Ping G20 Driver Review

I hear ya on the stock TFC. I'm glad I listened to TC and KMac and went with it, I'm a TFC Tour fan.

After fixing my hook problems, Jman hit ball, ball go far, Jman like.

Seriously. It's almost as awesome as a silver spork.

Ok so I received my driver yesterday with the wrong shaft. Instead of the Tour AD DI 7x it came with the TFC 169 tour. After a hassle at the shop a mutual agreement was made and I ended up just taking the driver as is to the local club fitter who has really nice Launch Monitor equipment. I started warming up and was expecting the shaft to feel really horrible as most made for shafts do. Well after about 15 swings I had seen enough. This is the most impressive made for shaft I have ever seen. I was consistently getting a 11.5 with ~2400 RPM backspin. So needless to say I saved myself 300$ and find a shaft that is about as perfect for me as I have ever seen.

If you are planning on giving this club a shot try the TFC shaft its simply amazing. I was astonished.

I love the TFC Tour, I'm pretty sure it stands for "That's F****** Crushed".

I love the TFC Tour, I'm pretty sure it stands for "That's F****** Crushed".

Its funny, because a guy I play with each week said it stands for "That's Effin Cheap". Of course his swing is struggling right now too.

Ok so I received my driver yesterday with the wrong shaft. Instead of the Tour AD DI 7x it came with the TFC 169 tour. After a hassle at the shop a mutual agreement was made and I ended up just taking the driver as is to the local club fitter who has really nice Launch Monitor equipment. I started warming up and was expecting the shaft to feel really horrible as most made for shafts do. Well after about 15 swings I had seen enough. This is the most impressive made for shaft I have ever seen. I was consistently getting a 11.5 with ~2400 RPM backspin. So needless to say I saved myself 300$ and find a shaft that is about as perfect for me as I have ever seen.

If you are planning on giving this club a shot try the TFC shaft its simply amazing. I was astonished.

Its funny, because a guy I play with each week said it stands for "That's Effin Cheap". Of course his swing is struggling right now too.

Not sure if its true or not but one of the sales guys at the NJ Golf Galaxy told me that the TFC Tour shaft was a better shaft because it was a Motore Speeder and a very good one apparently.

Not sure if its true or not but one of the sales guys at the NJ Golf Galaxy told me that the TFC Tour shaft was a better shaft because it was a Motore Speeder and a very good one apparently.

Dunno what it is but its money. I've never had a shaft give me such great LM numbers. Maybe it's just the magic combo between head/shaft.

Dunno what it is but its money. I've never had a shaft give me such great LM numbers. Maybe it's just the magic combo between head/shaft.

Those numbers are pretty damn good. When are you getting out on the course? That will be the true test if you see the same thing out there. I reshafted my G20 because of an accident and its no where near the same driver it was with the stock shaft.

Those numbers are pretty damn good. When are you getting out on the course? That will be the true test if you see the same thing out there. I reshafted my G20 because of an accident and its no where near the same driver it was with the stock shaft.

I'm supposed to play in about an hour but its retarded windy so tomorrow will probably be the first true test.

It really helped with my current swing (imagine a Happy Gilmore/Cookie/Helen Keller combo), before that I was getting ideal results with the i20/px6.0 and Classic/c.Kua S. Everything went to poop and I couldn't keep anything in the fairway, let alone with any distance, tried the g20 with various shafts...nothing.

Enter the TFC Tour, BOOM......bu-yooteefull. Different strokes (or swings) different folks.

Good stuff MG, glad its working.

It really helped with my current swing (imagine a Happy Gilmore/Cookie/Helen Keller combo), before that I was getting ideal results with the i20/px6.0 and Classic/c.Kua S. Everything went to poop and I couldn't keep anything in the fairway, let alone with any distance, tried the g20 with various shafts...nothing.

Enter the TFC Tour, BOOM......bu-yooteefull. Different strokes (or swings) different folks.

I cant imagine that. lol

Just sent my G20 in to Ping to cut down to 44.5" and keep the D3 swing weight. Will let you know how it goes.

This club has served me so well. I have a confidence on the tee that I've never had before. It is getting to the point where I choose driver even on the holes where it is tight and course management might say hit a hybrid or 3w. I stick with the driver because I know it is going straight. Just great.

This club has served me so well. I have a confidence on the tee that I've never had before. It is getting to the point where I choose driver even on the holes where it is tight and course management might say hit a hybrid or 3w. I stick with the driver because I know it is going straight. Just great.

I exhibit an inkling of confidence and the Golf Gods biotch slapped me back to reality. I got stuck behind the slowest two players in the known universe and played with two young guys who swung out of their shoes. I didn't handle those two things well and forgot how to turn my body, resulting in an arm-centric weak block. Ugly. The G20 is great but we still have to swing it.

I will safely say that for me the G20 has been stupid long. Bit seeing as I've lost ALL confidence off the tee its now time for it to earn its keep in a final showdown. Long is great, but all I need is in play with the i20's in the bag. The G20 better be up for a fight. (Somewhere Breezy is smiling).

Ping wasn't at the demo day I went to so I still haven't had a chance to see the G20's ball flight. I still badly want this club after what the sim was showing me, just need a good range session to verify the flight and everything.

One of the older guys in my foursome yesterday had the G20 in his bag...he just bought it the day before and was the first tiem he had it in action. He either hit or was near the fairway each time he pulled it which was often. He said it was the most forgiving driver he's ever hit and the extra distance he gets with it helps compensate for his slower club head speed. I miss this driver sometimes....may need to put it head to head with the RAZR Fit after the MC

Having played three rounds with this thing now I can tell you one thing...

This thing is the truth. I can't believe how amazing this head/shaft combo is. Low spin bombs, and straight as an arrow.

Having played three rounds with this thing now I can tell you one thing...

This thing is the truth. I can't believe how amazing this head/shaft combo is. Low spin bombs, and straight as an arrow.

My G20 got ML4'd today, BIG time.

Wow, that's filthy long.

I'm still trying to process it all. Its going to get another crack tomorrow, but its looking like I didn't know what I had until I changed it.

After a trip to the PGA superstore, put the G20 driver in the bag and waiting for my i20 irons to arrive.

Similar to what others have stated, the G20 Driver is LONG and STRAIGHT. In the store I was really struggling with which shaft to pick - as I was right on the border between reg and stiff shaft - I have a 90-95 swing speed. I ended up going with the TFC 169D regular as my spin was generally at or below 3000 and launch angle in the13-14 range. And the regular just seemed to have a better feel and disperson.

After playing a few rounds I have a few comments/questions. As others have mentioned, the normal ball flight tends to be straight to slight fade. With my old Burner driver I could hit more of a draw but nowhere near the consistency (or length) of this club. However, it is a bit frustrating that I cant seem to find a way to hit a draw and/or get the ball to turn over. Again I am getting great carry and overall my drives are going 250-260 which is 10-20 yards longer than before. But it just seems like I am getting very little rollout due to the higher flight and slight fade the ball sometimes takes at the end.

I am really wondering how much the shaft has to do with this and if I made the right choice. I tested reg and stiff in the stock shaft but did not try the tour shaft. I am wondering if I would see much difference with the Tour Regular (seems to have similar specs to the non-Tour stiff)?

Again, only my 2nd post on the site so appreciate all the comments and insights.

Last edited:
After a trip to the PGA superstore, put the G20 driver in the bag and waiting for my i20 irons to arrive.

Similar to what others have stated, the G20 Driver is LONG and STRAIGHT. In the store I was really struggling with which shaft to pick - as I was right on the border between reg and stiff shaft - I have a 90-95 swing speed. I ended up going with the TFC 169D regular as my spin was generally at or below 3000 and launch angle in the13-14 range. And the regular just seemed to have a better feel and disperson.

After playing a few rounds I have a few comments/questions. As others have mentioned, the normal ball flight tends to be straight to slight fade. With my old Burner driver I could hit more of a draw but nowhere near the consistency (or length) of this club. However, it is a bit frustrating that I cant seem to find a way to hit a draw and/or get the ball to turn over. Again I am getting great carry and overall my drives are going 250-260 which is 10-20 yards longer than before. But it just seems like I am getting very little rollout due to the higher flight and slight fade the ball sometimes takes at the end.

I am really wondering how much the shaft has to do with this and if I made the right choice. I tested reg and stiff in the stock shaft but did not try the tour shaft. I am wondering if I would see much difference with the Tour Regular (seems to have similar specs to the non-Tour stiff)?

Again, only my 2nd post on the site so appreciate all the comments and insights.

I think I heard Bubba Watson comment that this driver doesn't like to draw. If he has trouble making it go that way the rest of us can stop worrying about the shaft (I have the stiff shaft) and just get used to straight / draw :)

Back