4 Wood vs 3 Wood and 5 wood?

rkangrah

Reaction score
Handicap
IF you switched to a 4 wood from a 3 wood, do you gain more distance with the 4 wood? What are your experiences with a 4 wood?

IF you switched to a 17 degree 4 wood from a 18 degree 5 wood, will you get any extra distance or they are about the same?

IF you switched to a 4 wood from a 3 wood, do you gain more distance with the 4 wood? What are your experiences with a 4 wood?

IF you switched to a 17 degree 4 wood from a 18 degree 5 wood, will you get any extra distance or they are about the same?

If both are hit equally well, you should get more distance from the 3 wood, but a 4 wood could give better launch for certain people. Generalizing, a 3 wood is longer than a 4, and a 4 is longer than a 5.

Distance would likely go as such: 3>4>5. That said I have a 4 wood and love it. I think a 3 and a 5 is a bit overkill, I'm more concerned with filling gaps at the lower end of my bag. I think the 4 wood is a happy medium. Long enough off the tee and easy enough to get off the deck.

I would think this is an impossible equation to determine on paper. Take into account each manufacturers choice for head size, exact loft of whatever club you get, and then of course shaft options. One 3 wood could actually have a smaller head size than another's 4 wood. They could even be the same loft, just called a different club. I really feel if you're looking at these kind of specifics you need to dig a bit deeper in your research.

That said, the clubs should go as they are named, just like the other guys said: 3>4>5

I did switch from the 3 wood to the 4 wood. I did lose some distance about 10-15 yards. What I gained from the switch were accuracy and confidence. I am hitting more fairways with the 4 wood and I also found that it is easier for me to hit off the deck. Now I have a club that I use instead of one that was taking up space in the bag.

I would think this is an impossible equation to determine on paper. Take into account each manufacturers choice for head size, exact loft of whatever club you get, and then of course shaft options. One 3 wood could actually have a smaller head size than another's 4 wood. They could even be the same loft, just called a different club. I really feel if you're looking at these kind of specifics you need to dig a bit deeper in your research.

That said, the clubs should go as they are named, just like the other guys said: 3>4>5

I read an article that most people will go longer with a 4 wood than a 3 wood. I just want some real life experience.....

Can't beat actually seeing what it does for you. My thoughts on the 4 wood going further is probably people getting the right launch angle for their swing with the correct loft. If you feel confident in something, you can hit it pure.

I would be interested to read that article. I currently play a 15* 3-wood and my options for the Morgan cup are 14* and 16*. I think I will get the chance to hit both on the monitor but I am leaning towards the 16* because mentally it seems like it would be easier to hit off the deck.

I switched to a ping g15 4wood from the g15 3 wood and I could not be happier. I lost maybe 10 yards in distance but my accuracy has increased dramatically. The 4 wood for me is way easier to hit off the deck.

I read an article that most people will go longer with a 4 wood than a 3 wood. I just want some real life experience.....

Again it would depend on model due to loft and head size, but I've hit all 3 of the same model, and my distance went 3>4>5. I can't imagine that people being longer with a 4 than a 3 is a trend unless somehow they have more confidence over a 4 wood which I did not. One thing that could factor into it could be ability to get it off the deck well. Some could have a problem lauching a 3 high enough off the deck to match the distance they'd see with a 4.

I play a 4 wood instead of a 3 and 5. I prefer it because it fits my gap perfectly, and it gives me another option for a club.

I have seen that same article that most hackers hit a 4 wood farther than their 3 wood, I don't think there was much explanation to as why. I would much rather have another wedge than an extra wood.

A 4 wood probably has a shorter shaft than the 3 so is easier to hit,all being equal the 3 goes further than the 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if many got more distance out of a 4 wood off the deck, due to many people struggling to get a 3 wood in the air. If this is something you struggle with then it might be a good move.

I haven't seen or had a 4 wood since they were actually wood!

I play a 4 wood and I think it just gives me more confidence. I think it is more of what was mentioned above about club head size, loft and length.

I did switch from the 3 wood to the 4 wood. I did lose some distance about 10-15 yards. What I gained from the switch were accuracy and confidence. I am hitting more fairways with the 4 wood and I also found that it is easier for me to hit off the deck. Now I have a club that I use instead of one that was taking up space in the bag.

I also did this and fully concur with results. My 3 wood is about knee-high trajectory, the 4 is much more controllable and accurate (and launches into the air).

I can see where some might get better numbers with a 4 wood as opposed to a 3. Look at the FL HT 3 wood from Cleveland. It really helped several people in this community out. I'm not gonna lie I hit nothing but low to low/mid stingers with any 3 wood. Yet my swing speed is high enough to keep the ball moving forward without it falling back down too early. I don't see it as a problem really as I play in the wind a lot here in HI. I've tried 4 woods before and while they did get up more they were also shorter. So I don't really care how my ball gets out there as long as it gets to the yardage I'm expecting to hit it.

I switched and used a 4 wood for a couple of years until I went back to a 3w this year. I really didn't notice much of a distance change to be honest.

CG13 would only have a 5 wood....that is all

Depends on how well you hit fairway woods and also depends on what 3W exactly you are talking about. Distances can vary due to your 3W being a strong 3W or a slightly weaker 3W - from 13 degrees up to 16 degrees loft. It is possible for a higher handicapper or someone with a steep swing into the ball to make better contact and get better results with a shorter, higher lofted wood than hitting a 3W but it really depends on the swing you put on it.

Dropped the 3W (Adams A3 XTD) for a 4W (Ping G10). Went back to the 3W and now I am using a 5W. 5W is working great. Similar distance to my 3W (TEE FWs do that) but straighter and higher ball flight.

I consolidated the 3 & 5 woods into one 4 wood, this allows me to carry an extra wedge (or hybrid). I'm very happy with this setup.

Back