Any Slicefixer Fans?

Right on. Try out D8 on your irons, I love em since I've switched.

Right on. Try out D8 on your irons, I love em since I've switched.

Weird question, is it a quick fix to get your current clubs swingweight changed?

Weird question, is it a quick fix to get your current clubs swingweight changed?

There a few quick ways to go about it. I opted to try a lightweight grip. In general every 5 grams of grip weight is worth 1 point. I dropped 25 grams (from 50 gram to 25 gram grip) which is 5 swingweight points. I plan to do this with all of my irons which would have me around D6-7.

I'd like to get up to a D8, but I am unwilling to put lead tape on my Pro Combos and therefore somewhat limited in how high I can go.

But if you are OK with lead tape that is another quick way to make the change.

Last, you can change to heavier/lighter shafts but that gets pricey.

There a few quick ways to go about it. I opted to try a lightweight grip. In general every 5 grams of grip weight is worth 1 point. I dropped 25 grams (from 50 gram to 25 gram grip) which is 5 swingweight points. I plan to do this with all of my irons which would have me around D6-7.

I'd like to get up to a D8, but I am unwilling to put lead tape on my Pro Combos and therefore somewhat limited in how high I can go.

But if you are OK with lead tape that is another quick way to make the change.

Last, you can change to heavier/lighter shafts but that gets pricey.

I may try the grips thing first, any suggestion from you or others on lighter grips that would help this type swing and swingweight change?

I went with Winn WinnLite Soft grips. Most OEM's off an ultralight grip or line of them so you've got plenty to choose from.

Also, this may be helpful as you determine the change in swingweight: http://www.myostrichgolf.com/resources/swing.xls

I went with Winn WinnLite Soft grips. Most OEM's off an ultralight grip or line of them so you've got plenty to choose from.

Also, this may be helpful as you determine the change in swingweight: http://www.myostrichgolf.com/resources/swing.xls

Thanks for the info, I saw a few lites on Winns website I might check out. It makes sense how that would help with this type of swing, I still don't have it down entirely and some of what my local pro is having me work on doesn't fit exactly, but I'm hitting the ball better than i have in a while so I'm not complaining on how I'm getting there.

So, I did something today I haven't done in a long time. I actually went to the driving range and hit nothing but 9 to 3. I hadn't even tried this is ages. It started off what I thought was well, then I started noticing that I wasn't hitting the center of the face, but maybe 1/8 of an inch from the heel, just barely on the grooves themselves. But then, I tried to adjust a little and I would make center contact, but the ball would go 45*+ to my right. Anybody else had this problem?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried this with anything other than real balls. I have a park behind my office that would be perfect for me to practice in, but I couldn't use real balls due to length and the possibility of hitting someone. I was thinking I have the time to go out for 15 minutes or so a couple of times a day and just practice my 9 to 3 but wasn't sure if it would be bad to use practice balls of some sort. Any thoughts?

OK, one more question. I was curious where the ball position should be, and I'll explain. Today I went back to the range and hit about 200 balls. Of those, maybe 5 went straight with good contact. Most of them were complete crap. I was playing the ball int he middle of my stance, but, I found that when I hold the angle with my right wrist, I hit the big ball about 3 inches before the small ball. The only way I was making contact with the ball before the ground when keeping my right wrist angle was if I was positioning the ball off of my right toe. Then, I didn't have enough time to square the clubface and the ball would take off on a 45* angle to my right. Am I totally messed up on this? I would take video but I no longer have a camera that I can take to the range to do any filming, so this is all on me and my ability to be able to describe it, so bear with me.

Sounds like your swing path is too much from the inside. You ever watch Tiger do those over the top practice swings? Thats the feeling of the slicefixer release. It feels like you're just hitting a huge slice, but it doesn't slice at all. But to get that over the top feeling to work correctly, you need to be set up on the right angles, have the proper grip, have proper weight distribution, have your arms in sync with your body and have a deep turn and you must get on to your pivot point a split second before you unwind....and then feel like a big slice.

I hate listening to Johnny Miller sit there and say "Looks like he's trying to hit a cut here"....no he's just trying to feel the type of release that Foley is teaching him.

Get two alignment sticks and put them about 6 inches apart parallel to each other pointing at your target (like train tracks). Do this every time you hit a ball at the range EVER. When you swing back make sure the club stays within the two sticks on the back swing and comes back on the same path. It will feel over the top if you do it right and the ball will fly nicely through the air.

Thanks for the tip. I thought i had done pretty well the other day, but that was off mats. Today i got to hit off of dirt for the first time in a while and that was when i realized how fat i was hitting them.

Thanks for the tip. I thought i had done pretty well the other day, but that was off mats. Today i got to hit off of dirt for the first time in a while and that was when i realized how fat i was hitting them.

He had me move the ball back in my stance when I was hitting my 56 degree, but it is all relative. I might have a narrower stance than you so it is hard to say.

Sweet! Thanks for posting, exactly what I've been working on this week.

Did that video ever come up with a clear thing to work on? I missed a concise takeaway but I also missed the last minute.

Sweet! Thanks for posting, exactly what I've been working on this week.

Hopefully it adds a few yards to those weak tee shots you hit. lol.

Kevin

I reread through this and remember someone asking about the driver swing and having trouble with it. I found this video from Dan on transitioning from the 9 to 3 to the driver. I will be trying this out when I finally move to hitting my driver again:

Went out again tonight and hit another 100 balls. I realized tonight that something I heard Geoff say in an interview applies wholeheartedly to me. I heard and interview with him on Gotham Golf Blog and in it he said that if he didn't have the time, patience or money to devote to constant practice, that he wouldn't take up golf because it's too difficult. I realized that after I hit 100 balls, and not a single one of them made it in the air, or straight, that I should give up this game.

Went out again tonight and hit another 100 balls. I realized tonight that something I heard Geoff say in an interview applies wholeheartedly to me. I heard and interview with him on Gotham Golf Blog and in it he said that if he didn't have the time, patience or money to devote to constant practice, that he wouldn't take up golf because it's too difficult. I realized that after I hit 100 balls, and not a single one of them made it in the air, or straight, that I should give up this game.

I think you just need some instruction on the fundamentals at least so you can enjoy the game a little more. Contact local pro? Or find a golftec? Post some videos on here?

Well, the funny thing is that until I decided I'd give this a try, again, I knew I sucked but thought I was getting better. But, I had seen video upon video and read story upon story of what this swing can do. So, I decided I'd give it a try again, and actually dedicate myself to practicing it before I ventured out onto the course. I mean, I've basically got to take a few months off from playing anyway, so why not, right? Well, I've never had a problem getting the ball into the air until the last 3 or 4 times I've been to the range, trying this. I even thought that I'd get a net at home and practice this in my garage, but after I went to the range and hit from mats, then hit from grass a few days later, I realized that I can't be doing this on mats. I realized tonight that the only way I think I will ever get myself straightened out would be to go down to Geoff, but, that is out of the cards.

The first two suggestions you made are also out of the cards due to budget(reason I'm not playing this summer) and the camera doesn't work anymore. Thanks for the ideas, tho. Just think it's time to reevaluate golf for myself - why continue to do something that you don't get enjoyment out of anymore and it only make you more and more frustrated and mad?

OK, so I know I sound like a boob, but, I watched a video from Dan last night, that I thought I had seen before, but apparently I hadn't. I figured out that I'm using my arms too much and letting my body bring them through. Gonna go to the park behind the office this afternoon and see if I can't hit some small chips and stuff to see if that's what I was missing.

If I could make a humble suggestion Ryan55; focus on staying dead centered over the ball, keeping your left arm straight as a string back and through while focusing on nothing but pulling the clubhead DOWN on to the top inside 1/4 of the ball with your left side, turning around your spine. Nothing is more important than keeping you spine dead still and rotating around it when you first get started.

For now forget the rest. This will guarantee you compress and get the ball up in a hurry. Once you got that, go back and add a fundamental a week, every week from the videos.

This was my path and I've increased my FIR's and GIR's by about 30% this year.

Don't overload on information. Start with perfecting a stable spine and rotating your neutral hands around extended arms, then worry about footwork, hips, etc. later.

Thanks for the tip All4's, but, ironically, that wasn't my problem. I've seen some video my brother has taken of me over the last year when we go play, and the one thing that's been consistent through all of them is my rotation around my spine. Not trying to sound like I'm perfect, but that's the one thing I know I'm doing right. The rest of it was all involved with me actually swinging my arms as they came into the ball. Not just letting my body put my arms in the right position, but actually making ahit with the club. Now I gotta work on letting my big muscles handle it all, and taking my arms out of the swing. But, the tip you gave me sounds like it will definitely help with that, so it's one I will be ingraining in my practice swings and when I do actually hit balls. Thanks!

Here's the video my brother took of me earlier this year, before I started trying this swing again:

Last edited:
1 month thread revival! I've been working diligently on the Slicefixer swing and I've improved a lot, still have a few problems that i'm working on (takeaway, setup, dumping). here are a few videos of my current progress:

Does anyone know of an instructor that teaches this swing within a 4 hour drive of Baltimore, MD?

Last edited:
Back