NHL 2011-2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So - I'm going to be in Philadelphia on Sunday and Monday. Thinking about going to the game on Sunday...in Philly...as a Penguins fan. Oh, how fun that would be.

Pleasus to stick me on your will for all your golf equipment before you head out. :angel:

So - I'm going to be in Philadelphia on Sunday and Monday. Thinking about going to the game on Sunday...in Philly...as a Penguins fan. Oh, how fun that would be.

I've done it. Just be casual. They're going to heckle the crap out of you, but if you don't show any care or you take it in stride they lay off.

I remember last time I went Crosby took a huge dive and bought a call, and I said something like "what a joke!" because I hate when he does it, and the fans around me changed their opinions about me immediately and were friendly the rest of the time. One even bought me a drink because he heard me say I didn't have enough.

And the Oilers pull off the upset, can't believe the jackets didn't get it. wow.

If you're up 2-0, don't wear your jersey there lol. If you don't head back until Tuesday we should get some drinks man

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Haha, I'm not afraid!! I've sat in the middle of the Dawg Pound in Cleveland before by accident with a Steelers jersey and survived.

We're heading there Saturday night and coming back Monday night - our football staff is going out to visit with Villanova's college program on Monday so we're just going to explore the city on Saturday and Sunday.

Just so happened now that a game will occur while we're there. Pretty awesome coincidence.

And the Oilers pull off the upset, can't believe the jackets didn't get it. wow.

Complete and utter garbage. Three straight years, they should be absolutely embarrassed with themselves.

Personally, I can't believe there isn't a revision in the rulebook saying the same damn team can't get the top pick multiple years in a row, let alone stealing it from another team.

What a joke.

Fortunately, it's not really a 'clear-cut' superstar year at the top. It's a solid draft crop but there is no true consensus #1.

Fortunately, it's not really a 'clear-cut' superstar year at the top. It's a solid draft crop but there is no true consensus #1.

Really? I haven't seen any lists (by reputable people/orgs) where Yakupov wasn't #1. Not much debate when CS put him in first place last week either.

Really? I haven't seen any lists (by reputable people/orgs) where Yakupov wasn't #1. Not much debate when CS put him in first place last week either.

True but with that said the Oilers need defense badly. I think its possible they trade down.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Yeah, you're right. I should've been more clear in what I meant - there's not really a clear cut path for the Oilers at #1. They obviously have a ton of skill at forward, led by Hall (another LW) and the Nug. Definitely need some help elsewhere. But, yeah, I'd agree that Yakupov is the #1 talent. I just did a really poor job of expressing my opinion initially.

And, my goodness, I'm not going to get a single thing done today. At all. It's officially playoff hockey time.

how does THAT happen by accident? :bulgy-eyes:

you're going to have great weather for city exploring...80's and sunshine....

Haha, I'm not afraid!! I've sat in the middle of the Dawg Pound in Cleveland before by accident with a Steelers jersey and survived.

We're heading there Saturday night and coming back Monday night - our football staff is going out to visit with Villanova's college program on Monday so we're just going to explore the city on Saturday and Sunday.

Just so happened now that a game will occur while we're there. Pretty awesome coincidence.

I've done it. Just be casual. They're going to heckle the crap out of you, but if you don't show any care or you take it in stride they lay off.

I remember last time I went Crosby took a huge dive and bought a call, and I said something like "what a joke!" because I hate when he does it, and the fans around me changed their opinions about me immediately and were friendly the rest of the time. One even bought me a drink because he heard me say I didn't have enough.

During a playoffs game or regular season? It depends where you sit but things can get ugly I've seen some messed up stuff down there.

Its not a joke, it just didnt go your way. If that rule was in place, you'd be tuffed because you wouldnt get the first pick next year, and that it was a stupid rule. Youll get another chance next year, dont worry.
Complete and utter garbage. Three straight years, they should be absolutely embarrassed with themselves.

Personally, I can't believe there isn't a revision in the rulebook saying the same damn team can't get the top pick multiple years in a row, let alone stealing it from another team.

What a joke.

Its not a joke, it just didnt go your way. If that rule was in place, you'd be tuffed because you wouldnt get the first pick next year, and that it was a stupid rule. Youll get another chance next year, dont worry.

The same team should not be allowed to get the first pick 3 years in a row. Just as in the lottery no team can move up more than 4 spots. Its almost rewarding a team for sucking. With that said, its not the rule but I can understand Dan feeling jobbed.

I agree that it sucks for Canadan, but it is what it is. Crap happens all the time in all sports, sucks, but it is what it is.

The same team should not be allowed to get the first pick 3 years in a row. Just as in the lottery no team can move up more than 4 spots. Its almost rewarding a team for sucking. With that said, its not the rule but I can understand Dan feeling jobbed.

how does THAT happen by accident? :bulgy-eyes:

you're going to have great weather for city exploring...80's and sunshine....

Haha, we purchased the tickets from Craigslist. Asked the guy if they were in the Dawg Pound..he said nope. They were in the Dawg Pound. It was quite amusing though..the fans around us were all cool (plus the Steelers crushed them) but a fan a few rows back kept trying to throw peanuts at us..problem is..they kept missing us and hitting the Browns fans in front of us.

I'm excited. I've been to Philly once before but I was only ten. Our head coach has never been so he wants to do the traditional Philly stuff - i.e. run the steps and eat a cheesesteak, haha.

Hanks, any recommendations on a bar that might be safe for me to watch the game in the city if we do not decide to watch the game?

Yeah, you're right. I should've been more clear in what I meant - there's not really a clear cut path for the Oilers at #1. They obviously have a ton of skill at forward, led by Hall (another LW) and the Nug. Definitely need some help elsewhere. But, yeah, I'd agree that Yakupov is the #1 talent. I just did a really poor job of expressing my opinion initially.

And, my goodness, I'm not going to get a single thing done today. At all. It's officially playoff hockey time.

Oh, then I agree 100%. I think they'd be better off by either a) flipping the pick for a D-man or making the pick and trading one of their Future Four for a D-man or two. I'd assume RNH is untouchable, Eberle is too much of a game breaker to trade him and I'm not sure they'd get fair value for Hall given his stupidity/bad luck (talking injuries here) on the ice. That almost exclusively leaves you with Yakupov, who might not see as much of a market since he's...well...Russian.

Another reason why they'd be better off trading for a proven D-man is that Edmonton aren't very good at growing their prospects. I'd imagine the pressure would HUMANGOUS BIG on them getting that kid in the NHL and helping out there. But that might not be the best way to go.

It's an absolute joke that the same team drafts first three years in a row. It's a joke that Columbus has only ever dropped position in the lottery.

The easiest way to build a dynasty any more is to be terrible for 3-5 years. Pitt with Sid, malkin, Whitney, fleury, staal... Chicago with Kane and toews.. EDM with the last three..

It's pathetic that they got it. And even worse, they'll probably trade it and draft the best defenseman available.

An absolute joke of a process.

Tapatalking from my iPhone

It's an absolute joke that the same team drafts first three years in a row. It's a joke that Columbus has only ever dropped position in the lottery.

The easiest way to build a dynasty any more is to be terrible for 3-5 years. Pitt with Sid, malkin, Whitney, fleury, staal... Chicago with Kane and toews.. EDM with the last three..

It's pathetic that they got it. And even worse, they'll probably trade it and draft the best defenseman available.

An absolute joke of a process.

...Whitney?

That's how the system is designed to work - it's supposed to give bad teams a chance to become good. Remember, the Penguins actually lost the draft lottery the year that they picked Malkin - it just so happened to be a year when the #2 ended up becoming better than the #1. The Penguins were really bad for four seasons (picked Sid in the lockout lottery) - they've been pretty awesome other than those four seasons since 1988. They just happened to be bad at a really awesome time to be bad.

...Whitney?

That's how the system is designed to work - it's supposed to give bad teams a chance to become good. Remember, the Penguins actually lost the draft lottery the year that they picked Malkin - it just so happened to be a year when the #2 ended up becoming better than the #1. The Penguins were really bad for four seasons (picked Sid in the lockout lottery) - they've been pretty awesome other than those four seasons since 1988. They just happened to be bad at a really awesome time to be bad.

Haha nice cherry pick on Whitney. The point was that they were terribly terrible for a small stretch of years and picked up a load of franchise players on account of it.

Also, you want sympathy for losing the top pick a year after drafting Sid? Man, I wish I had those problems.

Haha nice cherry pick on Whitney. The point was that they were terribly terrible for a small stretch of years and picked up a load of franchise players on account of it.

Also, you want sympathy for losing the top pick a year after drafting Sid? Man, I wish I had those problems.

He isn't asking for sympathy, he's pointing out that #1 isn't always the best... Seguin or Hall? I'll take Seguin. Never have the #2s been absolutely terrible.

There's more to life than 1st round draft picks. As a CBJ fan, you'll see that over the next few years.

Do you want Yakupov?

He isn't asking for sympathy, he's pointing out that #1 isn't always the best... Seguin or Hall? I'll take Seguin. Never have the #2s been absolutely terrible.

There's more to life than 1st round draft picks. As a CBJ fan, you'll see that over the next few years.

There's no reason to talk down to me. I am well aware of the quality of top 2 picks and I am also in the group that would have picked seguin over hall 9 times out of 10.

The point is, edmonton continues to be terrible despite getting 1st overall pick over and over, and it's pathetic that they vaulted a team who is in dire need of a franchise player.

I also find it funny to quote me saying first round picks aren't the end all, yet most outside Columbus would say its not a desirable destination for UFAs. So, my condescending friend, where does the talent come from for my team in the near future? Or should I hope they are terrible again this coming year so they can get screwed out of MacKinnon?

Haha, well, Sid was actually drafted a year after Malkin.

There're plenty of teams who have stunk up the joint a la Pittsburgh, drafted high for several consecutive seasons and still haven't made it back. Columbus, Florida (they didn't make it to the post-season with much, if any, of their homegrown talent), Islanders, Minnesota for example. Sure, the future looks brighter but it's not a guarantee by any means.

Do you want Yakupov?

I want yakupov a heck of a lot more than I want grigorenko... Yaku has work ethic.

Also, they could have easily traded that pick down to 3/4/5 for a relevant NHL player and drafted galchenyuk or forsberg.. That option would have been great for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back