Cleveland CG16 Irons - PHOTOS!!!

One thing is the 8-iron in that set is like your CG4 7-iron(loft and length) and if you hit the CG4 irons better I would stick with them. If I were you I would take both sets to the range and try them against each other and see how they perform. Not sure what year the CG4's came out but I would think the Burners should be more forgiving. A blade type iron might be better for your swing.

I think they came out in 06 or 07 and yea they probably are more forgiving

You are accustomed to the CG4's and the lighter weight shaft can take some getting used to especially if you have a fast or quick transition (my experience). I would give your new irons some more work because you may not like lighter shafts and if you want to get the CG16 irons you might want to get a little heavier steel shaft. They are great clubs head and shaft but I think the shaft might be more the issue than the head.

Played my first round with mine today. Shot 48/42 for a 90.

First impressions: damn these are long! They feel great coming from my old TA5s.

Played my first round with mine today. Shot 48/42 for a 90.

First impressions: damn these are long! They feel great coming from my old TA5s.

Come in high to?

Yeah, these babies launch... Part of that may be due to the graphite shafts.

THe extra length makes these feel heavy to me.

I have switched from the stock 85gm steel shaft to Aerotech Steelfiber i95cw on my CG16s. I love them! I now have a penetrating ball flight with my cg16s. I had Burner 2.0 with KBS Tour it was a good combo but can't compare to my latest combo, IMO. I had the same heavy feeling on Burner 2.0, a tad less with stock steel on CG16s. None of that with the latest combo.

Hit these today for the first time and must say I really like them. I have manly been hitting Burner 2.0 and Razr X's and trying to decide between them. Went in for a fitting and ended up getting a lesson instead the whole time using the CG16's. They feel really good. I think I'm leaning towards these or Burner 2.0's now. Just got finished reading most of this thread and got alot of great info out of it.

Also if anyone is interested in buying these still most authorized dealers are offering 175-200 dollar instant rebates depending on if you buy a 7 or 8 club set. Worldwidegolfshops.com has the 4-PW sets for 614.99, 439.99 after instant rebate with free delivery and no tax. Really good deal. It's now between these and the Burners which are only 399 new right now. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any difficulty getting used to these? I came off my old set of TA5's and cant seem to hit these that well on the course. They do perform well at the range...

I have a fast swing speed and am afraid the shafts are too light. Thinking about switching these out for mizuno jpx800's...

Anyone have any difficulty getting used to these? I came off my old set of TA5's and cant seem to hit these that well on the course. They do perform well at the range...

I have a fast swing speed and am afraid the shafts are too light. Thinking about switching these out for mizuno jpx800's...

Why not try lead tape first? Start with 4 grams and add 2 grams as needed until it feels better.

What are you seeing that makes you think that they aren't a good fit? Are they ballooning or not giving you the distance you want? I would take them to a fitter and get a solid answer. Good luck!

What are you seeing that makes you think that they aren't a good fit? Are they ballooning or not giving you the distance you want? I would take them to a fitter and get a solid answer. Good luck!

Not sure what you mean by balloning. My tempo just feels so off. I feel im either catching the ball thin or chunking it. I have a fast swing speed and a quick release.

I really dont want to mess around with lead tape. I'd rather just have a club that works for me.

The distance is there, im 22 years old, fast swing speed and in good physical shape. But just can't seem to connect properly on these...

Also to clarify i usually shoot between 78-88. Ive been creeping into the 90's lately mostly because of failed approach shots.

perhaps they're not the right length for you?

Not sure what you mean by balloning. My tempo just feels so off. I feel im either catching the ball thin or chunking it. I have a fast swing speed and a quick release.

I really dont want to mess around with lead tape. I'd rather just have a club that works for me.

The distance is there, im 22 years old, fast swing speed and in good physical shape. But just can't seem to connect properly on these...

Ballooning just means that they are flighting too high, costing you distance. I think your best bet is to find a good fitter and have him/her take a look. I know that it make a huge difference for me when I got my last set. My striking consistency noticeably improved almost right away.

Unless you've had a fitting you'd be surprised. I'm 6'1" and always played standard off the rack stuff because I hit it fine...had a fitting for my most recent set of irons and found out I needed almost another 1 1/2" and 2* up...it may be worth getting that looked at

potentially, however I'm 6' tall with an upright stance so I don't really see this being an issue...

Unless you've had a fitting you'd be surprised. I'm 6'1" and always played standard off the rack stuff because I hit it fine...had a fitting for my most recent set of irons and found out I needed almost another 1 1/2" and 2* up...it may be worth getting that looked at

Same with me. I'm 6'1" as well and play the CG16s at 2˚ up +1".

Same with me. I'm 6'1" as well and play the CG16s at 2˚ up +1".

Interesting. I just scheduled a fitting at the shop I purchased them from for next week. I'll let you guys know the results.

JonD do you have a fast swing speed?

Interesting. I just scheduled a fitting at the shop I purchased them from for next week. I'll let you guys know the results.

JonD do you have a fast swing speed?

I have a moderate swing speed but that usually affects the shaft flex (I'm currently R/R+ on irons). Good luck at the fitter. You might be surprised.

Did I see in this thread where someone changed the shaft in these irons? The reason I ask is I have a set of these and the shafts seem to light in weight for me. Just would like to know if it would be advisable to do so and how are the results. I have the 85 gram Traction steel shafts in my irons. I assume most iron heads are about the same weight and this shouldn't change the characteristics of the iron.

CTgolfer instead of head weight it might be shaft weight you want to play with. I have a set and like them but my tempo is all over the place, some people just need more weight to feel the head better and the weight will also help slow your swing down. Swing speed is only good if you can hit the sweet spot and this weight will help you catch it better. you might try counter-weighting the clubs first as it is cheaper than re-shafting. Just curious what shaft weight were you using before you got the CG 16 irons.

I was in the same boat (also came from TA5s). It took me a couple of range sessions to really get used to them. The shafts are obviously longer than your TA5s so I had to stand a little further back than I thought. Thatis what took the most time to get used to.

MajBC- I believe before this I had True Temper Dynamic Gold 300's which off top of mind are approx 120grams?

Mbole- I went in for a fitting today. Realized the shaft length was definitely an issue. Had my 7-P cut down 1/2inch and my 4-6 cut down 3/4 of an inch.

I was hitting everything off my heel, and my iron shots naturally have a draw making it an even more pronounced issue. Hopefully this will help things a bit.

Back