buj77

Reaction score
Handicap
Me
Why is it that, when one part of your game is on...the other part seems to suffer (is it because one thing is going well, it makes you focus less on the other parts of your game)?

To give you an example...my last two rounds were charaterised like this:

Round #1- Virtually perfect off the tee...nothing less than 260 (I play a 3 wood) off the tee on the long holes and 14 out of 18 fairways hit. Approach shots weren't very accurate (and I felt the distance was too short on many occassions to make full swings/shots) and the chipping and putting was rubbish.

Time Between rounds: Practiced a lot more on my swing...mainly with short irons...chipped and putted everytime I went to practice.

Round#2- Felt 10 feet tall approaching the first tee...played my first tee shot a bit thin (I felt this was probably because I had no time to warm up)....anyway...on the approach shots...everything within 150 yards was within 15 feet of the pin...and as for chipping...when I was off the green, I almost never putted because I'd chip to within gimme range....that's the good news...the bad news is I was never on the fairway with my drives and I was basically all over the place from the tee...I even switched to irons off the tee mid round because I figured that if my approach play was so good, maybe its just a case of a bad day with the woods...but no...it was bad irrespective of which club is used to tee off with...and it was brilliant once I got the ball on the fairway!

Now its back to looking at my driving/game off the tee...and all that happend within a time frame of two weeks...hance my original question:

Why is it that, when one part of your game is on...the other part seems to suffer (is it because one thing is going well, it makes you focus less on the other parts of your game)?

It's just the nature of this great game....I know exactly what you mean though....back last summer I was really struggling with my driver and my short game was dead on....it was keeping me scoring okay because I was getting up and down from everywhere!!

So I really work hard on the driver and now I am great off the tee, but my short game sucks....LOL

then occasionally the perfect storm hits and you do everything right.

How true this is and I stopped trying to figure it out. Any given time period either my driving, iron play or short game goes south. If I can keep two of three on track I consider it a access. It truly is a "process".

TapAhoy!

I dont have an answer for you because I too suffer from the same thing. If I'm hot off the tee usually my irons and putting let me down and vice verse. Also what screws me too is when I'm having a pretty good round and I start to play too conservative and tee off with 3 wood or less on short par4s to leave those 100yd approach shots. Never fails that then my game starts to fall apart. I guess thats just the game of golf though. It would be too easy otherwise if everything worked well all the time.

I have a theory about this and some may agree others won't. The simple
answer is we don't practice equally on our game. Most head to the range and hit a small to large bucket a few times a month. But we play more then that and just show up on the first tee
having no idea who will show.
If we dedicated equal amounts of time to our putting, short game, 150 and in, mid irons, long irons, FW/hybrids off the deck & tee and the driver. And do this for an extended amount of time, there will be no guess work.
It takes 21 days to groove a habit, so it's important to practice correctly. Meaning seek the eye of a local pro or Golftec teacher to get the proper frame work. Then head out and practice equally. You will be surprised at how much better you will be and how quickly your game with stay 'ON'

Tadashi...I practice far more than I play...still have the inconsistency...I understand what you're saying about spending equal amounts of time on everything till its groves.....but frankly, if we were able to spend equal amounts of time on each part of our game, most of us would be turning pro...in terms of my practice routine (3 times a week)... For two sessions I hit short and medium irons (usually an 8 and a 5)...I work on swing mechanics rather than results (not bothered where it goes so much and more bothered about making the right movement)...then I chip nd putt at the practice green for about 30 mins before going home...for the last session in the week, I still practice for the same amount of time, only I hit fewer iron shots and squeeze some time in for woods (fairway mostly, and if I hit those well...then I'll try a few shots with the driver)....

Back