Hank Haney Project on GC

When it comes to public affairs, Tiger seems really stuck up. I can understand why he would say no, and i don't blame him, but there are other things as well.

I'm watching the replay of the most recent show. Some observations:

David Feherty walks like an old man - tiny steps with a sort of waddle. Maybe his lack of a functioning liver throws off his balance or something.

TA3 always looks and sounds like he is three sheets to the wind.

I still don't understand how Barkley makes such good contact with that (new) jacked up Furyk-type looping herky-jerky swing.

Haney hasn't mentioned Tiger since the first episode, has he? But I wonder if Tiger will make an appearance in one of the final episodes?

When Feherty sees Barkley hit on the range for the first time, he looks like the dramatic hamster
dramatic.gif

if the hamster had his mouth open in shock.

Does George Lopez live in Dallas?

When it comes to public affairs, Tiger seems really stuck up. I can understand why he would say no, and i don't blame him, but there are other things as well.

I don't think he's stuck up, just has an agenda & different priorities. I applaud him for keeping his life as private as he actually can.

Watching the Haney Project, I can't beleive how good they are at pool. They both just creamed 9 ball.

My favorite line of tonight is Kenny Smith saying "Phil Jackson coached Kwame Brown". That is a classic.

Good episode tonight. Charles swing has improved greatly! Now, can he take it to the course.

I was kinda disappointed with his relapse at the course, but then when I saw the sneak peek for the next episode, I was amazed at his swing at the range! There was NO hesitation or hitch whatsoever! It looked great!

They have to have the set back to make it look even more miraculous that he gets fixed.

They have to have the set back to make it look even more miraculous that he gets fixed.

Yep, the magic of television. Or they filmed that whole course stuff before he actually started making any real progress and then edited that in.

What about his ss in the simulator? Good gosh! 117 mph

It was dissapointing to see him back at square one on the course, but wow his swing is amazing now, especially on the TNT show.

Barkley is so damn funny.

Sir C should go post those distances in the driving distance thread. No one would believe him.

Sir C should go post those distances in the driving distance thread. No one would believe him.

I wouldn't believe him. In fact, in real world conditions allow me to bet the under for anything they will take.

Many friends of mine tout launch monitor results that they never remotely threaten on the golf course. I'm normally not the cynical type. There are some posts in this thread debating the legitimacy of Charles' hitch, implying it's an act. That's bizarre, IMO. It's as real as it gets. The launch numbers are phony.

Does that look like a 296 carry swing? Seriously. Step back and look at the big picture, ignoring flashed numbers on a TV screen. At some point you have to rely on your own instincts and common sense. If someone asked you to estimate his distances, would it even approach those numbers? I call BS, world class BS. I didn't pay close attention. Maybe they set the contraption for 8000 feet altitude and teeing off from a 300 foot plateau toward a downhill target.

Anyway, the first show was excellent, plenty of specifics like clubhead angle and severely dropping his head. Barkley's facial expressions and brief comments were great, when he saw his flaws on video. Plus it was entertaining to watch his reaction to the YouTube clips of his swing. I wondered if he had seen them. I thought the entire series would be one-on-one instructions between Barkley and Haney.

Then they detoured to filler mush for two worthless episodes. It was bartenders and boxing and gimmicky camera angles, nothing of substance. They revived the show in the final 10 minutes last night, a very simple portrayal of the wildly shifting emotions, from the high of the TV swings to golf course disaster on Dr. J's course. Luckily the producers had the good sense to leave that alone and let it play out, with a handful of pointed comments from all parties.

BTW, notice how reserved Barkley is around Dr. J. That section of the show stood out to me. There was none of Charles' typical over the top attitude. He was almost shy when they shook hands. Michael Jordan and Barkley were contemporaries and competed/trash talked on equal footing, other than titles, of course. But Dr. J is an entirely different slotting, from Charles' standpoint. Charles was drafted by the Sixers when Dr. J was already an established legend for more than a decade, someone who had dominated the ABA then won a title in Philly. Dr. J was likely a hero type for Charles while growing up. You could sense the pecking order and respect, in fact almost like a big brother/little brother aspect when Dr. J playfully patted Charles on the head coming off the tee box, joking that he always said his head was too big.

BTW, notice how reserved Barkley is around Dr. J. That section of the show stood out to me. There was none of Charles' typical over the top attitude. He was almost shy when they shook hands. Michael Jordan and Barkley were contemporaries and competed/trash talked on equal footing, other than titles, of course. But Dr. J is an entirely different slotting, from Charles' standpoint. Charles was drafted by the Sixers when Dr. J was already an established legend for more than a decade, someone who had dominated the ABA then won a title in Philly. Dr. J was likely a hero type for Charles while growing up. You could sense the pecking order and respect, in fact almost like a big brother/little brother aspect when Dr. J playfully patted Charles on the head coming off the tee box, joking that he always said his head was too big.

I sensed that as well. Very good observation. I found that dynamic really interesting, and felt bad for Charles when I watched his swing meltdown again -- he seems very much interested in attaining Dr. J's approval, and I wondered if the additional pressure Charles may have felt while the Dr. was watching played a part in the reimergence of the hitch.

Interesting Article on TGC.com about Barkley's "Yips"

Interesting Article on TGC.com about Barkley's "Yips"

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/barkley-time-lay-cable-28864/

For Barkley, it’s time to lay new cable
By Dr. Rick Jensen

The Haney Project: Charles Barkley has highlighted one of golf’s most feared diseases – the yips. Barkley has turned to Tiger Woods’ instructor, Hank Haney, to find a remedy for his pause, or yip, on his downswing.

For those who have never encountered this unwanted intruder, the yips present a sudden, involuntary jerk, twitch, tremor, or hitch in a golf motion. Although the yips most often attack a player’s putting stroke, they are nondiscriminatory and will interfere with a player’s chipping, pitching and full swing motions as well, as we’ve seen with Barkley.

Although novice observers often define the yips as “choking under pressure,” the yips are not necessarily a mental problem. As Haney has said about Barkley, “It’s not in his head.” As a sport psychologist, I have to agree. Researchers have categorized the yips into two categories, Type I yips (caused by a neurological disorder called focal dystonia) and Type II yips (caused by choking). It is the psychological yips (Type II) that are mental in nature and more often get the credit for the uncontrollable movements that appear under pressure.

To remedy the psychological yips, mental techniques such as anxiety management and attention control strategies can be used to help golfers lower their heart rate and focus their attention effectively during competition.

Barkley, on the other hand, appears to be struggling with neurological yips (Type I) which, although triggered or enhanced in times of heightened anxiety, are neuromuscular (not mental) in nature. Neurological yips involve involuntary muscle contractions during a specific motor task (i.e., a golf swing), and likely result from the overuse of certain muscles while the body is in an abnormal position. In The Haney Project, Haney points out the flawed positions in Barkley’s swing (e.g., head moving down toward the ball, the club being off-plane) as reasons for why Barkley stops in the early stages of his downswing. When asked why Barkley stops, Haney says, “What would happen if he didn’t? How could he hit the ball?”

In experiences with players, both professional and amateur, who have struggled with the yips, the neurological yips are more difficult to extinguish. The process of remedying the neurological yips is analogous to fixing a broken telephone line by laying new telephone cable rather than repairing the existing one. Picture your neuromuscular system as a series of telephone cables that connect your brain to the muscles in your hands, arms, wrists, etc. Each time you command your body to hit a golf ball, your brain transmits an electrical impulse along these cables to your muscles. When the muscles receive and interpret the message, they fire, resulting in the execution of your golf swing. Now imagine if one of the cables was damaged, crimped, frayed, or worn out from overuse. As electrical impulses pass across this cable, they become distorted. The resulting interpretation of this scrambled message by the muscles would result in a neurological yip.

Often with the yips, players won’t experience any symptoms under practice conditions, but will under tournament or pressure situations. This is equated to a damaged cable having the ability to withstand a low-voltage impulse (i.e., practice), but not being able to handle the high voltage impulse of playing under pressure.

Thus, the best solution for the neurological yips: Lay new cable. The reason why many players have never conquered the yips in their games is that they’ve attempted to apply psychological solutions (e.g., relaxation strategies, breathing, preshot routines, positive thinking) to a neurological problem. In reference to his turning to hypnosis in an attempt to fix his yips, Barkley says, “No offense to the hypnotists out there, but all I got was a good nap.” To eliminate the hitch in Barkley’s golf swing, Haney understands that he must create a new neuromuscular freeway.

“What I’m trying to do is get him going down a different road, some shape of his swing that’s different,” said Haney. “On the road, it’s just a freeway. There are no stop signs; there’s nothing but open road.”

In putting, laying new cable to cure the yips has been shown to be successful by pros willing to put in the work necessary to master a new, uniquely different putting stroke. Players like Sam Snead, Bernhard Langer and Chris DiMarco abandoned their traditional putting strokes in search of a new “freeway.” Snead pioneered a croquet-style of putting, while Langer went to a long putter and DiMarco a claw grip.

For golfers, like Barkley, who have had the neurological yips invade their full swing, the road to improvement is much longer than it is for putting. The full swing yips can take touring pros completely out of contention as they did for Ian Baker-Finch, Seve Ballesteros and David Duval. Why? Laying new cable in the full swing is difficult.
With the full swing, a player has to rebuild the swing in a way that no longer relies on the previous neurological pathway (the damaged telephone cable) used in the past. This is a difficult task; this is the task that The Haney Project has embarked upon with Barkley.

Laying new cable is hard work, something that Barkley is accustomed to from his days in the NBA. When it comes to his golf game, Barkley is just as motivated. “I’m going to work as hard as I possibly can, I promise you,” he says.

In the coming weeks, we’ll see how Barkley responds when it’s time to lay new cable.

Rick Jensen, Ph.D., is a nationally recognized sport psychologist and author of Drive to the Top: 5 Timeless Business Lessons Learned from Golf’s Greatest Champions. Dr. Jensen’s clients include more than 50 touring pros on the PGA, LPGA and Champions tours. For additional information, go to www.drrickjensen.com.

Episode looks promising and man oh man, he is funny.

Watching it now. I have been waiting on this all weekend. It would be nice to have a putting green and short game area like Charles has at his house.

Enjoyed the episode. Things aren't looking so good for poor Charles. The driving range at his course looked lush. Apparently filmed around Christmas, or else Barkley keeps his decorations up a long time. Thought it was funny when Hank got so excited about Barkley shanking the ball because he shanked it differently.

I was really surprised when Charles said they had been working for 3 months, he still has such a long way to go. I really enjoy watching the show, the interaction between Barkley and Haney is fun. When you add in Barkley's buddies giving him crap, good stuff.

Last night's show didn't record for some wacky reason. !@#$%^&*(

I'll have to find it somewhere online I suppose.

GB,
I am sure they are replaying it like crazy this week.

Is anyone else not able to get to their website?

EDIT: OK, it's back again.

Back