Needing to warm up

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I don't know if this answer is as easy as I think it is but here we go:

First a little back story, I played my first official round as a member of my new course. I've played there before but honestly I was a little nervous this time. The range was closed for the winter so I couldn't hit any full shots, only short game and putting, which really killed my back, but that's another question for the putter forum. I stood up on the first tee, not having really hit a full golf shot in over a couple months and preceeded to top and duck pull three straight drives. I finally got going over the next couple holes but it really took me two to three holes to get in the groove and really start making good contact.

My short question is: Does warming up before a round really help?

If more info or back story is needed I'm more than happy to elaborate, I'm finally ready to swallow my pride and ask for help. I'm going to talk to the two pros next week about getting lessons lined up.

I'm the same way, when I get to the range, my first few are always horrible.shots. If I don't go to the range, mt first few holes see awful.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

This is the Ask the Pro section. Please leave these threads clear until the GolfTEC pros can get here to answer.

I think it does. If I find myself with very little time I chip and putt. Getting the feel of the greens and your touch is something I feel should be done before every round. I like warming up with full swings just to get my body warmed up and ready to go. There's nothing worse than a back injury because you don't slowly get your back muscle warm and ready for what you're about to endure on them.

This is the Ask the Pro section. Please leave these threads clear until the GolfTEC pros can get here to answer.

See above, guys ^^^^

Not sure if I should use caps lock for this or bold, but either would imply major emphasis:

IT ABSOLUTELY MATTERS.

Contrary to what some would say, golf is actually a sport. Not just an activity or a hobby, but a body-twisting, muscle-firing, ligament-testing sport.

If for no other reason than preventing injury, give yourself at least five minutes of golf-specific movement patterns to loosen up before you step on the first tee.

It doesn't quite have to be this funky though...

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara

The Mechanic is awesome!!

Nothing wrong with taking some lessons to correct swing flaws.

One thing I learned from the 2011 seaon. Warming up for me is imperative. I always stretch.. lol including the "Sumo Stretch" a la Mr. Jimenez. Range balls though.... need about 10-15 minutes prior to a round...maybe 30 minutes.

Alex

I always warm up before a round but I don't need a ton of time. I need to hit 10 or so drivers, 10 or so irons, and some pitch's. THen just enough time on the putting green to find out the speed for the day.

Yesterday I got out for a round at a course that was not my home course, and when I went to the range to hit a couple balls it was totally full. I mean not a single space available, so I had to go out cold and it took me three holes to get warmed up and find my swing. By that time I had gone double, bogey bogey, before having a really good round.

For me, it varies. There's no correlation between warming up and my performance during the round.

For me it's often a mixed bag. No matter what I try to putt before playing, especially if I have time for only one thing. Sometimes I can go play without hitting any warmup balls, and just stripe it. Most times though it takes me a few holes to find it if I don't warm up. When I do give myself time to hit some balls, not much is needed. Start out with a few smooth PW's, couple 7 irons, 4 iron, then hybrid, 3w and driver. Then finish off with a few wedges. Then go chip and putt until I'm on the tee. My goal for 2012 is to make sure I give myself time to stretch and warm up before every round.

I'll usually hit a few pitch shots to get my feel and hit a few putts if I'm pressed for time as a minimum. If I have more time I'll hit a few wedges, a few irons and a few drivers to loosen up.

I hit my first tee shot much better if I hit a few balls off the range prior to play. I suppose it has something to do with be 60+ years old to loosen up the old joints huh?:D The problem is many times I get up there and don't take the time to warm up and just rush off the first tee. It's usually an ill fate and it takes two or three holes to get my tempo going. Especially in the winter months.

We do not have a driving range at the club but last year they did add some hitting nets for full shots. We have a small area for chipping which I do use now and then. For the most part all I do is some stretches, few chips and a few putts then away I go.

I don't do more than just stretch a little and swing a couple of clubs a few times to get loose. I learned that hitting too many balls before playing just makes me tired. I will do some putting if time permits.

Not sure if I should use caps lock for this or bold, but either would imply major emphasis:

IT ABSOLUTELY MATTERS.

Contrary to what some would say, golf is actually a sport. Not just an activity or a hobby, but a body-twisting, muscle-firing, ligament-testing sport.

If for no other reason than preventing injury, give yourself at least five minutes of golf-specific movement patterns to loosen up before you step on the first tee.

It doesn't quite have to be this funky though...

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara
Trevor, I might get kicked out of the course if I started doing that!
I know stretching is important, I guess the real question is what stretches are most important if I'm short on time to warm up or the range is closed?

Warming up is important. It helps you get feel, and how you are going to swing for the day. You start to see what will work and what is not working. Go through your bag and see which clubs you are hitting well!

Back