More than 14 clubs, do you say anything?

Thanks. I may have had a few choice words when it got brought up to me though, as I thought it was ridiculous.

I am right there with you dude. A few profanities would have flown. Let me guess, you beat him, constantly? LOL.

I am right there with you dude. A few profanities would have flown. Let me guess, you beat him, constantly? LOL.
Ive played with him a few times, dont think my league partner and I have ever lost to his group. But then again, I do some serious coat-tail riding of the guy I play with.

I never would've noticed and, even if I did notice, wouldn't have said a word, money league or not. I lose faith in people more and more everyday.

that is lame, but some people are like that.

personally, i don't care either way. 14 clubs, or 24 clubs...you still have to swing them just the same.
Just stirring the pot a little here.

What if it was an extra club, but it was a left hand 7 iron? And the guy actually used it because he got stuck on the wrong side of the tree, and hit a great shot with it (Regardless, he used it). Then would it be an issue? Especially if it were for money and it cost you?

(This is not in response to the original post, just to those who say it never matters)

You said the commish knew and the guys you were playing with. Did this guy not know and just feel like being a prick? Or did he know, and still feel like being a prick? I would have told him, "Hey, this isn't the freaking Open Championship, Woosnam! Get over it!"

Total jerk to make a big deal out of this in that situation. Some people just don't get it.

Just stirring the pot a little here.

What if it was an extra club, but it was a left hand 7 iron? And the guy actually used it because he got stuck on the wrong side of the tree, and hit a great shot with it (Regardless, he used it). Then would it be an issue? Especially if it were for money and it cost you?

(This is not in response to the original post, just to those who say it never matters)

I'd tell him it was a great shot! I can't swing a darn club left handed so..more power to him.

I dont see a big deal in it. It's not like you were using them all. To me, if you're stooping low enough that you have to count other players clubs, there's something wrong with you. That being said, I'm of the opinion that there should be some slight scoring rules changes for high handicap golfers, so you're not shooting 140 because you can't hit your driver. that's for another thread though.

I dont see a big deal in it. It's not like you were using them all. To me, if you're stooping low enough that you have to count other players clubs, there's something wrong with you. That being said, I'm of the opinion that there should be some slight scoring rules changes for high handicap golfers, so you're not shooting 140 because you can't hit your driver. that's for another thread though.
Mulligans!

I used to play with a guy who had what he called a "rock club" - he wouldn't move his ball if he had a horrible lie on rocks or roots or anything so to avoid beating up his really nice irons, he would use this old 4 iron. He wouldn't change his lie or improve it, but he would use this instead. I was fine with it and thought it was a pretty good idea. He didn't cheat or move his ball or his line, but he didn't beat up his nice sticks either.

Just read your story War Eagle - I had posted before reading (sorry skimmed) I agree with you totally. That is freaking stupid. Clubs are clubs and who cares. I was just trying to make a case for carrying more than 14 hahaha.

Just read your story War Eagle - I had posted before reading (sorry skimmed) I agree with you totally. That is freaking stupid. Clubs are clubs and who cares. I was just trying to make a case for carrying more than 14 hahaha.
That's pretty interesting about a "rock" club. Never would have thought about that. Most rounds I play are casual, so the free move out of rocks and all that is usually not an issue.

I used to play with a guy who had what he called a "rock club" - he wouldn't move his ball if he had a horrible lie on rocks or roots or anything so to avoid beating up his really nice irons, he would use this old 4 iron. He wouldn't change his lie or improve it, but he would use this instead. I was fine with it and thought it was a pretty good idea. He didn't cheat or move his ball or his line, but he didn't beat up his nice sticks either.

That's pretty interesting about a "rock" club. Never would have thought about that. Most rounds I play are casual, so the free move out of rocks and all that is usually not an issue.
A buddy of moine in Scottsdale has a "desert" club, which is the same thing as a "rock" club. It's an old, heavy duty butter. He hits it left handed if he needs to get it in the air at all.

You shouldn't carry more than 14. But since you informed the committee beforehand I don't think it should have been an issue. It's not like you were sneaking around and playing two putters.

I skimmed but this is how I understand it happened. Have the committee dude talk to this guy.

Kevin

You shouldn't carry more than 14. But since you informed the committee beforehand I don't think it should have been an issue. It's not like you were sneaking around and playing two putters.

I skimmed but this is how I understand it happened. Have the committee dude talk to this guy.

Kevin

I totally agree. The fact that the guy made a big deal out of it, especially since it's not for money or anything, is a little outrageous. The dude sounds like a busy body. Props to you for volunteering to DQ yourself. If the guy who had made such a stink about the extra putter approached the situation with the same class you did, it would have never been an issue.

In a recreational golf league? Absolutely not. I couldn't even fathom making a deal out of that...

My experience is there will always be a guy like this wherever I go. So to avoid any problems I try to protect myself from them and play within the rules. I'd take the hit and ride the rat like a jockey from there on out.

LOL. Sorry, that is kind of funny, because you did everything you could to ensure it was ok. Some people. I never comment on someone's number of clubs, probably b/c I never count them. I don't even comment on the non-USGA conforming clubs, because were laid back. It's fine, so long as the rules are applied equally to all.

Sorry that happened to you.

~Rock

What a joke, if it's just for fun why all the hoopla about it?!?!

Sounds like he needs to take a deep breathe and remember it's a hobby and it supposed to be fun.

Most look at league play as "offcial" play and 14 clubs would be the limit, but as you point out, you informed your playing partners, so all others should have checked their thoughts and feelings at the first tee.

The group I bet with are reasonable enough to agree to allow a free drop from roots, rocks, etc. that would damage expensive clubs. We all agree that our golf wagers are not worth damaging infinitely more expensive golf gear.

However, if I played with people who were not as reasonable, then I would just take an unplayable lie penalty to avoid damaging my clubs.

If it's not for anything, then not sure why he cares. Seems as though he is a little more worried about everyone else as opposed to having fun and enjoying his game.

Played a round with one kid who had 16 clubs in the bag one day. We were only playing $2 for par 3's mind you, but I could care less myself.

It's why I never ever bet, because I've seen the guys who play for money, fluffing their lies, not putting their ball on the correct spot on the green, etc. But if it's for fun, who cares what anyone does?

You know Dino, too??? ;)

Worst offender I've ever seen and I'm the only one who calls him on it, the others are afraid he'll get mad. Ridiculous.

As for the OP's question, when something is intended to be just for fun, well that's the spirit which I take it in. I couldn't have cared less how many clubs you had in your bag. Commend your taking the high road.

What a joke, if it's just for fun why all the hoopla about it?!?!

Sounds like he needs to take a deep breathe and remember it's a hobby and it supposed to be fun.

Yeah... unless you have some serious game there no need to be fussing over an extra, UNUSED club

Back