Hardcore hobbies?

askthejak

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anybody have any hobbies they devote a lot of time to and take seriously other than golf?

Once my competitive athletic career and college recruiting prospects were dashed by a severe case of LOA (lack of athleticism), I started following my first passion, wrestling (folkstyle and freestyle, not WWE). Just shy of four years ago, two like-minded guys and I launched www.ohiowrestling.net, and this year, have hosted the Ohio Wrestling Radio Show on www.sportstalkcleveland.com. I also do freelance on the subject. Very, very time consuming (I empathize with you JB), but also rewarding. I have been able to cover some awesome stuff in the last four seasons.

Who else?

I think we have a thread on this somewhere, but regardless of that. I would say Wine, Clothing, Shopping, and Golf.

I dance and act - like you said, very seriously. Funny you should mention - I have a radio show too! :smile: It's my little secret though, I prefer the anonymity.

Advice for voice personalities just getting started?

I post religiously on websites:comp:

Guitars and Harleys

I dance and act - like you said, very seriously. Funny you should mention - I have a radio show too! :smile: It's my little secret though, I prefer the anonymity.

Advice for voice personalities just getting started?

You could always do what they all did in the old days... smoke while on the air, haha. Listen to yourself. Our shows are availible on demand, and I listen to all of them. You will notice things you do that you don't like, and then you can correct those things.

I took baseball very seriously for a long time. I was a very good left handed pitcher. I got elbow tendinitis when I was 12, played for 3 more years pitching with that same injury and finally just gave it up and joined golf.

I take gaming pretty seriously sometimes. I'm not like a hardcore nerd or anything, but sometimes I'm prettyyyy competitive. haha

Snowmobiling. A lot of the time during the winter I drive 4 hours north to trail ride my snowmobile and recent I got into doing drag races/radar runs on the lake with my sled.
Id say Ive spent easily $5,000 in buying my sled and in modifying it to do the kind of riding I like to do. Not to mention I have a $400 helmet and a kevlar vest I wear (to protect me incase I crash) that was over $450 and Ive got $500 invested in my snowmobile suit (buts a very warm suit that is waterproof). Whats sad is, thats not a whole lot of money to have invested.
Theres lots of other people out there who have $15,000-$20,000 invested in their sleds.
Not to mention the fact that Im active with my snowmobile club. In the fall I spend time clearing brush from trails and marking them, not to mention I help out with club fundraisers, help organize events and attend every snowmobile club meeting.
Its fun though. Ive made a lot of friends through the snowmobile club (I even met one of my ex-girlfriends though the club...LOL) and its a good time.
Ive snowmobiled all my life and I feel that the least I can do is give a little back to the sport that Ive enjoyed for so many years.

Last edited:
My hobbies are out of control...

I've got 2 early Broncos, a 1976 and a 1968. The 76 was my rock crawler, until a fit of nostalgia inspired me to tear it down and bring it back to life. I lost interest when I ran out of money, and it's sat. I bought the 68 as a beater, and I was working on it at the same time as the 76, so again, I kind of mothballed it. I think I've got a taker on the 68, and I'm going to sell it to build a proper rock buggy. All told, I love any machine, especially the old ones. I want to build up a 32-34 model A one of these days, that'd be a fun project, so I'm always looking. I would love to surprise my brother with a 70 (or so) Challenger basketcase for us to build up together for him.

I love to hunt, pretty much anything in Texas. I also like to target shoot rifles and pistols, and shotgun shooting games (skeet, sporting clays, trap, etc).

Cigars - oh how I love 'em. I don't smoke as much as I'd like (maybe 2 a week lately), sitting outside by yourself is nice sometimes, but I'd like a big squashy couch and a good book while smoking sometime. *My next house WILL have a "man-cave"

I read - tons of books. I abosorb them at the rat of 2-3 a week, and sometimes more.

Movies - I can't get enough. I can blow a whole day watching movies, no problemo.

Does anybody have any hobbies they devote a lot of time to and take seriously other than golf?

Aquatic Husbandry with an Emphasis in Tropical MArine Invertebrates, here are some pics of mine;

Last edited:
Snowmobiling. A lot of the time during the winter I drive 4 hours north to trail ride my snowmobile and recent I got into doing drag races/radar runs on the lake with my sled.
Id say Ive spent easily $5,000 in buying my sled and in modifying it to do the kind of riding I like to do. Not to mention I have a $400 helmet and a kevlar vest I wear (to protect me incase I crash) that was over $450 and Ive got $500 invested in my snowmobile suit (buts a very warm suit that is waterproof). Whats sad is, thats not a whole lot of money to have invested.
Theres lots of other people out there who have $15,000-$20,000 invested in their sleds.
Not to mention the fact that Im active with my snowmobile club. In the fall I spend time clearing brush from trails and marking them, not to mention I help out with club fundraisers, help organize events and attend every snowmobile club meeting.
Its fun though. Ive made a lot of friends through the snowmobile club (I even met one of my ex-girlfriends though the club...LOL) and its a good time.
Ive snowmobiled all my life and I feel that the least I can do is give a little back to the sport that Ive enjoyed for so many years.

Lots of respect for you, Bake. Where is the club you ride with at, I'm a WI boy myself prior to moving in 2002.

At one point my Dad was the Vice President & Trail Boss for our club, and Mom was Treasurer. We spent weeks every fall trimming back brush and cutting down the weeds, plus bringing in heavy equipment to flatten the corners out after the ATVs had bermed them up.

Two winters I even ran the groomer 5 nights a week (10pm - 8am or so) when I was on Christmas break from school and the one year I took off from school. More snowmobilers should be like you and stay active with their clubs, it's a lot of work to provide well marked and groomed trails.

Lots of respect for you, Bake. Where is the club you ride with at, I'm a WI boy myself prior to moving in 2002.

At one point my Dad was the Vice President & Trail Boss for our club, and Mom was Treasurer. We spent weeks every fall trimming back brush and cutting down the weeds, plus bringing in heavy equipment to flatten the corners out after the ATVs had bermed them up.

Two winters I even ran the groomer 5 nights a week (10pm - 8am or so) when I was on Christmas break from school and the one year I took off from school. More snowmobilers should be like you and stay active with their clubs, it's a lot of work to provide well marked and groomed trails.
Im a member of the Sundowners of Edgerton, WI.
You are right that its a lot of work, but it needs to be done. Every fall we cut back brush with our chainsaws and trim back the weeds with our weedwackers. Its not at all uncommon for me to spend all afternoon on the weekends cleaning up trails.
I was planning on teaching snowmobile safety classes this winter, but I was working a lot of overtime and some personal issues (basically, my ex-girlfriend was also teaching classes and my girlfriend at the time was insecure about me spending time with my ex...LOL) prevented me from doing so. I may teach classes next year if I get the chance, but we'll see.
We also have a fundraiser breakfast every year and I voulenteer to work that too.
Like I said, its a lot of work but I like giving a little something back and we usually get pretty drunk afterwards, so its fun. :cool:

I was with Wonderland up in Danbury, WI (NW part of the state). Great trails back when we controlled grooming on our own trails, but nowadays the county does everything so I'm not sure how conditions are.

I dont really ride in the NW part of the state. My parents live in the Minocqua area, so I do a fair amount of riding up there and the trails there are pretty sweet.
I actually like riding in the southern part of the state the best because its all farmland, so its pretty open and you can ride pretty fast most of the time.
2 weeks ago I rode with my brother and some friends and we rode 100 miles in about 2 hours. Its fun to come up to a nice, rolling set of hills, pin the throttle to the handlebar and catch about 20' of air and to come into a hairpin turn at about 50 mph, slam on the brakes, whip the sled sideways and pin the throttle, accelerating out of the corner with the inside ski 4" off the ground. LOL Good times!
I used to motocross race my ATV a few years back, so if I cant scare myself a little bit and think to myself, "Oh God, Im gonna die!", I get kinda bored.

Last edited:
I used to race some motocross, but after a couple of injuries and a surgery, im not as into it. I still go to the track every Saturday morning to ride, but I take it easy. I could start racing the 30+ Vet MX now, so maybe I will get back into it. I have been thinking about it lately.

I used to take hockey very seriously, and still do when game time comes. I still play it but this is probably my last year or second last of competitive hockey.

i used to take track very seriously. i ran the 5th fastest mile of all freshman in the state of tennessee 2 years ago. now i still run 3 to 4 times a week, but mainly to stay in shape and excercise. i run about 4-9 miles depending on the day.

Soccer. I've been the captain of my team for the past 3 years, and this past summer we were in Minnesota for a BIG soccer tournament and took 2nd.

Last winter we had a Division I coach come up here to help us train and he told me that if I really work at it I could get a scholarship to a Division I school. But I've been playing for 12 years and I don't have as much fun with it anymore.

I used to take hockey very seriously, and still do when game time comes. I still play it but this is probably my last year or second last of competitive hockey.

dent, it hurts when its over... I used to skate shinny and pick up twice a week but I figured out combining the impact of golf and the wrist motion of hockey was a distaster for my hand. I needed to pick one and I choose golf.
I haven't skated in probably 7-8 weeks and it hurts.

For me it's motorcycles and technology. I'm just finishing up my Masters in Educational Technology so that takes up a lot of my time and money.
6061HPIM2435.jpg

ooo is that the Z1000??

I used to be really into motorbikes. But its simply too dangerous in the UK now. If the traffic isnt trying to kill you then diesel slicks and the weather are. Really miss it.

Also used to be into football (soccer). I grew up with VERY good players around me so consequently my ability is above amateur and semi pro....but not quite good enough for pro leagues. Many people think that if i had worked hard at it i could be playing championship level now (one down from the premiership in the UK). But i never really had the fire for it. I played to enjoy, not for a job. Having snapped my ankle ligaments twice, my left ankle now gives me a lot of trouble if i play, so i have stopped. Cant play at even half decent levels with that injury, and i am obviously a class better than all the amateurs on the pitch if i play at that level (not boasting....just fact, honest!)....which in turn means i get booted in the air all 90 minutes. Not fun. So i have packed it in now. Just play the occasional kick around.

Now all i have is golf (sportswise). I am a christian, so spend a lot of time involved in church work, youth work, etc.... but that aint exactly a hobby.

What sorta Harleys?

I like tricking them out. Had an amazinf Sporty with custom tins, etc. Now I have been riding a ROad King, lowered, apes, performace, etc. Sweet ride. Think I'm selling it this spring and going to have a custom bobber made.

dent, it hurts when its over... I used to skate shinny and pick up twice a week but I figured out combining the impact of golf and the wrist motion of hockey was a distaster for my hand. I needed to pick one and I choose golf.
I haven't skated in probably 7-8 weeks and it hurts.

I'll probably join a beer leauge with all my friends or something still DD.

I like tricking them out. Had an amazinf Sporty with custom tins, etc. Now I have been riding a ROad King, lowered, apes, performace, etc. Sweet ride. Think I'm selling it this spring and going to have a custom bobber made.

Right now I have a 96 Wide Glide, have changed it completely a couple times over the years. Got rid of the mini apes, had a stretched tank, pulled that aftera few years & went back to stock, new paint, Mikuni carb,80 spoke rims, blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Back