second hole at my favorite course would take the cake, not quite a drivable par four but you have to make a choice to try and fly the bunker and have a chip shot left into the green but miss just a little right and you are stuck in the tree heaven or lay up and have a downhill shot to a severely back-to-front sloped green.

Back