What do you chip with?

60* all day long. i can move ball position and face angle if i need it to run or fly higher.

what ever the shots calls for 56* to hybrid (seldom) primarily my R11 AW, J40 52* & 56* wedges. Always like to see the ball rollout, keep loft out the shot as much as possible.

Same here. This is what my pro is teaching me. Fly it 30% or so and let it roll out the rest of the way when around the green. Much more reliable results for me.

I was recently looking for tips on chipping and found this Jim Furyk video where he explains (and demonstrates) club choice when chipping:

I was recently looking for tips on chipping and found this Jim Furyk video where he explains (and demonstrates) club choice when chipping:

This is the way I was taught to approach this shot.

Nice video Felit, Things that I like he said were to keep the same stroke and use different clubs to get the ball where you want. I also like the tip of keeping the club more upright, I heard this from Faldo as well on one of the golf channel show's. I tried this and really helped my chipping with my irons.

I chip with everything from 8I to 60*, all depending on what the lie, how much roll out / spin I want.

This is how I chip, what Furyk is describing, use a different club for different distances with the same stroke, works great. I will use anything from a 5 iron to a 60LW depending on the shot and how I want it to run out. The thing Furyk doesn't mention here is that by chipping this way, without any wrist or hand action, it takes the possibility of having any side spin that can throw the ball off line completely out of the shot. The ball will not land and then spin off right or left which can happen when you chip with a more wristy, short pitch type of stroke. The ball will land and roll straight like a putt, it is much easier to predict where it is going to go after it lands on the green. There are usually enough variables with slope, grain, breaks, etc. to think about - removing side spin from the shot helps to keep it on line and headed toward the hole. Guys who chip with a handsy action will have a shot from time to time that inexplicably lands and then jumps left or right after it hits, this is not the green causing this, it is the stroke on the ball.

I love these tips. My chipping is by far the worst area of my game. I am really starting to work much more on it as of late. These tips are helping me set a methodical - yet simple - approach to focus on in my chipping game.

The club I use the most is probably my 8i. Using one club most of the time helps me land the ball where I want.

Last edited:
what ever the shots calls for 56* to hybrid (seldom) primarily my R11 AW, J40 52* & 56* wedges. Always like to see the ball rollout, keep loft out the shot as much as possible.

This is the method I use too, let the ball land on the green and roll. I chipped in today from about 50' with the ball rolling 35 of those 50.

The technique described within the Furyk Video earlier in this thread makes a very strong case for the Cleveland Niblick's design. (A putter's length, more upright lie, and a putter-type stroke with no wrist cock whatsoever). If you buy into Furyk's method and choose to use it, the Cleveland Niblick is surely the perfect match for his method.

Keep in mind that Cleveland originally produced the Niblick in lofts of 37*, 42*, 49*, and 56*. These are also known as the Niblick 9-iron, 10-iron or PW, Dual Wedge or Gap Wedge, and lastly the 56* Niblick Sand Wedge and you could see how Furyk could have used those instead of conventional wedges in making the video. The Niblick's upright lie and shorter clublength really enhance the Furyk method.

(Hope everyone noted that the Furyk video actually begins with Cleveland's logo, so perhaps the Furyk chipping method was used as Cleveland's "method model" as they designed the Niblick Short Game Hybrid Wedges.

I still love my Niblicks!

:act-up:

Last edited:
I am also using Furyks method right now. For me its the easyiest one. I can't handle the hinge and hold method right now. :(

I either chip with my hybrid or my 60*, depending on the situation

Tappin!

I usually chip with my 60* wedge because its all I had. I just purchased a 56* wedge but haven't had a chance to play around with it.

I chipped with my 6 hybrid on the course today for the first time after spending a week or so testing it out.

It's something I am going to keep trying if I am in the right situation. Ran some by the pin a little, but I didn't chunk even one! And they all had a decent result. The worst one I caught a little clean and ran a 15 yard chip, 20 or 25 feet past. But still two putted.

thats the way i learned to chip and it works of me, i use a 3 wood or hybrid for chip and run and my favorite is my 52 vokey, a also use an 8 iron or 9 when i want it to run low, and 60 with open face for a higher chip which stops faster

8 iron

8 iron

In The Little Red Book, Harvey Penick said higher handicappers should choose one club and use that for chipping. Keeping the ball down and getting it rolling as soon as possible was also part of his advice.
In the last round I played Sunday, I had 5 or 6 chips from 30 to 60 feet. Ran all but one up to gimmie range. I think the thing I focus on the most when chipping is landing the ball where I want to. Using one club I can drop the ball inside a 6" circle fairly consistently.
Perhaps as my game improves I will start chipping with something else but as long as I have confidence I can get it close with my 8 iron I will continue using it.

Last edited:
Depends on the shot at hand, but most often I use my 60° and just manipulate the ball position and swing/shot feel to change the ball flight, spin, etc.

Grew up doing it as a kid and just never broke that habit.

I used to use 56,60,PW and my chipping all round was very poor. After spending some more time on my short game i now find it easier to just use my PW and adjust my swing, ball position etc where needed. I only really ever now use my 56 and 60 now when i'm in the bunker of if im near the green with a bunker or hazard to get over.

chipping - 54*, pitching - 50*, 'lobbing' - 58*

I only use my 56 ever. But I use a short game system that makes it so versatile that I can successfully execute any shot I need to.

7i through LW pretty routinely. I let the distance, trajectory, roll out or spin I want determine the club I use. You wouldn't just use a 5 iron for every shot from the fairway regardless of distance so why use one club for all chips or pitches? There are some good reasons to use just one club all the time for chipping, but in my opinion that really limits your options.

anything really..could be from 5i to a hybrid or wedges..depends on lie, pin placement, how well I'm playing, etc.

my round on sunday I used a 3 hybrid, a 9 iron, a 50, 56, and a 60. Equal opportunity chipper

I am really getting good results using my new R11 a wedge from different lies.

I use one swing different clubs ala David Leadbetter, probably Furyk too. Practicing chipping is the funnest part of my game lately. My clubs are 9i@40*-55*.

Back