Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

This might sound dumb but its something I need to work on. When I went to play golf at my old course it was very simple. I'd drive up and usually within 5 minutes I was teeing off. We had no range, unless you wanted to use a shag bag and pick up the balls yourself, so it was just unload the clubs and on to the first tee. Well when I signed up for my new course I opted to for the unlimited range balls add on. I hadn't utilized it up to this weekend so my routine stayed the same, unload the car and off to the first tee. From my previous experiences at outings and the 1st Morgan Cup I know that warming up on the range is essential. I needed to learn how to do it without burning myself out. In FL for the viewing party our first day we hit no range balls, and to no surprise it was my best round of the 4 played that week. Other days we hit balls and I would get tired out by mimicking Chunky at the 2011 THP Outing. I love going to golf tournaments and watching how the pros prepare for their upcoming round. They make it look so simple. They have a plan and they stick to it. Well this is what I was working on over the weekend. On Friday and Saturday I got to the course and hour early. A bucket of balls consists of 35, so I think that is plenty to hit. On Friday I didn't even hit all 35, I hit maybe 20-25. Even though I put up a 7 on the first hole because I got myself out of position and short game let me down, I felt that my swing was better for the first few holes. On Saturday I did the same, only I hit all 35 balls and then moved on to the putting green where I took some chip shots and putts for 10 minutes. Well that day I started out great firing a 38(+2) front 2, before my game left me for the back 9.

I think there is something to warming up before a round. I just don't know how to do it. So my prep work consists on how to warm up for a round. When I go to the range normally I'm usually doing to so to work on something, so it's a little different than preparing for a round in my book. I probably won't get much golf in this week since I'll be out of town, but each time I get to the course now I'm going to work on warming up better.

I hear you there, Dean. Honestly, I will usually hit 15-30 balls max these days because I never see a benefit from more. I just need something warm up with. I find that some putting practice does me more good than anything.

That is a great thought Dean. I used to try to fix my swing before I hit the course instead of warming up. When I finally got it though my head that it was warm up time and not practice time, I started liking it a lot more.

This might sound dumb but its something I need to work on. When I went to play golf at my old course it was very simple. I'd drive up and usually within 5 minutes I was teeing off. We had no range, unless you wanted to use a shag bag and pick up the balls yourself, so it was just unload the clubs and on to the first tee. Well when I signed up for my new course I opted to for the unlimited range balls add on. I hadn't utilized it up to this weekend so my routine stayed the same, unload the car and off to the first tee. From my previous experiences at outings and the 1st Morgan Cup I know that warming up on the range is essential. I needed to learn how to do it without burning myself out. In FL for the viewing party our first day we hit no range balls, and to no surprise it was my best round of the 4 played that week. Other days we hit balls and I would get tired out by mimicking Chunky at the 2011 THP Outing. I love going to golf tournaments and watching how the pros prepare for their upcoming round. They make it look so simple. They have a plan and they stick to it. Well this is what I was working on over the weekend. On Friday and Saturday I got to the course and hour early. A bucket of balls consists of 35, so I think that is plenty to hit. On Friday I didn't even hit all 35, I hit maybe 20-25. Even though I put up a 7 on the first hole because I got myself out of position and short game let me down, I felt that my swing was better for the first few holes. On Saturday I did the same, only I hit all 35 balls and then moved on to the putting green where I took some chip shots and putts for 10 minutes. Well that day I started out great firing a 38(+2) front 2, before my game left me for the back 9.

I think there is something to warming up before a round. I just don't know how to do it. So my prep work consists on how to warm up for a round. When I go to the range normally I'm usually doing to so to work on something, so it's a little different than preparing for a round in my book. I probably won't get much golf in this week since I'll be out of town, but each time I get to the course now I'm going to work on warming up better.

Great thoughts ddec, I need to do the same thing. I am in th same boat...my old course had no range, but my new one does. I have used the range quite a bit but so far I think I have only used it once before a round because I am so used to going and not being able to warm up ahead of time. I think doing a proper warm-up can easily knock 3-4 strokes off your round. Your thoughts on doing the proper amount of warm up without getting worn out are important.

I hear you there, Dean. Honestly, I will usually hit 15-30 balls max these days because I never see a benefit from more. I just need something warm up with. I find that some putting practice does me more good than anything.

I just never hit balls before a round. I think 15-30 balls is good. What a difference my swing felt. My back was loose and the first few holes didn't hurt.

I don't even really care how I hit them. Pre-round range time and the course rarely have anything to do with each other for me. It's wierd, but something I noticed a long time ago.

I understand you Dean, here's what the wonderful folks over at GolfTec wanted me to do. Mentally and physically seperate range-time from warm-up time. Meaning when you go out to play do not go and hit balls for an hour before your round. Go out to the range hit a few balls to get loosened up and see what kind of swing you have that day, not mentally trying to work on swing thoughts or mechanics. Go roll some putts to get a feel for the greens, and then lastly before you tee off, go back over to the range and play the first two shots on the course. For my normal course that was Driver 9 iron into a par 4, is it a coincidence that I felt much better stepping up on that first tee last season, no it wasn't.

After my round I go and work on the golf swing, that kept me from putting a bunch of thoughts in my head before the round. Also the things that I needed to work on were fresh in my memory and I could practice with a purpose.

This isn't something I do, but my club's pro does offer a couple warm up tips.

1) Pick the flags that correspond to a couple of the par 3's on the course. That way you know which club you'll be ablet to reach them with.

2) Right before you head out, take 5 short putts in a row and drop them. That way you can see the ball go in the cup.

1) Pick the flags that correspond to a couple of the par 3's on the course. That way you know which club you'll be ablet to reach them with.

2) Right before you head out, take 5 short putts in a row and drop them. That way you can see the ball go in the cup.

I like that, often I find myself hitting longer putts trying to get the speed of the green before the round then proceed to blast the first on the course 10' past.

Whenever I putt before I go out I try to hole 3 or 4 short putts, like hawk says just to see the ball go in.

Excellent tips there, I'm going to try those today, especially the second one!

Love the Par 3 distance tip Hawk. I just hate those range balls!!

Love the Par 3 distance tip Hawk. I just hate those range balls!!

That's where it sort of falls short for me, but with irons, I usually see pretty close distance.

That's where it sort of falls short for me, but with irons, I usually see pretty close distance.

As long as its within 5 yards, you get a pretty good estimate off your first iron shot too. Its why I always just aim for the middle of the green unless the flag is up front.

Saturday I met up with some fellow THPers for a round of golf. It was Degoins, GoalieDave, Setho, and Chunky. Yes, we were a 5some and never once held anyone up. We played Mill Creek Golf Course which is GoalieDaves home course and a very beautiful track.

I played pretty well, I feel like I made a couple of dumb decisions which really messed my score up. My short game was nothing short of AWESOME!!! I dont think these gus realized what kind of clinic they were about to witness Saturday, but they got to see it first hand. After 6 holes, I had 7 putts. I finished the round with 27 putts, none of which were 3 jacks. Yeah, I had mentioned I was pushing my putter, but, I practice every day in my office with it.

I finished the round 41 and 41 for an 82. I played the par 5's like carp, I tried going for them and learned a good lesson.

All in all, I feel like my game is in a good spot. I have some improving to do but it is stilla little early in the season and I know it will come around.

Saturday I met up with some fellow THPers for a round of golf. It was Degoins, GoalieDave, Setho, and Chunky. Yes, we were a 5some and never once held anyone up. We played Mill Creek Golf Course which is GoalieDaves home course and a very beautiful track.

I played pretty well, I feel like I made a couple of dumb decisions which really messed my score up. My short game was nothing short of AWESOME!!! I dont think these gus realized what kind of clinic they were about to witness Saturday, but they got to see it first hand. After 6 holes, I had 7 putts. I finished the round with 27 putts, none of which were 3 jacks. Yeah, I had mentioned I was pushing my putter, but, I practice every day in my office with it.

I finished the round 41 and 41 for an 82. I played the par 5's like carp, I tried going for them and learned a good lesson.

All in all, I feel like my game is in a good spot. I have some improving to do but it is stilla little early in the season and I know it will come around.

Very good to hear man. That is a sick # of putts!

that's some solid putting there, Teezy

Thanks guys. My distance control with the Queen Bee is excellent.

Great to hear One-T! I can't wait to see that Queen B in person! Sounds like your game is in a real good place!

As planned, I got out for 18 with my brother on Friday. I warned him that I had not played a full round or practiced because of my back, and to be prepared to stop at a moments notice. The good news, I played the full 18 with no pain. I felt it start to get fatigued around the 16th hole, but it never went out. The even better news was that when I woke up the next day expecting to pay for it, I felt great. I am not going to lie and say I played great too, because I didn't. I was hittilng the driver really well all day, but without practicing my short game has gone to carp, and I wound up shooting a 48-45 for a 93. Like I said, not great, but that is not what matters, the fact that I could play again was awesome. Hopefully I will be able to start hitting the range multiple days per week soon and get my lessons started too. Right now I am just excited to be playing again.

good to hear you got through the round pain free Yorkem

As planned, I got out for 18 with my brother on Friday. I warned him that I had not played a full round or practiced because of my back, and to be prepared to stop at a moments notice. The good news, I played the full 18 with no pain. I felt it start to get fatigued around the 16th hole, but it never went out. The even better news was that when I woke up the next day expecting to pay for it, I felt great. I am not going to lie and say I played great too, because I didn't. I was hittilng the driver really well all day, but without practicing my short game has gone to carp, and I wound up shooting a 48-45 for a 93. Like I said, not great, but that is not what matters, the fact that I could play again was awesome. Hopefully I will be able to start hitting the range multiple days per week soon and get my lessons started too. Right now I am just excited to be playing again.

Yorkos that is great to hear buddy. The fact you're able to do that has to do wonders for the mind. Extremely happy for you dude.

Glad to hear it, yorkem! Has to be a huge relief dude.

Good to hear you are back out there Yorky. Hopefullly this is a sign of good things to come for you until the MC.

Since I love to overanalyze things I've been thinking about my recent scores. I'm sort of bothered by it all because I feel like I'm hitting the ball well enough to score much better than I am. My number of fairways and distance has really gone up by a large margin and my wedges are about as good as they've ever been.

Soooo, where am I coming up short? The first answer is approach shots. The good news is that I'm not hitting a lot of duffs, fats, etc. The bad news is that I'm missing more greens than I want. Not really big misses, but missing them nonetheless. However, the fact of the matter is that I'm going to miss greens. I'm still learning a new swing and I'm relatively new to the game. I just don't have the ability to hit a lot of greens right now. I'm working to make that better, but time and repetition is the only way that gets better.

I feel like I could drop 5 strokes if I could get my short game in a better place. When I'm missing greens I'm not getting up and down and it's almost always the result of a missed putt. I can think of at least 7 times the other day that I hit a wedge (chip, pitch, whatever) to inside 10 feet and missed a putt. The thing is, I can make those putts in practice. Not every time, but I can make them. So, I figure I need to see what I'm doing differently on the course. My gut tells me that it's a mental block, but I don't really know how to fix it. I think I'll try to mix up my practice a bit. Rather than putting randomly, I'm going to really start concentrating on 5-10 footers and lag putts so I have a little more confidence when those situations come up.

Hawk lets discuss as I love to overanalyze with the best of them. Obviously I was not there so I can only go with what I read. It seems to me that if you are pitching and chipping, you need to be better than 10 feet. Even the pros are not hitting 10 footers with any consistency. Do you think maybe its more a problem with your chipping and pitching?

Back