Launch Monitor Session and Driver Shaft help.

If you are coming to Fl next month there are places down here you can get fit outdoors. You can see your ball flight, have your swing uninhibited, and be fit by some great fitters.

I would recommend waiting for that opportunity.

Agree with Rory - that series of launch monitor numbers is suspect - I would not rely on them to make a purchase.

Back at it again today and tested some new heads/shaft combos and got some great numbers! Nike VR Pro with PX6.0 (LA-9.8 BS-145 Backspin-2600 Sidespin-698 242-270). Dispersion was really tight with a nice little fade. Best shot was 285 right up the gut. This is all with 12 mph less ball speed just from being sore, etc. What do you guys think time for a driver change?

What is so suspect about the monitor numbers? They seem consistent and right on par with what I have seen from other monitors and fittings. My SS yesterday was around 100 to 102 I was hitting it on the heel a bit so BS numbers were down considerably. I will definitely hit it outside before I make any decision but seems like I am in need of a lower spin head/shaft combo. The 285 shot was total when I got my SS up to 105 and had 151 BS I was just using my averages.

Rory noted the smash factor problem. I'm not seeing a relationship between your day 2 and day 3 numbers that makes sense based on the spin and launch angle. You could simply have had a dramatic variation in your swing but those ball speed numbers and distances are odd. Most launch monitors do not have a problem picking up a pretty accurate swingspeed but some really struggle with spin and launch angles - even when properly calibrated.

What is so suspect about the monitor numbers? They seem consistent and right on par with what I have seen from other monitors and fittings. My SS yesterday was around 100 to 102 I was hitting it on the heel a bit so BS numbers were down considerably. I will definitely hit it outside before I make any decision but seems like I am in need of a lower spin head/shaft combo. The 285 shot was total when I got my SS up to 105 and had 151 BS I was just using my averages.

The difference between day two and three was I was using a different driver. The spin came way down using the VR Pro with PX6.0 shaft. I hit my own driver also and was still getting the extremely high spin numbers. Thanks for helping just trying to clear this up and figure out what the best way to go is going to be.

My concern is the loss of 10 mph of ball speed. Ball speed numbers reflect in great part how centered your contact is and suggest you were not centered with the Nike. Your launch angle is also too low, especially with those spin numbers - that monitor is suggesting a whole lot of roll (which maybe what you are seeking).

The difference between day two and three was I was using a different driver. The spin came way down using the VR Pro with PX6.0 shaft. I hit my own driver also and was still getting the extremely high spin numbers. Thanks for helping just trying to clear this up and figure out what the best way to go is going to be.

Rory noted the smash factor problem. I'm not seeing a relationship between your day 2 and day 3 numbers that makes sense based on the spin and launch angle. You could simply have had a dramatic variation in your swing but those ball speed numbers and distances are odd. Most launch monitors do not have a problem picking up a pretty accurate swingspeed but some really struggle with spin and launch angles - even when properly calibrated.

This can be very true with some simulators, but a true launch monitor picks up spin and launch rather well. I dont think there are major issues there. Swing's change from day to day indoors and he was using a different club.

Had he missed and hit the ball slightly thin, the roll could be accurate and at the same time ball speed would be down most likely.

We can agree to disagree on how effective launch monitors are on those measurements. Prior to purchasing our Trackman last year, we demoed 2 other launch monitors. Our head pro is a +2 handicap with a very repeatable swing and only the Trackman gave us consistently reliable numbers (I should note that we did not try the Foresight mentioned here for a few reasons - it does have a good reputation though).

If we assume than that the launch monitor is calibrated correctly, then as achase's fitter, I would be very skeptical of the radical change in numbers and would be digging deeply to determine why there was such a difference. A 10 mph loss of ball speed is a huge potential problem to me as is the launch angle.

This can be very true with some simulators, but a true launch monitor picks up spin and launch rather well. I dont think there are major issues there. Swing's change from day to day indoors and he was using a different club.

Had he missed and hit the ball slightly thin, the roll could be accurate and at the same time ball speed would be down most likely.

And yet 10 mph ball speed loss happens all the time for mid-high handicappers based on swing differences and ball striking on a particular day. At the THP Demo Day, we see it all the time and even more throughout the year. Its not ideal of course, but when swings are different and equipment is different, a few mph in swing speed occurs.

Everything was just slower so that is the reason for ss and bs to be way down. I am not used to swinging a club as much as I have been. And I also worked out before I went so that all had effect on ss and bs I am sure. You guys have been really helpful before I make any decisions I will hit outdoors and see some numbers there.

I agree completely on the variation but it is my job as a fitter to see if I can minimize it. In this instance with the background on him I have, I would start by trying to isolate the type of shaft feel that achase prefers. Based on the PX numbers, he may like something more stiff tip or stout feeling. Additionally, I then need to isolate his shaft weight preference - heavy or superlight or in between. That would be followed by shaft length determination - only then do I move to actual head/shaft combinations that we try on the launch monitor. Obviously, this is the not the process for everyone but I already have this valuable information when he walks in the door. If he shows no real changes no matter how I change the variables, then I ask if he wants to maximize potential distance or wants to minimize the damage of his misses.

And yet 10 mph ball speed loss happens all the time for mid-high handicappers based on swing differences and ball striking on a particular day. At the THP Demo Day, we see it all the time and even more throughout the year. Its not ideal of course, but when swings are different and equipment is different, a few mph in swing speed occurs.

So I got a month long session indoors on a Foresight GC2 to keep the swing in shape during the winter and was hitting my driver and was seeing ridiculously high back spin numbers. I am going off memory I am going back tomorrow and will record the numbers I am getting from that session.

SS = 105
LA = 10
Ball Speed = 150
Side spin = 800
Back spin =3500
Total Spin = 4300

Talking with the pro there he doesn't suggest I try to mess with my swing since it is very repeatable and I have a very consistent ball flight with my driver and irons. So he is thinking of switching my shaft in my Adams Fast 10 I currently have the Voodoo that is in the Fast 11 in stiff flex. I was really hitting them good at the end of the session and getting some high 150's ball speed but the back spin is killing me what would you guys suggest? I will be sure to get all the numbers tomorrow and post it up but wanted to throw this on here first and see what the equipment guru's have to say.

Just by comparision.

My clubhead speed is also 105
Ball speed is 150'ish
Launch angle is 13.8-14.2
Back Spin is 2300-2400

with my R-11 with the stock stiff Blur Shaft. I think you could benefit from less back spin and a higher launch.

I agree completely on the variation but it is my job as a fitter to see if I can minimize it. In this instance with the background on him I have, I would start by trying to isolate the type of shaft feel that achase prefers. Based on the PX numbers, he may like something more stiff tip or stout feeling. Additionally, I then need to isolate his shaft weight preference - heavy or superlight or in between. That would be followed by shaft length determination - only then do I move to actual head/shaft combinations that we try on the launch monitor. Obviously, this is the not the process for everyone but I already have this valuable information when he walks in the door. If he shows no real changes no matter how I change the variables, then I ask if he wants to maximize potential distance or wants to minimize the damage of his misses.

Can't I have both max distance and less damage on misses?! LOL. I am just trying to keep the misses closer to the fairway. I know my swing is not perfect but it works for me and I have a very predictable ball flight and shot shape. They have not actually "fit" me for anything I am just going in there to keep my swing and shape and the discovery of the high spin numbers got me pondering. I am just grabbing stuff off the rack and trying different shaft/head combo's to see what I can do to maximize distance and make my misses more managable. I will continue to update this as the month goes along, and when I go to Orlando next month I will let everyone know how it performs outdoors.

Just by comparision.

My clubhead speed is also 105
Ball speed is 150'ish
Launch angle is 13.8-14.2
Back Spin is 2300-2400

with my R-11 with the stock stiff Blur Shaft. I think you could benefit from less back spin and a higher launch.

I definitely see I could benefit from lower spin. I am going back in to continue to look at different options a 10.5 may be in order to bring the LA up and a different shaft to bring the spin down.

Back