Andrew Magee Suspended from Golf Channel

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/11352680

4990a5e9bb6c2.jpg

No brownie points: Golf Channel reprimands loose-lipped Magee

AN DIEGO -- Exactly one year after Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman returned from a lengthy suspension for marking an off-color remark on the air, another network commentator has been sanctioned for a similar offense.

A Golf Channel spokesman confirmed Sunday that Andrew Magee, a longtime PGA Tour player who also works for the network as an analyst, has been "disciplined" for a sexually tinged remark he made last week during the FBR Open in Phoenix.

Magee, serving as a roving reporter during the second-round broadcast, told the network he believed he was off the air when he mentioned to fellow analyst Gary McCord that he had just seen a fan wearing a T-shirt that read, "I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts for eating a brownie."

McCord, who works primarily for CBS Sports, didn't react verbally and there were several moments of dead air following the comment.

Golf Channel spokesman Dan Higgins said the network received several e-mail complaints from viewers about the remark. The Golf Channel's online message boards have been filled with fan feedback on the matter.

"He was disciplined for that," Higgins said, from Orlando. "It was a mistake. He's fairly new in the role of on-course reporter, which is no excuse, but he has been disciplined, yes.

"It was inappropriate."

Whatever form the punishment has taken, Magee hasn't been suspended, apparently. He appeared in his regular role on the weekly show The Approach With Callaway Golf, which aired as usual Tuesday night. Magee won't be appearing on the show next week during its taping from Pebble Beach because he is playing in the tournament.

The Magee misstep marks the third time in a little over a year the network has been forced to apologize for commentator remarks that aired, intentionally or otherwise. During the Solheim Cup matches in the fall of 2007, Dottie Pepper called the American players "choking dogs," believing she was off the air.

Last January, Tilghman was suspended for making a racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods during an event in Hawaii. It caused a national controversy, with several critics calling for her dismissal. She later apologized during a national broadcast of the Buick Invitational.
I was disappointed that Magee's comment wasn't included in the "Quotes of The Week" section of The Golf Channel's website.

That is a little over the top if you ask me. This was far less than the other missteps.

I think he's a pretty funny guy...

agree with you on this one JB, a little over the top

Sorta like The New York Times won't report some crazy impropriety, but will report that a supermarket rag is running the story?

Basic rule for broadcast folks: the microphone is ALWAYS on.

That was a wicked funny shirt!

This is ridiculous. Come on, time to get rid of the stuffy shirts from the game's past if you ask me. Didn't anyone (His boss or whomever) appreciate what element just the movie Happy Gimore borught to the game? I sure did, and if it weren't for that movie and guys on the tour being themselves, well then myself and thousands of others likely would have never found the game.

it goes far to say how hung up on sex our society is, the very act that brings about our creation. show any type of people getting killed violence on tv but a mom breast feeding a child and its obscene.

I think the shirt was funny and yes he probably should have been more careful with cameras around but this suspension seems a little harsh if you ask me. I understand that children are listening but I don't even think most kids would have gotten that, it would have gone right over their heads...just my opinion.

I think the shirt was funny and yes he probably should have been more careful with cameras around but this suspension seems a little harsh if you ask me. I understand that children are listening but I don't even think most kids would have gotten that, it would have gone right over their heads...just my opinion.

this may sound a little out there... but how many kids under the age of 13 really watch the FBR Open?

they may watch it with their parents but you are probably right more than likely the audience is 16 and up. Even at that age I am still not sure they would get it and if they did I still don't think it was that bad...again just my opinion. It's no worse than anything they would see or hear on cable.

We are becoming way too sensitive as a society if this offended somebody.

they may watch it with their parents but you are probably right more than likely the audience is 16 and up. Even at that age I am still not sure they would get it and if they did I still don't think it was that bad...again just my opinion. It's no worse than anything they would see or hear on cable.

yeah... a weak field where Phil missed the cut. What an exciting sunday that was! haha

bingo we have a winner! I'll keep to myself though in order to keep this thread on topic

ABSOLUTELY! I couldnt agree with you more. :act-up:

it goes far to say how hung up on sex our society is, the very act that brings about our creation. show any type of people getting killed violence on tv but a mom breast feeding a child and its obscene.

I wouldnt want my 6 year old kid to see sex or violence on TV, but I dont get how people freak out if something slips. Janet Jacksons wardrobe malfunction is a great example, I can see parents being upset but a certain group took it and ran with it. Its been a downward spiral ever since.

ABSOLUTELY! I couldnt agree with you more. :act-up:

I second that. I feel like things have been getting steadily worse ever since the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake 'incident' at the Superbowl....which also didn't bother me but when it comes to sensorship issues I am pretty laid back....LOL my favorite show is family guy so I am sure that says something.

Per the comment of "getting it", ha!

I second that. I feel like things have been getting steadily worse ever since the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake 'incident' at the Superbowl....which also didn't bother me but when it comes to sensorship issues I am pretty laid back....LOL my favorite show is family guy so I am sure that says something.

notice ever since that happened they've only brought in old white guys to play the half time show? trying to be idiot proof

We were all talking about that this year while watching the half time show. Prince did a pretty good job but besides that they have definitely gone back in time for their half time performers.....it's just not the same. However, I am very glad they don't have someone like Britney Spears up there either.

It always amazes me with stories like this everyones first thought is "we are way too sensitive..." well the bottom line is these TV programs are a business, and they are selling a product. And when these announcers or "talent"(I use the term loosely), make a dumb mistake and say or do something like this, they are creating a possible situation for their employers. Racist and sexist comments, exposing themselves and things of that nature all can financially hurt these corporations. So of course they are going to be overly sensitive in how they handle it to not risk loosing sponsorship money.

On a side note AM is a tool anyway as well as half of the Golf Channels crew, a bunch of talentless nobodys and never-has-beens.

was the "B" in brownie in lower case?

Should have been.

On another note, I saw an old school Oregon Trail shirt on a guy my age yesterday, it had the wagon logo and said "You have died of Dysentry." I loved it! There is such a thing as clean humor.

41OKOlKrlqL._AA280_.jpg

Back