The lower back pain thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a firm believer that swing shape contributes to a lot, if not most, lower back pain among golfers. If you hang back on your right side (rh golfers) and/or finish with a reverse c, you are eventually gonna wreck your back. (Ask me how I know.)

Same thing if you aim left and push the ball right, like couples and trevino.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am one of those with lower back problems too. Best thing I can suggest is to move to the montains! When I drfove from here to California, I stopped in Grand Junction, CO (elevation 4,600) and even after driving for 15 hours my back didn't hurt at all. I also stopped in Las Vegas (elevation 2,000) and I had no back pain there either, even after sitting in a car driving. Talked to the chiropractor and he said the difference in pressure makes a difference for a lot of people. I know when I got to California (elevation next to nothing) my back hurt again.

Being stuck in the Denver airport made me think of this thread and this post. High altitude is the shiznit for people with back pain. My back feels like it is 25 years old again.

Really agree with TwoGloves on this. I notice tightness and the beginning of pain after a few holes radiate down my lower back on the right side ( right handed golfer ) when I go hard after some high power fades with my driver. I tend to tee the ball high and forward and really hang back to launch that ball high. The other thing I notice is if I start moving too far from ball and my swing gets a little too inside and across my body ....BOOM .....the pain and hooking the ball is my cue to get back closer to the ball and swing more down the line.

Oh and a little thing called getting old and flabby doesn't seem to help my cause either.

Today I bowled two full games for a fundraiser and then walked 18, man I'm I sore now. But it was a good workout for sure!

Went to physical therapy today and my therapist taught me how to do log rolling when getting in/out of bed. What a relief to learn that because the pain of just getting up/down from bed has been excruciating. If you are struggling with low back pain, I strongly recommend you watch this video that teaches you the proper way to get up and down without causing so much pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh4mUwtVhw&feature=related

Going back to see my orthopedic doctor Wednesday and hoping he orders an MRI (I'm listening to you Hanks). I have been having a time with my back for two months now after playing the role of Superwoman and moving a loveseat by myself.

I'm hoping it's just a bad sprain but I would think that would have healed by now. Can't take any anti-inflammatory drugs at all until my neck fuses. That's making it tough. Anyone else suffer a sprain that took this long to heal???

Went to physical therapy today and my therapist taught me how to do log rolling when getting in/out of bed. What a relief to learn that because the pain of just getting up/down from bed has been excruciating. If you are struggling with low back pain, I strongly recommend you watch this video that teaches you the proper way to get up and down without causing so much pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh4mUwtVhw&feature=related

Going back to see my orthopedic doctor Wednesday and hoping he orders an MRI (I'm listening to you Hanks). I have been having a time with my back for two months now after playing the role of Superwoman and moving a loveseat by myself.

I'm hoping it's just a bad sprain but I would think that would have healed by now. Can't take any anti-inflammatory drugs at all until my neck fuses. That's making it tough. Anyone else suffer a sprain that took this long to heal???

KB, I have been dealing with a lower back issue for a while now as well. Trying a medical massage therapist, in conjunction with a chiropractor, muscle relaxers, stretching, and core strengthening. Hopefully I can swing a golf club again soon. The good news, and you will understand this, no headaches in 3 weeks, and I am sleeping again with no isues. Even slept 10 hours straight last weekend.

Does anyone use shoe inserts, and do they really do anything?

I do, and they help a lot, but more for plantar fasciitis than anything else.

KB, I have been dealing with a lower back issue for a while now as well. Trying a medical massage therapist, in conjunction with a chiropractor, muscle relaxers, stretching, and core strengthening. Hopefully I can swing a golf club again soon. The good news, and you will understand this, no headaches in 3 weeks, and I am sleeping again with no issues. Even slept 10 hours straight last weekend.

I am so glad to hear you haven't had a headache in 3 weeks! That's such GREAT news!!! I'm taking muscle relaxers and doing very light stretches and core strengthening but my back is a bundle of raw nerves right now so the PT won't let me do much at all. I'm also walking almost every day and that seems to help. I've considered a chiropractor but am going the route of a PT for now. I told Bill that I would probably punch out a chiropractor if he tried to adjust my back right now. I had a massage in February but it's definitely time for another one. They really do help tremendously. Gosh I'm so happy that you're getting better!

My PT gave me a shoe insert last week for my left shoe to balance out the length of my legs since there is a noticeable difference. I have to wear it gradually to get used to the added length. I doubt that's the kind you are talking about though.

My PT gave me a shoe insert last week for my left shoe to balance out the length of my legs since there is a noticeable difference. I have to wear it gradually to get used to the added length. I doubt that's the kind you are talking about though.

No, I'm talking about these (or similar):

40487_BackPainRelief_m_NN_031407_l.jpg

No, I'm talking about these (or similar):

40487_BackPainRelief_m_NN_031407_l.jpg

Nope, haven't tried those. I notice at the bottom it says pain by being on your feet all day. Glad I don't have to stand a lot.

same here - mine is due to a high speed boating accident/impact years ago. Lower back, pelvis area. Bothers me after a round & the next day. Doesn't bother me too much during a round though. Need to lose some weight as others have said. Sux, but at least we all can struggle through it.

I know there are pages and pages of this. So if my information provided has already been explained please disregard.

*The common issue of reoccurring back pain is that you stretch/ strengthen your lower back and not your abdominal muscles as well. Think of you spine as the mediator in a tug of war contest. Both muscles need to be closely related in strength and flexibility or the other will suffer. In doing so your spine will lean one way or the other causing the pain in your lower back.

Its good for everyone "with back pain or not" to stretch/ strengthen BOTH your abdominal muscles and your back muscles as well.

I am having issues with my right hip, and it's causing muscle spasms in my lower back!

Went to the back cracker today for an adjustment before the Morgan Cup. Asked him about my elbow, and he pulled it, twisted it and pressed on it and it popped nine ways to Sunday! Still hurts some but feels a lot better than it has the past month.

My old chiropractor left her practice to market some gizmo she invented, good for her, bad for Danny. The new lady that took her place decided to not accept BC/BS, so unless I wanted to pay the out-of-network blood money I had to go elsewhere. So I did. A co-worker recommended a guy and I swear I think I would've gotten more benefit out of burning the cash I spent for two co-payments. Now I'm not up on the ways of the back breakers but wiggling my legs around clockwise and then counter clockwise doesn't seem like it would do a whole lot of good. It didn't, a few days and I'm right back in the same pain and the legs are starting to tingle again.

Curses!

Since this has been resurrected... There is no easy fix and no one thing. If there were, I or somebody else would be rich.

You need to be consistant with stretching and strengthening, if not the pain and problems will continue. I have 2 bulging and 1 degenerated disc and i am always with some sort of pain. I am used to most of it and I know what will make it worse - golf does not help. Doc says golf is fine as long as I warm up properly and continue to work on flexibility and strengthening.

SW, try yoga. There is a lower back program you can follow.. I bought into a Chiro once, which actually did help, but I find that I can get the same relief myself at home doing regular exercises..

Every time I play without stretching well, I get some nasty pain, so I've learned to spend a lot of time stretching, it has made a difference in my game play and I don't come home with bad back pain

I'm pretty stringent about my stretching, but I didn't know there was a specific yoga for the lower back. I lost out after cat-cow and the tree. Maybe I'll give cookies better half a shout :bulgy-eyes:

Hey Danny, I have been doing hot yoga for Just over a week now. I believe I've gone four times now. I can honestly say that I have zero back issues and I get a great total body workout. It is not easy but you can always tone down the poses as needed. I highly recommend it.

I can also gladly get the wife to recommend some lower back specific yoga poses if you wanted to try them at home, just let me know.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

One of the nicest things about moving has been a hidden little gem. I get a moderate back pain occasionally. Mostly from windshield time and golfing. A buddy introduced me to Thai massage. I'd be careful googling it because i've been told that's sometimes code for "happy ending massage parlor." It's a combonation of deep tissue massage, stretching and a bit of chiropractic. The massage is a bit painful and i even had some bruising after the last one. The stretching part is awesome though. Word of caution though. Don't drink beer that night. Make sure you drink lots of water after massage.

Hey Danny, I have been doing hot yoga for Just over a week now. I believe I've gone four times now. I can honestly say that I have zero back issues and I get a great total body workout. It is not easy but you can always tone down the poses as needed. I highly recommend it.

I can also gladly get the wife to recommend some lower back specific yoga poses if you wanted to try them at home, just let me know.

Tappin' from the iPhone!

Sure man, I'd love to try it especially with your success. Whatever she suggest is fine with me.

Merged with a pretty big thread on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back