Launch Monitor Session and Driver Shaft help.

achase215

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
So I got a month long session indoors on a Foresight GC2 to keep the swing in shape during the winter and was hitting my driver and was seeing ridiculously high back spin numbers. I am going off memory I am going back tomorrow and will record the numbers I am getting from that session.

SS = 105
LA = 10
Ball Speed = 150
Side spin = 800
Back spin =3500
Total Spin = 4300

Talking with the pro there he doesn't suggest I try to mess with my swing since it is very repeatable and I have a very consistent ball flight with my driver and irons. So he is thinking of switching my shaft in my Adams Fast 10 I currently have the Voodoo that is in the Fast 11 in stiff flex. I was really hitting them good at the end of the session and getting some high 150's ball speed but the back spin is killing me what would you guys suggest? I will be sure to get all the numbers tomorrow and post it up but wanted to throw this on here first and see what the equipment guru's have to say.

There are lots of options for you in the shaft area, if it were me, lower back spin and a slightly higher launch angle and you could be golden. Not easy to achieve all the time though. Have you ever tried PX shafts? How about Miyazaki?

It's going to be hard to be fit on the computer, but there are some really knowledgable people here who can get you pointed in the right direction.

Your launch and spin numbers were really similar to what I was seeing with my old driver (Cobra ZL with made for voodoo). The Fubuki Alpha brough my launch up and brought my spin way down. Other good options could be the A'hina or Kusala White.

To the OP: I know that your pro doesn't want to mess with your swing, but is there any chance you could be hitting down on the ball with the driver? The ball speed numbers given the swing speed tells me that you're making pretty good contact, but if you are hitting down on the ball, your launch angle will be lower and your spin could go up if you're coming into the ball steeply. Like JB said, higher launch and lower spin is what you're looking for, but that can be hard to achieve, usually you get more of one than the other when you change shafts.

One other question: you had 800 rpm of spin, what is your normal shot shape, draw or fade?

A small cut that is my usual shot with irons and drivers which is why he is saying he wouldn't change much about my swing I hit probably 100 balls today and they all had a few yards of cut on them so it is very consistent. I have never really played around with equipment and figured I could try out some different shafts at the shop and see if I can find one to my liking. The people on here seem to really know their stuff so I figured I would post on here and see what everyone's opinions are.

@ary I am sure I am probably hitting down on the ball I might play with ball position tomorrow and try to stay behind it a little more and see what kind of results I can get. Also at that SS should I consider X-Flex? He measured my irons for me and they are x-stiff and I hit them really well. Thoughts? Thanks for everyone's help.

At 105 you are near the line for stiff/xflex, but it depends. It would certainly drop your spin down some. My SS is slightly faster than yours, and I was fit into X.

I dont think X-Flex is your answer in this situation. If it were me (and its not), I would look at three shafts if you have a chance.

Miyazaki Kusala White
Project X 5.5 and 6.0

What ball were you using?

Sent from my forged iPad

A small cut that is my usual shot with irons and drivers which is why he is saying he wouldn't change much about my swing I hit probably 100 balls today and they all had a few yards of cut on them so it is very consistent. I have never really played around with equipment and figured I could try out some different shafts at the shop and see if I can find one to my liking. The people on here seem to really know their stuff so I figured I would post on here and see what everyone's opinions are.

@ary I am sure I am probably hitting down on the ball I might play with ball position tomorrow and try to stay behind it a little more and see what kind of results I can get. Also at that SS should I consider X-Flex? He measured my irons for me and they are x-stiff and I hit them really well. Thoughts? Thanks for everyone's help.

Like wakerider said, you are close to the line between stiff and x-stiff, but shaft flexes differ in terms of feel and how stiff the shafts play between different companies. If you are a smooth swinger, I'd stay in stiff....if you have a quick transition or tempo and really attack the ball, then you could possibly fit into an x-stiff shaft.

I figured that you were probably cutting across the ball a little bit with the sidespin that you were putting on the ball. One thing: if you move the ball up in your stance on the driver trying to hit up on it, you're going to also need to try to swing more from the inside, otherwise moving the ball forward in your stance could make your cut worse.

I have a aggressive transition and really go after the ball. When I was trying to smooth swing it the fade turned into a slice. When I was going after it I was getting much better numbers. Pro V1 is the ball I was using TC.

I know I am cutting across the ball a bit with a closed face, but like the pro said if I have a very consistent shot shape he is not wanting to throw in a two way miss and my iron swing he said is really good. The one thing he did notice is that I was following through more around my body with driver vs irons this is because being 6'2" I would hit the back of the "cage" they have set up around the monitor.

I didn't ever really put a lot of stock into shafts but seems like that might be something that is holding me back from really getting good drives!

A shaft change and a ball change could easily bring that spin down. I would love to see a contrast in your spin by just seeing you hit the prov1x. It makes a difference.

Sent from my forged iPad

Even with an aggressive action at the top, I would not put him in too many X options because in many cases its going to bring his launch down. Stiff options that I mentioned in the Kusala and PX, should be able to withstand a fast transition quite well and still offer some launch increase compared to what he was using.

Which rating would you go with in the PX if I am going to try it out? Looks like the 6.5 is in between and has the stiffer tip. I am really interested to try these different options and see what kind of results I can pull off. I know the swing is there just got to tweak the equipment a bit to keep up with the swing.

I would start with the 6.0. I think that just would be a good starting point for you.

What do you think about the Matrix 6M3 that you just did the review on TC? Sounds like we probably aren't very far off SS wise sounds like that shaft was killer.

What do you think about the Matrix 6M3 that you just did the review on TC? Sounds like we probably aren't very far off SS wise sounds like that shaft was killer.
So I went back today and was disappointed with the stats to say the least. Was using a pro v1x and b330rx.107 SS155 BS6.5 LA1618 Side spin4715 Back spin5033 total spin38* decent angle213 carry248 totalWhat can I do I need help! Messed with ball position, spine tilt, etc will be going back tomorrow to try any new ideas you guyus may have. Thanks!

It sounds to me as if you are having an over the top steep swing that is created both side spin and back spin. A shaft wont correct that, but you can find one that might minimize some effects and fit your swing better. I still think the ones I mentioned above could possibly be ideal. Lower spin and higher launch which is exactly what you are looking for based on previous numbers.

I would also say that I am not sure how attached you are to the head, but if a swing change is not coming, I would recommend a low spin head as well possibly.

It sounds to me as if you are having an over the top steep swing that is created both side spin and back spin. A shaft wont correct that, but you can find one that might minimize some effects and fit your swing better. I still think the ones I mentioned above could possibly be ideal. Lower spin and higher launch which is exactly what you are looking for based on previous numbers.I would also say that I am not sure how attached you are to the head, but if a swing change is not coming, I would recommend a low spin head as well possibly.
JB I will definitely give those shafts a look. Another variable is being 6'2" I always feel like I never hit my driver well indoors. So that is something that I will have to do some outdoor range time to see how ball flight looks outdoors. My shot shape again was very consistent fade every shot and was landing right around center line every time. Oh well looks like I will become a shaft *****! Thanks for your help.

I recommend a THP Outing & Demo Day sometime and you will get to hit just about any shaft imaginable.

I will see if I can make that happen JB. What are some good low spin heads? I am not attached to the current head at all just trying to find the best equipment to maximize my results. Definitely sounds like I have found the right spot for that!

I will see if I can make that happen JB. What are some good low spin heads? I am not attached to the current head at all just trying to find the best equipment to maximize my results. Definitely sounds like I have found the right spot for that!

There are tons of low spin heads. Im partial to the Bridgestone J40 and Cleveland Classic right now, but that is just me and many companies have them.

I'm 6'3" and have the same problem about hitting indoors with a driver - no matter the space I have. If you have the patience, I would wait to see your ballflight outside. If your combo is giving you the directional consistency the monitor reports, that is very valuable. While your day 2 distance numbers are disappointing, I would consider that possibly a one-time event rather than a reason to throw in the towel on your current driver.

I thinking seeing the spin numbers even outdoors I would think that I could bring down the spin numbers. Glad to hear that I am not the only person that is having this problem. If I try my "outdoor swing" I catch the back of the netting and just knowing that tends to throw my follow through off. The pro there said that my iron swing is really good with a nice little fade same with what my usual driver shot shape is. Hey all I am doing is keeping my swing in shape and working on some different things and cant wait to get to Orlando in February to show off what I can do!

Back at it again today and tested some new heads/shaft combos and got some great numbers! Nike VR Pro with PX6.0 (LA-9.8 BS-145 Backspin-2600 Sidespin-698 242-270). Dispersion was really tight with a nice little fade. Best shot was 285 right up the gut. This is all with 12 mph less ball speed just from being sore, etc. What do you guys think time for a driver change?

I think you need to find a new fitter/or launch monitor......the first numbers you were give would be equivalent to an efficiency reading of 1.58, which is physically impossible.

Your second readings sound a little bite more acceptable...especially since I know that driver is a notoriously low spin head. So in my opinion, something sounds wrong with their launch monitor.

Speaking as someone who does 250+ launch monitor tests a year, I think it would be a disservice to you to make expensive shaft/head changes when the system (or person operating it) measuring you seems incorrect.

Back