Tipping - Your Thoughts

RocketSauce

ManBearPig
Reaction score
Im just curious as to how many of you feel about tipping when you just want to play a round of golf? at one of the courses i usually play there is a cart guy, a bag guy, a guy waiting at the 18th hole that cleans your clubs while you are on the green putting, and then of course the cart/beverage/snacks girl and the girl/guy at the bar. whenever i go to this course i have to make sure i have a small wad of singles in my pocket just to keep up with all these guys. so my question is, am i supposed to be tipping all of these people? or does their paycheck cover that work as part of their job? i realize that people in the food industry (bar tender) usually make a smaller amount per hour and rely on tips, but what about these other guys (cart guy, bag guy, club cleaner)?

i just assume they split the tips, so five bucks to the last guy(club cleaner).

i just assume they split the tips, so five bucks to the last guy(club cleaner).

ah, never thought about that. i think some restaurants do that too (not sure though. never worked in the food industry)

We have the same thing at Westchase. We do not drop clubs at club drop, so the only one I encounter is the club cleaner at the 18th and he gets a five.

I don't have that problem where I frequent! The cart girl is about it and we usually tip her a buck each time per person.

Most of the courses near me only have cart girls. I'll tip them a buck if I buy something, pretty similar if I get something from the clubhouse snack bar.

I don't tip very often... guess I am cheap =(

YOu have to tip. People work hard for that money in some cases DD. That server at our THP dinner earned his money.

I don't really tip. to be honest, for the ammount of times I go there. I can't afford it.

I tip at a restaurant... but at a course, I'm not going tip EVERYONE who helps me out in a small way.

I don't tip very often... guess I am cheap =(

I've been called cheap for not tipping at Sonic. I never knew anybody tipped there...

(For those who are unfamiliar, Sonic is a drive-in fast food restaurant chain.)

No tipping policy at my club, not even for valet parking. The only cash you need is for caddies, who are actually independent contractors and don't actually work for the club. Each member does pay for gratuities in the dues so the staff does get something but not having to worry about it makes life easier.

I've never played a course where I needed to tip anybody. :confused2:

I suspect that I would though, I know how hard it is to bust your hump for folks. If they're really getting after it, and working hard with a good attitude, I'll toss 'em a few extra bucks because I like what I see. I take care of the kid at the car wash, he's a go-getter, I'd do the same for someone at the course.

I worked in the food and beverage industry for a several years between high school and college so I tip everyone and I usually over tip. A lot of times people don't realize how little certain positions get paid, and if there is any potential for tipping they usual make less than minimum wage. When I used to do the carry-out at one of the restuarants I worked at in high school we would get paid less per hour because the restaurant thought we would get tipped, however, most people don't think to tip on take-out. Like JB said the only person to really tip at our club is the person at the end who cleans the clubs so he always gets a tip and on the rare occasion I get a drink from from the cart girl I always tip her too.

I always tip the guy grabbing my bag a couple of bucks and the guy cleaning my clubs 5. The cart girls changes from course to course.

No tipping policy at my club, not even for valet parking. The only cash you need is for caddies, who are actually independent contractors and don't actually work for the club. Each member does pay for gratuities in the dues so the staff does get something but not having to worry about it makes life easier.

Ditto.

I also play a league at a public course. We take up an end-of-league collection for the staff there.

My problem is when Im a guest of a member, what do you do?

My problem is when Im a guest of a member, what do you do?

don't tip at all... you're a guest, the member always takes charge of everything beyond a caddie tip

I disagree. When I am a guest, I want to make sure that I tip all that I encounter.

I tip the cart girl and would generously tip a caddie. Beyond that, zippo. I don't want anyone carrying my bag to and from my car or cleaning my clubs.

I've only been a guest at high end private clubs... its almost an insult to the member in some cases

I haven't run across that situation, but if I was a guest, I would tip as well. It would probably increase my chances of getting invited back.

In a normal everyday situation, I put my own clubs in my cart and clean them when I get home. Not that anyone offers to do it for me where I play!

I guess I have a negative view of some of the "services" at courses. I have yet to ask to have my clubs "cleaned" (if that's what they call a muddy rag being swiped across my irons), so I don't feel obligated to tip for a service I never requested. I would rather be asked if I want what they are providing (carry my bag to the cart, wipe my clubs, etc). Plus, the service provided takes 5-10 seconds. That requires a tip? I think of a waiter that you're running into the kitchen and back repeatedly for an hour. That deserves a tip. 10 seconds with a rag does not.

I guess I have a negative view of some of the "services" at courses. I have yet to ask to have my clubs "cleaned" (if that's what they call a muddy rag being swiped across my irons), so I don't feel obligated to tip for a service I never requested. I would rather be asked if I want what they are providing (carry my bag to the cart, wipe my clubs, etc). Plus, the service provided takes 5-10 seconds. That requires a tip? I think of a waiter that you're running into the kitchen and back repeatedly for an hour. That deserves a tip. 10 seconds with a rag does not.

Klaymon... I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way... I used to play in a money saturday league and on 18 they would clean your clubs on the cart while you were putting. I would never tip because they didn't actually clean my grooves or anything... it's like taking a shower and putting dirty clothes back on.

Never had a cart girl ask if I wanted something. Once she asked the guy I was with if he wanted something and the guy turned to me and said "no, would you like something?" I said "not from her" and that solved the tipping problem.

Back