Titleist 910 D2 & D3 Drivers

Thanks guys I will be trying the Ahina in my D2. Also will look into demoing a HD6.

Was hammering my D2 today. A couple in the 300-310 range. All 270+.

Had 2 different 260 yard 3 woods off the deck on long par 5s. Good day.

So after one day and 27 holes of golf, here is my very brief review of my new D3 driver.

First, keep in mind that my home course is very short. Only a par 31, 9 hole course. 3 holes need a driver, and one hole can sometimes require a driver, depending on the wind direction. It took 8 drives before I finally started feeling comfortable with the new driver. So this brief review is only for about 5 drives.

For the time being, I have the driver set to neutral. My launch angle is too low with it. I didn't have a launch monitor, but I would place it in the 10-11 degree launch range. I think I'd be best at about 12-14 degree launch. It's not a huge deal, but I believe my wrists aren't releasing as well with the heavier club head over my old driver. I am also occassionally, but only twice, not rolling my hands over. As a result, I would lose it right.

Nonetheless, my numbers were matching up very closely with the launch monitor when I was getting fit for loft and shaft. About 260 yards of carry, with roll of 15-20 yards on flat ground. The shots were all either straight or slight draws. There were a couple of times I was able to play a 'bail out hook' without any issue. For me, a hook is much easier to hit than a slice, and obviously, a draw much easier than a fade. But its nice to retain my safety bailout, because most of the time, right = fail on my course. I had two absolutely fantastic drives. Our 7th hole is 374 yards. If you can carry the driver 262 yards and land on top of a hill, you can get some pretty nice rollout. The downside to that is that if you don't get enough roll, you have a downhill stance and an 85 yard shot into a small green. I carried it just shy of the crest, I'm guessing about 259 yards. But this driver is so much nicer to me on back spin than the last driver. So I had a good 45 yards of roll. This works out perfect for a 50 yard pitch shot on a flat lie.

Our 9th hole is about 395 dog leg right. It takes 260 yards again to carry the crest of a hill, but again, you roll down into a valley, and may have an awkward 9 iron on a side hill and down hill lie. I rocketed the ball straight down the left side of the fairway. It carried about 265, landed right next to a point of trees and kicked straight about 25 yards. Because of the dog leg, it's still a 9 iron in over my past driver. The difference is that with the roll, I got to the bottom of the valley for a nice flat lie.

So far, this driver has been the best investment to my game I've ever made. It has added 25 yards of carry. My last driver often backed up in the fairway, so it also adds about 15-20 yards of roll on flat ground. That's a 40-45 yard distance gain.

As I said before, I still have some adjustments to make. I'm going to work on getting the launch angle up a bit just by adjusting my swing. I'm still getting used to how high to tee the ball. My last driver, I had the ball teed quite low, but that doesn't work so well with this driver.

Initially, the sound and feel of this driver are extremely satisfying.

I'll post a follow up review here in a few weeks when I've had enough swings to adjust to it.

~Rock (I guess this wasn't that brief, but when are my posts ever brief)

So far, this driver has been the best investment to my game I've ever made. It has added 25 yards of carry. My last driver often backed up in the fairway, so it also adds about 15-20 yards of roll on flat ground. That's a 40-45 yard distance gain.

My experience too. I had a 10.5 deg Adams Fast 10 with a stiff flex (wasabee shaft I think) and ball flight was very high and the ball would one hop and stop or sometimes even back up going into the wind. My local pro had the D2 9.5 with an RIP 70 stiff shaft that he offered me at a price I just couldn't pass up. The shaft is probably too much for me but I am really enjoying the medium ball flight in all wind conditions and the 15 yards or more of roll in addition to the 25 yards or so of more carry. I play on Oregon Coast so performance into a 10-30 mph wind is a big deal. This combo is pretty amazing so far. I have been playing it about 3 months now.

Darin

Played my 4th round with the driver. First 79 in my life. Actually pulled quite a few as I have been working on my swing as well but overall my misses aren't so bad or are far enough to clear a lot of trouble if that makes sense. I have played on and off for years but got golf into the regular rotation about three years ago and 92 would be about average over most of the last three years. Pretty much breaking 90 now with one 82 & an 84 but 79!!
OH my money well spent for SURE!!

I need to fiddle with these a little more. They caught my eye, and I want one.

You definitely should. I hit them when they first came out and didn't really like it. The problem was that I just pulled it and started to hit it. Never had someone make adjustments according to TrackMan. After having an hour fitting with with it I honestly can say that it is the best driver I have ever hit.

if i didn't spend over $600 in the last month, i'd be all over one of these things.. i'm already 1/3rd titleist, and loving what i have.. once i get a job at the local course, i'm going to be all over the 910d, f, and possibly titleist or new TM irons.. titleist is going to be a strong competitor with TM in tour stats, i have a feeling.

if i didn't spend over $600 in the last month, i'd be all over one of these things.. i'm already 1/3rd titleist, and loving what i have.. once i get a job at the local course, i'm going to be all over the 910d, f, and possibly titleist or new TM irons.. titleist is going to be a strong competitor with TM in tour stats, i have a feeling.

The F is a monster. I love everything about it. Off the tee or off the deck it's just a monster all around. Have it set to C2 and its just nice low draw after nice low draw.

So I got the D2 back from my father in law again. Hopefully it stays in my bag for a while!!!

I'm curious, I have it set so it makes the 9.5 a 10.5, but the ball flight isn't ballooning up on me, but I was fitted for a 9.5, if I set it back down could the ball flight remain the same?

So I got the D2 back from my father in law again. Hopefully it stays in my bag for a while!!!

I'm curious, I have it set so it makes the 9.5 a 10.5, but the ball flight isn't ballooning up on me, but I was fitted for a 9.5, if I set it back down could the ball flight remain the same?

Good question. I'm still debating the change from 9.5 up to 10.25. For now, I think I'll leave it, because I still can't argue with the distance, and I've been slowly seeing progress in raising my launch angle a bit simply by adjusting my swing and setup.

Well, after watching all of the videos from the 2012 outing, I'm now insanely jealous, and all I can do is post about golf, rather than post about great memories of golf in with a bunch of THP people on a beautiful course. Still, at least I can use this time (at work) to talk a little more about my D3.

So I've golfed 4-5 times, typically 18-27 holes per time. The consistency has remained the same with this driver, and so I feel comfortable giving a little review of it.

Feel - Swinging this driver is like swinging a natural extension of my body. I was fitted for a shaft, or at least a titleist proprietary shaft, and I can remember getting fitted and realizing what an incredible difference 10 grams of shaft weight does. Also, I know the Titleist drivers are one of the heavier drivers on the market among major brands. But to me, that little bit of extra weight makes everything seem so fluid. I've swung the new burners and the R11, and they were just too light for me. I felt like I had to 'guide' those clubs. It is a personal preference thing, but for me, I love the feel of swinging the D3. In addition, the ball coming off the sweet spot of this driver is smooth, although not as smooth as some drivers. My old driver, which was an '08 burner I believe, had better feel as far as ball contact.

Sound - Closely associated with feel, and purely subjective. It's not as good as my last driver, but then, I've heard many say that the 07-08 Burner line had an incredible sound at impact. Still, I would put it at a close second. It is a satisfying thwack sound without being deafening. It is somewhat muted, and has a higher pitched impact sound, as opposed to say the R11. But it is not too muted, and sounds much better than the 2011 Callaway drivers in my opinion. I would say it is a cross between the pitch of 2011 Callaway drivers and the volume of most TM drivers.

Looks - Classic and elegant head design. I have not had any sunspot/glare issues off the head. I never thought I'd want the RIP (or in my case, Titleist propietary RIP) shaft, because I thought the texturing and skull and crossbones on the shaft was just a little too gimmicky for me. However, the driver and shaft probably do fit my general personality. Classic, with a hint of rebellion. No one has ever noticed the shaft, and I certainly don't point it out to them. I'm not out for show, I am who I am, and my driver is what it is. Placing the logo face down also takes away any possible distraction.

Performance - On the launch monitor, while getting fitted, I typically launched between 10.5 and 12. I'd like to see that launch between 11.5 and 12.5, and I believe I am working up to that as I adjust to this new driver. My old driver was a TM 07 (or 08 burner, I can never remember), 9.5*, high trajectory. I launched the TM driver very high, and I spent some time adjusting to launch it lower. Now I'm having to adjust to my D3, which is set at neutral settings, meaning it's still at 9.5*. Spin on the launch monitor was a consistent 31,000. Over the past couple of weeks, I can now say that the D3 has added about 20 yards of additional carry, and 15-20 yards of additional roll over my old driver. My old driver was all carry and no roll, so I'm getting 40 extra yards over the old driver, and averaging 275-280. The natural shot with this driver is still a draw to minor hook. The minor hook is about 15 yards, the draws are about 5 yards. However, as I have been adjusting my set to launch the ball a little higher, I am seeing more straight shots than when I started, and those straight shots tend to be about 10 yards right of my target line.

Forgiveness - I find the club to be extremely forgiving. Misses on the toe still find the fairway, although they also tend to be my minor hooks. Missing the sweet spot left or right takes about 15 yards off the drive. Missing the sweet spot low takes probably 25 yards off the drive, mostly due to extremely low launch angle. Misses high are crown shots, they are what they are, and I've only had one crown shot so far.

Feedback - the club lets you know when you've missed and how you missed it, without being punishing on your hands, arms or body. Thankfully, it is also surprisingly forgiving for a 440cc head.

Price - it's still $399 new, which is certainly near the top end of drivers on the market. Titleist is expected to release a new driver next winter, so maybe the D2/D3 will see a price drop.

Overall - The driver certainly fits me and has performed beyond expectations. I was nervous spending that kind of money on a new driver, but now I consider it money well spent. I tried out drivers for a year trying to find one that fit me well, and the Titleist D3 was one I kept coming back to (actually the D2, but the D3 had great results on the launch monitor). If a person likes a little heavier driver, I'd certainly encourage them to give the Titleist D2/D3 drivers a try. There's enough stock shaft offerings that one should make sure to try more than one out in the store. Or better yet, get a fitting.

~Rock

nice review!! thanks

Brought a 910 d2, 9.5 with an Aldila RIP 60 stiff shaft... i was fitted at my local American Golf store by the one guy who i trust!! Spent about an hour in the fitting room with d2 and d3 heads and 5 or 6 shafts and came away with the above set-up.

I set it at up to play a slight fade and slightly up on the loft and went for a round... bloody hell it goes!! Added around 30 yards to my drives i believe mainly down to the best shaft for my swing that has cut the spin rate down to a good level. I shot a nett Par in rain/cloud/slightly windy conditions and had to re-think all my approach shots as i have never been that close to most of the greens straight off the tee :)

Had a few baskets down at the range today using the wrench and changing things around, even at my level it was amazing at the differences in ball flight etc. For the first time i have an adjustable club that can allow me to change to a lower flight when i play on my normal sea-side courses with the strong wind that blows constantly. So far all i can say is... wow! Brilliant club.

The 910D2 was a fairway finder yesterday, as long as I didn't make a stupid swing or move, it was almost dead straight and far. I have never felt this confident with a driver before. The shorter length is certainly helping. My only complaint is the whippy feel of the shaft now, I'm wondering if a different/heavier shaft might give me a little different feel with the same performance.

I AM A STUPID MORON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

After 3 months with my new driver, I decided I might try changing the settings to see what happened.
I bought this driver because I wanted more height and more draw than my old R7 w9degree loft.
First day with it after buying I set it at C1 because the chart said it would be the highest launching and promote the most draw - played a lot of rounds and even a couple tournaments - never really in control with it but managing....
when I looked at the little chart again today I was gonna move it more toward neutral and noticed it said for LEFT HANDED PLAYERS!!!!
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:
Well guess what there are TWO charts in that little book...
Switched to D3 (I think) and bam big drives slight fade down the middle over and over...
So in a way I am really upset but in another way I am stoked and excited and can't wait to play again on Sat. morning..

I AM A STUPID MORON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

After 3 months with my new driver, I decided I might try changing the settings to see what happened.
I bought this driver because I wanted more height and more draw than my old R7 w9degree loft.
First day with it after buying I set it at C1 because the chart said it would be the highest launching and promote the most draw - played a lot of rounds and even a couple tournaments - never really in control with it but managing....
when I looked at the little chart again today I was gonna move it more toward neutral and noticed it said for LEFT HANDED PLAYERS!!!!
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:
Well guess what there are TWO charts in that little book...
Switched to D3 (I think) and bam big drives slight fade down the middle over and over...
So in a way I am really upset but in another way I am stoked and excited and can't wait to play again on Sat. morning..

Epic FAIL, bro! The good news though is that it's like having a new driver!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I just put a Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.1 X in my 910D2 (Switched from my stock Diamana Ahina S). So far at the range, I have loved what I have seen. The shaft is so smooth. I was a little worried about stepping up to an X flex, but so far, I really don't feel much difference, other than it holds up in my transition down much better than my Ahina felt like. I have my 910 set at B3 right now (8.5 playing at 10.0) and from what I have in the few times I have had it out, I am basically getting the same trajectory as my Ahina, set at the stock A1 setting. But, I am getting a nice tight fade, that I never got with the Ahina. And distance seems about the same. Can't wait to get it to the course and see how I do.

Should I change my club 910d2 driver head from 10.5 to 9.5?

Should I change my club 910d2 driver head from 10.5 to 9.5?

Hi all,
I've been playing golf for 6 months now. When I bought my driver I needed 10.5* loft to get a good launch in the air but now having worked on my swing I tend to balloon the ball. This ballooning can often turn into a fade and can get caught in the wind easily. I'm using the project x 7c3 shaft. If I chose to adjust/lower the loft it also opens the face angle which causes fade-slice. Would you recommend that I swap my 910d2 head with somebody with the equivalent in a lower loft or should I keep it and adjust my swing? My game has been good of late and I've won some local competitions but still fear the balloon shot every time I line up to drive.

It'll adjust down to 9.75 if you have 10.5 head. Try that setting and see what you get. You can also close the face if you are slicing the ball.

The problem is if I adjust it down it opens the face.

The problem is if I adjust it down it opens the face.

I believe that since the surefit hosel adjusts independently that should not be a problem.

Loft and lie are independent but not face angle and loft.

Whichever you hit better. Only way to find out is trial and error

For sure, it's just i've seen a 9.5 going cheap online. Think I'll wait and try them on a range side by side.

For sure, it's just i've seen a 9.5 going cheap online. Think I'll wait and try them on a range side by side.
Yes lowering the loft will open the face but you CAN offset that with the lie angle, just adjust it to D2 which will lower the loft but make it 1.5* more upright helping fight the fade/slice. Give that a try. This is considering you are right handed. If your a lefty just look at your chart and it should be the one that shows -.75 loft and +1.5* upright lie angle.

Back