5i - 175
6i - 165
7i - 155
8i - 145
9i - 135
PW - 115
56* - 75
60* - 55

Boy, just looking at those...is my wedge technique EVER messed up. I need me a 52* pronto.

Driver- 250-280
3w - 220
3i - 195
4i - 185
5i - 175
6i - 165
7i - 155
8i - 145
9i - 135
PW - 115
56* - 75
60* - 55

Boy, just looking at those...is my wedge technique EVER messed up. I need me a 52* pronto.

JMATT, I pretty much hit the same distances as you with all my clubs. I use a 52* and it's a pretty solid 100 yd club for me. I think it would fit into your bag nicely and solve that distance gap.

I play with a bunch of guys who claim to hit the ball 300+, but without exception they hit about 1 of 20 300 straight enough to be playable, 4 of 20 unplayable, and the rest of the time they barely out-drive my ss 95-100 240-250yds. I'm not saying that to call anybody a liar (I never would without playing with them a lot and knowing them well lol), but to buoy your spirits! Don't feel bad, unless you're extremely strong or athletic or naturally gifted the chances of hitting it that long are very low. Be happy to get better not just longer :)

You are dead on. I have been playing at a fairly high level for 35 years and very rarely (once every few years) run into anyone who averages 285+ off the tee. I know I can carry a hazard that is 255 but have to nut it if I want to carry something that is 265. I AVERAGE about 260-265 on my drives and would consider myself an above average driver of the ball for my index(less than a 1.5 for the last 30 years). A middle of the pack PGA tour pro averages 288 yards and only 10 average over 300 yds! I can assure you nobody on this board is Bubba Watson long! My rule of thumb is people over estimate how far they drive it on average by 30+ yards.

Here's a quote from study/measurement of drives done at Torrey Pines. Keep in mind that this was a sample of way above average golfers.

"Data was gathered on 87 male players, who were also asked to analyze their games. Among the 33 golfers who had a course handicap of 10 or under, seven were scratch players, helping lower the amateur group handicap to 12, well below the national course-handicap average of 17. So how did these better-than-average amateurs fare? The average score for the entire group was 96 -- 24 over par--six shots worse than their reported averages. When broken down into higher handicap(over 10) and lower handicap(10 and under) players, even more major differences reveal themselves. Distance and accuracy off the tee - The golfers in our test averaged 212 yards per drive on the measured holes (Nos. 4 and 9). The tour average during the Buick event was 285 yards; Woods averaged 298. So Tiger has an 86-yard head start on our players. Our 10-and-under handicappers bridge this gap by nearly a quarter, to 232 yards, trailing Tiger by 66 yards. One of the most telling numbers was how dramatically the amateur players inflated their driving distances. The lower handicappers claimed their average drives went 247 yards, while driving-distance stats taken on two holes documented an average of 232--a 15 yard exaggeration. Higher handicappers claimed a driving average of 227 yards and, in actuality, hit it 198 yards--a 29 yard lied of the mind."

Last edited:
You are dead on. I have been playing at a fairly high level for 35 years and very rarely (once every few years) run into anyone who averages 285+ off the tee. I know I can carry a hazard that is 255 but have to nut it if I want to carry something that is 265. I AVERAGE about 260-265 on my drives and would consider myself an above average driver of the ball for my index(less than a 1.5 for the last 30 years). A middle of the pack PGA tour pro averages 288 yards and only 10 average over 300 yds! I can assure you nobody on this board is Bubba Watson long! My rule of thumb is people over estimate how far they drive it on average by 30+ yards.

Here's a quote from study/measurement of drives done at Torrey Pines. Keep in mind that this was a sample of way above average golfers.

"Data was gathered on 87 male players, who were also asked to analyze their games. Among the 33 golfers who had a course handicap of 10 or under, seven were scratch players, helping lower the amateur group handicap to 12, well below the national course-handicap average of 17. So how did these better-than-average amateurs fare? The average score for the entire group was 96 -- 24 over par--six shots worse than their reported averages. When broken down into higher handicap(over 10) and lower handicap(10 and under) players, even more major differences reveal themselves. Distance and accuracy off the tee - The golfers in our test averaged 212 yards per drive on the measured holes (Nos. 4 and 9). The tour average during the Buick event was 285 yards; Woods averaged 298. So Tiger has an 86-yard head start on our players. Our 10-and-under handicappers bridge this gap by nearly a quarter, to 232 yards, trailing Tiger by 66 yards. One of the most telling numbers was how dramatically the amateur players inflated their driving distances. The lower handicappers claimed their average drives went 247 yards, while driving-distance stats taken on two holes documented an average of 232--a 15 yard exaggeration. Higher handicappers claimed a driving average of 227 yards and, in actuality, hit it 198 yards--a 29 yard lied of the mind."

I have been hitting my drives a little more consistent, but on my course there is only one driving hole where I (with no gps or rangefinder) am ever confident of my drive lengths. The hole that borders it goes right along but is shorter. The tee box for #14 is level with the very back of the 15th green. The 15th is a short par 4 with 3 measured tee boxes of 240/260/295. So, if you drive it on 14 and get to be level with any of those boxes you know within about 10 yards how far you drove it. Most of my drives make it to that front box, and about 1/3 will go to the middle box. IDK if I explained that very well, but that's how I estimate my drive lengths. Oh, and that hole is usually with a side to slightly hurting wind.

I hit my putter about 50 yards, 40 into the wind.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS distance or going off the scorecard?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Maybe you'll get a couple extra yards out of that Spider.

Kevin

GPS distance or going off the scorecard?

Scorecard and yes I think the spider could get me a few extra yards but I'm worried I might now find myself between putter yardages. Might have to keep both in the bag.

It's hard to see, but every time I hit it, it goes all the way around the Earth and then back over me to my intended target. So my 6 iron goes about 24,901 miles and 185 yards. On a decent shot.

Driver-235
3w-215
3i-205
4i-190
5i-180
6i-170
7i-160
8i-145
9i-130
PW-115
54-90
60-60 :act-up:

How old is this study?

Scorecard and yes I think the spider could get me a few extra yards but I'm worried I might now find myself between putter yardages. Might have to keep both in the bag.

Pfft. You probably hit it 20 yards at most

Probably a good idea. You could weaken that Spider a degree or 2 and strengthen that driver to about 5.5, should take care of things.

How old is this study?

Even if the study is old, I doubt the idea that golfers overestimate their lengths has changed :)

Driver: 270
3W: 245
2H: 215
3I:200
4I: 180
5I: 170
6I: 160
7I: 150
8I: 140
9I: 115
PW: 100
GW: 85 (52-degree)
SW: 75 (56-degree)
LW: 65 (60-degree)

Averaged a whopping 200 yards off the tee with a 3 wood last time I went out. Aint that nice?

Made some changes to my bag and my swing and retweaked my averages. I'm Shorter with the driver but way more accurate. Only missed 4 fairways in 36 holes this weekend. These numbers are from my GPS.

7023899649_316ba1c66d_z.jpg

Last edited:
Made some changes to my bag and my swing and retweaked my averages. I'm Shorter with the driver but way more accurate. Only missed 4 fairways in 36 holes this weekend. These numbers are from my GPS.
That works! Some sexy sticks you are swinging there.

That works! Some sexy sticks you are swinging there.

Thank you sir. I think this is the first time I've ever been happy with whats in my bag. At least the complete set-up.

Here's mine:

Driver: 280+
3 Wood: 250
Hybrid: 225
3 iron: 210
4 Iron: 200
5 Iron: 185
6 Iron: 170
7 Iron: 160
8 Iron: 150
9 Iron: 135
PW: 125
Gap: 110
Sand: 90
Lob: 75

I dunno about the whole distance thing. I am not a long hitter, but I seem to get around okay, and if I am not playing well, it certainly isn't because of a lack of length. I have played the tips on some pretty long courses and not suffered from lack of distance at all. I think up to a certain point, maybe the 200-220 mark, it is marginally important, but after that, unless you are on tour, you are better served focusing on your short game.

Driver: 240-250
3W: 220
3H: 200
4I: 190
5I: 180
6I: 170
7I: 160
8I: 150
9I: 135
PW: 120
GW: 100
SW: 85