Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Ive been all in since last fall. Wife gave me a blank check to get a new set,fitted and bag. Also added a K15 driver and 3w to boot. My specs after the fitting were +1/2, gold grips "went with Id8 cords" White dot. I can't begin to tell you how much i love this set. I know the proper fitting has alot to do with it.

IMG_0203.jpg

Wow Benchmade - great looking bag man!!

looks great bench!---just got 1 too many clubs LOL

That is a great looking setup Bench.

Great setup Bench. How do you like your LW? Can you compare it to any others?

Thanks guys ! The LW and SW took some getting used to over conventional wedges. My prior set i had TM XFT SW and LW with Burner 2.0s. I prefer the ease of the G20 wedges now that im used to them. The gaps are perfect and out of bunkers is automatic.

That is indeed an awesome looking bag there Bench. For me the decision was not easy but I feel I made the right one. I demo'd the G20 head to head on a par 3 course against my MP-59's and my best shots were better with the 59s than the G20's as I expected them to be. However, I hit more greens and my misses allowed me to put for par more often with the Pings. I then researched GI/SGI irons and hit a couple demo days and took the two finalists out to the course again and the results were so very close between the 2 finalists. I chose the Pings as they felt better to hit and I liked the UW better the other sets (Razr X Black) gap wedge. The razr's felt a little more precise, slightly more demanding but my confidence was just higher with the G20's, which surprised me greatly coming from a mostly MB/Blade background. Haven't tried the LW but am looking for a deal on one now to finish the set.

Ratman, couldn't agree more. At the end of the day it's all about the score and ease of getting there. I find the set to be very consistaint. I spent a week down in Atlanta and played a couple of exec courses with my golf buddy. Most par 3s with some par 4s. He got me into golf and has over 8 years on me. Needless to say a half decent swing put me on the greens and was never in trouble. Comparied to the Burner 2.0s. If you catch the Burners perfect you would fly the greens alot or the shot would go further than intended. But over all the G20s are a club longer for me. They don't feel dead like SGI irons. You can feel a miss hit, just not get punnished to bad for it. Hitting the G20 irons pure feels like hitting though smoke. It's nice to just go out and play a round and put the ball where you want it without thought. I like it !

The only Con about my bag is that it's a buzz kill. I no longer go into a golf store looking at clubs. I dont get hyped up over new releases lol. I no longer scour websites looking for the magic stick. Last year i scored in the high 90s. Since getting this set last fall till now im in the high 80s and getting lower. It's going to be a good year.

I did mention that i had a K15 driver and 3W in the rotation. :banana:

Been 8 days and still no irons. I was doing fine until I say Benches setup. Now it is killing me not having them.

Hey Omikey

Can we get an update on how your Pings are holding up? Also on how you are playing? Are the golf lessons paying off?

Thanks guys ! The LW and SW took some getting used to over conventional wedges. My prior set i had TM XFT SW and LW with Burner 2.0s. I prefer the ease of the G20 wedges now that im used to them. The gaps are perfect and out of bunkers is automatic.

Same here, I used to play with a Cleveland style sand wedge and had difficulty. The Ping G20 SW gets me out every single time.

How are the G20 hybrids working for you? I went to buy them at GG and they talked me out of them. They said they have heard a lot of complaints.

Just receive my 4-UW G20's, headed out to the range for lunch, will report back!

Hey Run
How were the new clubs? Still waiting on my set to come in. It has been 8 business days, total of 12 days so far. How long did it take for yourself come in?

How are the G20 hybrids working for you? I went to buy them at GG and they talked me out of them. They said they have heard a lot of complaints.

I like the G20 Hybrid design, but I haven't tried many hybrids so I can't really compare actual performance. For me the G20 Hybrid is straight as an arrow and gives me the distance I was looking for.
I only have the 20 degree Hybrid and play it with the same ball position as my 5 wood (19 degree) Distance is about 10-15 yards less with the hybrid than the 5 wood which filled a gap for me. Distance was verified on the GG computers and I confirmed on the course.

My G20's came in yesterday an hour before lunch and I took a nice long lunch break to try them out.

LOVE them, so nice looking and the finish on them is so nice. Nice high ball flight, and with my correct lie, a perfect right to left ball flight, 5 yards I would say. I don't know about the 4i, but I was striping the 5 iron out around 195. The PW and UW were point and shoot, so easy to hit exactly where I wanted to. I'll post more after my round today, but so far so good after about 175 balls at the range yesterday.

turf interaction was incredible also. I would say it would take a pretty fat shot to screw up too badly. the big soles just tear through the turf, like a freakin ball magnet.

Can't wait to get out today!

Just got the call that mine came in today. Looks like this weekend just got better.

I like the G20 Hybrid design, but I haven't tried many hybrids so I can't really compare actual performance. For me the G20 Hybrid is straight as an arrow and gives me the distance I was looking for.
I only have the 20 degree Hybrid and play it with the same ball position as my 5 wood (19 degree) Distance is about 10-15 yards less with the hybrid than the 5 wood which filled a gap for me. Distance was verified on the GG computers and I confirmed on the course.

They are a great blend between iron and FWish. Most of todays hybirds feel like small FWs. To me the PINGs are perfect. Easy and compact to hit out of divets,FW bunkers,rough. I also like the fact that the paint is far enough from the crown to prevent paint chipping. No worries about getting down into the junk unlike other FW "style" hybirds.

Just picked up my Pings. They feel better than the store demo model! It is raining here but hopefully tomorrow I can try them out. Now after looking at them, I am not sure if my 6 year old Walter Hagen bag is good enough for these clubs. You know what they say, " A fool and his money plays golf."

Actually I never heard that before but feel that way everytime I go to the golf store.

Just wanted my 50th post to be on this thread. After all, this thread cost me several thousand dollars these past two weeks.

Back