Great Michigan Golf

avkbball32

Reaction score
Handicap
Michigan is kind of overlooked for golf. It's actually home to some of the nicest courses in the country (Oakland Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Crystal Downs)
What are your favorites in Michigan?

I have yet to play any Michigan courses but have always wanted to play Arcadia, and I also want to get up to Harbor Shores this year. I hear both are AMAZING!

You're right about Michigan being underrated for golf courses. I lived there on two occasions for a total of 20+ years, so I have many favorites. I was priviledged to play Crystal Downs several times and most people don't know just how fine that course is. It deserves it's national ranking. Oakland Hills is nice, as is Warwick Hills. But, Shepherd's Hollow, and a private course in Royal Oak called Red Run were personal favorites. Red Hawk and the Bear at Grand Traverse were nice trips. The list could go on and on.

Gaylord has a lot of nice courses to choose from.

I play Dunmaglas and Crooked Tree every summer during vacation in the Charlevoix area. Last year I almost dropped the cash ($160) to play Bay Harbor, but my driving was bad that week and I didn't want to embarrass myself. If I can keep driving straight this year, I may finally give it a go. High cost, but I've never played a course of that caliber before.

Two courses that are often overlooked for michigan golf are Pilgrim's Run and Thousand Oaks. . . both are in the Grand Rapids area.

Two courses that are often overlooked for michigan golf are Pilgrim's Run and Thousand Oaks. . . both are in the Grand Rapids area.

Thousand Oaks is a great course. I haven't played it in a few years but hope to again soon.

One course that doesn't get much attention is only a few miles from my family cabin in Oscoda, Lakewood Shores Resort. They have three courses of varying difficulty. My favorite being The Gailes which is a Scottish Links style course. I am playing there at the end of the month. Stepping onto that course in the spring feels like you are really in Scotland..So much fun.

9 courses in the Golf Digest Top 100, hoping to play a few this year

My favorite in the flint area is sugarbush golf clubs. It's a 4 star rated course by golf digest. In a few more weeks I'm going to bay harbor for the first time I can not wait

My favorite in the flint area is sugarbush golf clubs. It's a 4 star rated course by golf digest. In a few more weeks I'm going to bay harbor for the first time I can not wait

I listen to the Michigan Golf Show on the radio most Saturday mornings and they are always at Sugarbush. Sounds like a nice course.

I have yet to play any Michigan courses but have always wanted to play Arcadia, and I also want to get up to Harbor Shores this year. I hear both are AMAZING!

I have played Harbor Shores twice. It is a pretty fun course. Hardly anyone was on it when I played, and the range was pretty sweet. Once of the greens is ridiculous. I am pretty sure I had an uphill putt where the hole was actually higer than my head... and 100 feet away!

I listen to the Michigan Golf Show on the radio most Saturday mornings and they are always at Sugarbush. Sounds like a nice course.

Its a great course very long but very playable the front 9 is wide open and lots of hills and wind comes on to factor. Back 9 is very thick hard wooded and on some holes. The greens are always fair and roll very nice! Great practice range. And tons of wild life. On Friday night my girlfriend and I play there and it's not uncommon for a few deer to pop out of the woods!

Great course, great rates, close to home, with the up north feel makes sugarbush the areas best course!

Sugarbush is nice But I like copper ridge as well it's right down the road.

if you go a bit south of Flint, Pine Knob is a very nice course. and just a bit north in the frankenmuth/ millington area I really like the timbers and the fortress.

Tullymore is an Awesome course. It is up by Big Rapids. My league course is Fieldstone, right by the Palace of Auburn Hills, it is a great course also. I really want to play Arcadia Bluffs!

The timbers is nice but the greens are slow. I play at Warwick hills lot, I'm not a fan of the lay out course but the greens are very true and the speeds are fast. I was thinking about going over to hawk hallow this Sunday any one played there before?

The timbers is nice but the greens are slow. I play at Warwick hills lot, I'm not a fan of the lay out course but the greens are very true and the speeds are fast. I was thinking about going over to hawk hallow this Sunday any one played there before?
I was under the assumption that warwick hills was private. How much are greens fees there?

Golfed 18 at Cedar Chase outside of Cedar Springs.
Nice course, back nine was tite. $25.00 w/ cart.

Let me know how you like Bay Harbor -- I'll be vacationing in Michigan in July, and am strongly inclined to play there -- want to know how much my ego will be flayed.

I was under the assumption that warwick hills was private. How much are greens fees there?
40k a year! Lol no I work there on the weekends mowing greens so every monday I get to go out for free! After working there for 4 years the course is getting kinda old!

John will deff let you know how bay harbor is I absolutely cannot wait to play there in 3 weeks!

40k a year! Lol no I work there on the weekends mowing greens so every monday I get to go out for free! After working there for 4 years the course is getting kinda old!

John will deff let you know how bay harbor is I absolutely cannot wait to play there in 3 weeks!
Wow I'm jealous. I've always wanted to play there, I've been to a few Buick Opens but never had the opportunity to play it. I used to work for a guy who lived on the course and I still have never played there. Lucky you.

Maybe I could work some magic and make that happen

Has anyone ever played hawk hallow? I was also wondering is the majestic was a good course? Any one played either of these 2?

Back