The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wooohooo texans resigned meyers ... lost brisiel to the raiders though oh well meyers was the one we needed back the most.

I'm going to say right now that Matt Flynn has a better season than Peyton Manning, wherever they end up. Write it down, boys. And you can't come back and tell me I was wrong if Manning is playing well, but gets hurt and doesn't finish the year out. That possibility is part of my thinking.

I see the Packers have expressed interest in the Dolphin's Kendall Langford. He had 0 sacks last year so he should fit right in. lol. Apparently he had 25 pressures, 5th in the league for 3-4 DEs.

Kevin

Matt Flynn is the year's Matt Cassell. At least Cassell got almost a whole year to fool everyone instead of 1 game.

Matt Flynn is the year's Matt Cassell. At least Cassell got almost a whole year to fool everyone instead of 1 game.

That's the cliche opinion. You'll see. The dude is going to succeed.

Kevin

oh man niners fans are going to be stoked if they land payton and brandon lloyd

that would be a pretty potent passing game and overall damn good team.

Chiefs sign RT Eric Winston. I'm very OK with this signing. RT was definitely the biggest need.

I'm going to say right now that Matt Flynn has a better season than Peyton Manning, wherever they end up. Write it down, boys. And you can't come back and tell me I was wrong if Manning is playing well, but gets hurt and doesn't finish the year out. That possibility is part of my thinking.

I see the Packers have expressed interest in the Dolphin's Kendall Langford. He had 0 sacks last year so he should fit right in. lol. Apparently he had 25 pressures, 5th in the league for 3-4 DEs.

Kevin

Esox, I hope you're right. I will be shocked if you do not see a headline tomorrow that reads "Matt Flynn signs with the Dolphins". Seattle was only offering him a chance to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job. I'm thinking that Joe Philbin will hand the starting job to Flynn from Day 1 in Miami.

Esox, I hope you're right. I will be shocked if you do not see a headline tomorrow that reads "Matt Flynn signs with the Dolphins". Seattle was only offering him a chance to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting job. I'm thinking that Joe Philbin will hand the starting job to Flynn from Day 1 in Miami.

ary did you read alex smith was visiting the dolphins? as a phins fan that cant make you hapy

ary did you read alex smith was visiting the dolphins? as a phins fan that cant make you hapy

I just saw that. I've got no idea what is going on down there anymore. Maybe they're just trying to pressure Flynn into taking less money to sign there. Although, to be honest with you, Alex Smith played well last year, he'd be an upgrade over Matt Moore as well.

I have absolutely no effing clue of what the Dolphins are doing anymore.

"@JasonLaCanfora Matt Flynn has agreed to terms w/Seattle on a 3yr contract worth up to $26M w/$10M grntd. Not bad at all #freeagency"

I have absolutely no effing clue of what the Dolphins are doing anymore.

"@JasonLaCanfora Matt Flynn has agreed to terms w/Seattle on a 3yr contract worth up to $26M w/$10M grntd. Not bad at all #freeagency"

There are a lot of teams that did not think Matt Flynn was the answer.

There are a lot of teams that did not think Matt Flynn was the answer.

If I thought that Miami had a competent GM, then I'd be inclined to possibly agree with you. However, that is not the case. Even if Flynn wasn't a top-10 QB in the league once he was a starter, it made sense to bring him in because he knew Philbin's offense so well. Plus, look at the money he got from Seattle, it's not a huge contract in terms of QBs at all. Miami must have really lowballed him if he took a contract with another team, only to compete for a starting job there.

If I thought that Miami had a competent GM, then I'd be inclined to possibly agree with you. However, that is not the case. Even if Flynn wasn't a top-10 QB in the league once he was a starter, it made sense to bring him in because he knew Philbin's offense so well. Plus, look at the money he got from Seattle, it's not a huge contract in terms of QBs at all. Miami must have really lowballed him if he took a contract with another team, only to compete for a starting job there.

Im not sure I agree on either count, but that is what makes armchair QBing great, everybody can have a different view on it. I personally don't think Flynn has any more success with the talent that is there than Matt Moore does. And outside of a single game in Green Bay against a team that played no defense, I am unsure how most seem to want to bank the future on him. Could he be better? Maybe. But Dolphins fans are an interesting bunch the last few years. If the team listened to the fans we would have some unique QBs there.

Brady Q.
Lets not forget them begging for Chad Henne to be the starter.
Then lets not forget them begging for Kyle Orton.
It seems the management made the right decision the entire time with Moore who looked quite serviceable.

Im not sure I agree on either count, but that is what makes armchair QBing great, everybody can have a different view on it. I personally don't think Flynn has any more success with the talent that is there than Matt Moore does. And outside of a single game in Green Bay against a team that played no defense, I am unsure how most seem to want to bank the future on him. Could he be better? Maybe. But Dolphins fans are an interesting bunch the last few years. If the team listened to the fans we would have some unique QBs there.

Brady Q.
It seems the management made the right decision the entire time with Moore who looked quite serviceable.

I see what you're saying. Quinn obviously didn't pan out. Henne basically got forced into the starting role early when Pennington got hurt in 2009, but that draft pick didn't work out. I didn't want Orton at all, though lots of fans wanted him. Moore did well during his time last year, but he has limitations, especially in an offense that is geared more around accuracy and quick decision-making, which is what is coming in this year.

The big issues are this: they have tried so many times to get a good QB after Marino, and have failed every single time. Then you have the blowhard owner saying that a franchise QB is the #1 priority and that's not going to happen this year. There is also the GM that has not done well with cap management and free agent acquisitions, plus seems to have public missteps in the way he approaches players (ex. Dez Bryant situation). What should "on paper" be a very desirable place to play for players in the league is not that, and it's frustrating.

I see what you're saying. Quinn obviously didn't pan out. Henne basically got forced into the starting role early when Pennington got hurt in 2009, but that draft pick didn't work out. I didn't want Orton at all, though lots of fans wanted him. Moore did well during his time last year, but he has limitations, especially in an offense that is geared more around accuracy and quick decision-making, which is what is coming in this year.

The big issues are this: they have tried so many times to get a good QB after Marino, and have failed every single time. Then you have the blowhard owner saying that a franchise QB is the #1 priority and that's not going to happen this year. There is also the GM that has not done well with cap management and free agent acquisitions, plus seems to have public missteps in the way he approaches players (ex. Dez Bryant situation). What should "on paper" be a very desirable place to play for players in the league is not that, and it's frustrating.

Then you have to look at the scenario. For many in the war rooms, there was not a single "franchise" QB available outside of Manning. Yet it can be addressed in the draft still. The team has needs on offense and signing a guy that you are not sold on to appease fans is a quick way to find the exit as a GM.

I think sometimes people are quick to snap because a guy gets away rather than applauding some of the good decisions. Letting a scum bag go after he "allegedly" hit a woman, not drafting a guy with some "character issues", etc.

They will find their guy, but a serviceable QB with a good defense can win championships. I absolutely agree with the GM in this case of not spending millions on Flynn (who more than half the league was not sold on in my opinion) as I dont think he offers much that Moore does not.

Seattle signed Flynn. $10m guaranteed, amazing.

Brady Q.

I agree with you JB, I am not sure why there was such a big deal made about Flynn, he has one good game in his career and like you said it was in week 17 against a team playing virtually no defense....at least with Cassell he had a little more of a resume behind him....I mean Flynn only has 132 career passing attempts....that's about 3 or 4 games worth.

As a Hawks fan, I am happy with the Flynn deal. Didn't break the bank and is more than likely a decent upgrade from T Jack. I wasn't as low on T Jack as some others, but he looks like his upside is average at best. I think it is a win-win. If it doesnt work out, they didn't kill a ton of cap space, and if it does, they will have a good QB at a reasonable price. I trust Schneider, he seems to be a dang good talent evaluator, but his one big miss so far was Whitehurst, so who knows.

Then you have to look at the scenario. For many in the war rooms, there was not a single "franchise" QB available outside of Manning. Yet it can be addressed in the draft still. The team has needs on offense and signing a guy that you are not sold on to appease fans is a quick way to find the exit as a GM.

I think sometimes people are quick to snap because a guy gets away rather than applauding some of the good decisions. Letting a scum bag go after he "allegedly" hit a woman, not drafting a guy with some "character issues", etc.

They will find their guy, but a serviceable QB with a good defense can win championships. I absolutely agree with the GM in this case of not spending millions on Flynn (who more than half the league was not sold on in my opinion) as I dont think he offers much that Moore does not.

Even if you agree with the GM not getting Flynn....do you see a long-range plan at all? They knew that Marshall had off-the-field issues, it wasn't like that was new, so his latest transgression wasn't something that got him traded. The Dolphins were working on that trade since the Combine! I don't understand giving up your best WR on a team that struggles to score points. If it was only to clear cap space, then that highlights how bad they have managed the cap over the past few years.

Also, check out this blog just filed from the Dolphins beat writer from the Miami Herald. It's not just fans that are wondering what is going on (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/)

Sorry, but some facts simply get in the way. For example, someone else apparently believes Flynn is worth a good but not great contract. Approximately $8 million per season -- probably less when the actual numbers come in -- is not exactly breaking the bank for a starting QB yet that is what Seattle is paying on an annual basis with a relatively modest $10 million in guaranteed money. All indications are the Dolphins thought Flynn to be that potential starter but still couldn't pay him that?

Well then, why did the personnel and offensive staff spend nearly 40 hours of total tape time studying this guy, a figure I was told by a source was conservative? Otherwise, why would coach Joe Philbin be calling him throughout the free agency process to make sure Flynn knew he was a major Miami target? Otherwise why did the Dolphins immediately pivot to Flynn once they knew they'd been eliminated from the Manning derby? Otherwise why did they offer the kid a contract?

Something went horribly wrong here. I was told three days ago Flynn was going to be Miami's guy. I was told it would take a significant screw up to fail to get him in a Dolphins uniform because the club believed he could win the starting job and Flynn liked the idea of playing for Philbin.

So what changed? What went wrong?

Obviously something.

Maybe Miami's inability to land a quarterback.

3 years at 26 million is not outrageous, however the 10 million guaranteed would be a little hard to swallow for a year if he does not pan out. Not huge, but a risk quite a few teams were a little afraid of.

Even if you agree with the GM not getting Flynn....do you see a long-range plan at all? They knew that Marshall had off-the-field issues, it wasn't like that was new, so his latest transgression wasn't something that got him traded. The Dolphins were working on that trade since the Combine! I don't understand giving up your best WR on a team that struggles to score points. If it was only to clear cap space, then that highlights how bad they have managed the cap over the past few years.

Also, check out this blog just filed from the Dolphins beat writer from the Miami Herald. It's not just fans that are wondering what is going on (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/)

The fans and a beat writer know as much as you and me. But keep in mind, if you as a talent evaluator dont see a franchise QB out there in Flynn or someone else outside of Manning, what do you think you should do? Sign one because the fans want you too? No offense, but that seems ridiculous.

I see things a little differently I guess. I see a time on the rise with a defense that is getting better and in a division with other teams that are getting older fast. Throwing money around on guys that don't fit your overall goals because the fans want you to, or a beat writer is confused is bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back