TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

yeah my go to safe club off the tee has been my Ping i20 but like i said its nice to have another option there.
Sure is.

Whoa buck! That's incredible and I am salivating right now. Those are some gains! I am seriously and perhaps will put some ctapers in. It's been a long ponder but that's hard to dismiss. I hit almost the same with the 90 and would love to squeeze every ounce more out of these irons. I am blown away.

Would u say that the scoring irons are still high but much more penetrating

Whoa buck! That's incredible and I am salivating right now. Those are some gains! I am seriously and perhaps will put some ctapers in. It's been a long ponder but that's hard to dismiss. I hit almost the same with the 90 and would love to squeeze every ounce more out of these irons. I am blown away.

Would u say that the scoring irons are still high but much more penetrating

scoring irons are still a little too high IMO. but really do penetrate. my PW today was really high. i wasn't really looking for any more distance just a lower trajectory and a little more accuracy. but the distance is just a by product of the lower ball flight i guess.

Holy crap Bucks you can rocket the ball! I'm glad the new shafts really helped out!

YOUR 4 IRON is my 3 WOOD!!!!!! LOL

I took my new R11s to the range for the first time today. Purchased these to replace some 20 year old irons that treated me great. After my bucket, I'm left with two thoughts.

* These things are long. Specifically the 5,6,7. Stunningly long.
* Straight. The ball went exactly where aimed. Mis-hits remained on-line, just shorter.

I took my new R11s to the range for the first time today. Purchased these to replace some 20 year old irons that treated me great. After my bucket, I'm left with two thoughts.

* These things are long. Specifically the 5,6,7. Stunningly long.
* Straight. The ball went exactly where aimed. Mis-hits remained on-line, just shorter.

Just wait till you get some time with them!

I am in love with mine from the AW-8. The 4,5,6 are gonna take some time getting used to but I'm looking forward to putting some serious range time this week.

I love the feel off these clubs, great height on shots all well!!

I am in love with mine from the AW-8. The 4,5,6 are gonna take some time getting used to but I'm looking forward to putting some serious range time this week.

I love the feel off these clubs, great height on shots all well!!

Glad they are going to work out for you! After all that delay, they better be more than you imagined!

Just an update. Replaced my TA7 gunmetals with these irons. Handicap with my two different groups has gone down from 16 to 14 and 13 to 11. I have finished in the money the last two weeks and I am consistently shooting low 80's. I believe the reduced offset has drastically reduced my big hook, which is my miss, and turned it into a slight pull. The heavier head has helped to smooth out my swing and I am having 1 to 2 shots per round within gimmie range, which is nice. My chipping has improved greatly with the wedges in this set. I have the pw, gw, and sw. Only negative I would say is sometimes I have a hard time hitting a high ball when trying to get over trees but this is due more to my flat swing. Trajectory is a little lower than I am used to but this has definitely helped me out more often than not in our windy conditions here in Texas. Loving my R11 irons.

Just an update. Replaced my TA7 gunmetals with these irons. Handicap with my two different groups has gone down from 16 to 14 and 13 to 11. I have finished in the money the last two weeks and I am consistently shooting low 80's. I believe the reduced offset has drastically reduced my big hook, which is my miss, and turned it into a slight pull. The heavier head has helped to smooth out my swing and I am having 1 to 2 shots per round within gimmie range, which is nice. My chipping has improved greatly with the wedges in this set. I have the pw, gw, and sw. Only negative I would say is sometimes I have a hard time hitting a high ball when trying to get over trees but this is due more to my flat swing. Trajectory is a little lower than I am used to but this has definitely helped me out more often than not in our windy conditions here in Texas. Loving my R11 irons.

That's another thing I also did notice, the flight was much lower than my burners and I realy like the heavier feel and the KBS shafts.

I'm glad you like the R11 irons, I know firsthand how treacherous the high winds of Texas can get hah.

scoring irons are still a little too high IMO. but really do penetrate. my PW today was really high. i wasn't really looking for any more distance just a lower trajectory and a little more accuracy. but the distance is just a by product of the lower ball flight i guess.

Why do you want to hit the ball lower? If you're seeing good distance, a high flight seems alright.

Why do you want to hit the ball lower? If you're seeing good distance, a high flight seems alright.

Yeah even I benefited from a higher ball flight cause when I hit it with a lower trajectory I really couldn't roll it out more. I guess that's why I'm happy with my burners and I haven't changed them out yet.

cause my ball flight is to high

cause my ball flight is to high

I wanted a higher ball flight. With my burners it was about mid. I like the higher flight for a softer feel around the green. I had a few that hit and backed up that would normally roll out 5 yards.

I wanted a higher ball flight. With my burners it was about mid. I like the higher flight for a softer feel around the green. I had a few that hit and backed up that would normally roll out 5 yards.

i plug everything even used to plug my driver a lot. my ball flight was getting way to high. the C tapers got them back to a mid/high ball flight. id bet any amount of money my ball flight is still higher than most guys here even with the C tapers in there. problem was when it was windy at all it would destroy my game. ill agree high ball flight is a good thing but to high and watching your ball stop in mid air and drop isn't fun. im def not seeing them hit and run off the green, i can deal with a yard of spin or roll out. and im still watching my scoring irons almost end up right in their ball marks.

getting out today for another round so ill report back on how today is.

another round today and i must say these irons are still so great. i had a lot of really nice shots with them today. a couple really great shots off the tee with the 4 iron and stuck and spun back some shots with my 7 iron and 9 irons. so im def still getting enough spin with these. 9 iron spun back about 4 feet and the 7 iron shots maybe a foot or 2. i think earlier i was worried about these being to far and rolling off but after speaking with Golf4Life today and seeing what my shots were actually doing i believe that the new trajectory to my eyes seems like they are going long but in actuality they are all pin high when i get up there. i said a few times today oh man thats gonna be long and we'd get up there and they distance was perfect. even brett said he thinks im just not used to the new trajectory it is strange to see for sure. really stuck some really solid shots today. still pulling the ball left sometimes especially when i am trying to crush it but thats cause before i could keep the face open due to the shaft flex these shafts are closing the face which is fine just something i need to get more comfortable with. really was able to work the ball well today also. i hit some nice fades off the tee on a few doglegs. and was able to get way up and over a tree that i wasn't sure id be able to with my PW at 145 out and was pin high. nice to know i can still get them high when needed. i really think after today these shafts are a much better fit for my game. and even Brett said he thinks my ball flight is perfect right now. pretty excited about hitting these so well today and getting them more dialed in. and i feel like im finally getting my distances dialed in now that i can GPS stuff and range find them on the course so i actually have SOLID numbers instead of trying to see how far they went on the range.

Awesome update Buck, glad to hear its all working out for ya. If your spinning balls back then you still have plenty of spin thats for sure, I can see how the lower trajectory might be a little deceiving in making it look like you went long.

Awesome update Buck, glad to hear its all working out for ya. If your spinning balls back then you still have plenty of spin thats for sure, I can see how the lower trajectory might be a little deceiving in making it look like you went long.

i think at the range its even more deceiving i think thats why i was worried. on the course you can pin a flag and see if your ball is pin high or not. at the range you can THINK its at the marker but its hard to tell if you dont get up to see it. plus the ball flight is so different. but you can tell its piercing cause they look so long everytime i can't believe how fast they are getting over their targets.

i think at the range its even more deceiving i think thats why i was worried. on the course you can pin a flag and see if your ball is pin high or not. at the range you can THINK its at the marker but its hard to tell if you dont get up to see it. plus the ball flight is so different. but you can tell its piercing cause they look so long everytime i can't believe how fast they are getting over their targets.
Very true, hard to tell on the range. Glad its working man would of hated to see you give up these irons because of to high a ball flight. It should def make your rounds in the wind a lot less brutal thats for sure.

Just got back from my fitting for R11 irons. After an hour an a half we got 2deg flat, Stiff KBS90 shaft, standard length. Swing speed was about 82-84 with the 6-iron, right about on the bubble for R or S shaft, but dispersion was much better with the S shaft. Tried a few of the other shafts but the KBS was the best. Should be about 2 weeks to arrive. Can't wait.

Just got back from my fitting for R11 irons. After an hour an a half we got 2deg flat, Stiff KBS90 shaft, standard length. Swing speed was about 82-84 with the 6-iron, right about on the bubble for R or S shaft, but dispersion was much better with the S shaft. Tried a few of the other shafts but the KBS was the best. Should be about 2 weeks to arrive. Can't wait.
Congrats, you will love them!

Congrats! These are great sticks for sure. They have saved my bacon many times. The sound of a flush shot with these is addictive and hitting those shots is glorious!

Sounds like me(but between S and XStiff) but since TM wouldn't sell me XStiff I had to settle for the same KBS 90s.

As for me. Had a solid range session with the R11 irons. Hitting the ball in the center of the club and just hitting them straight. I can't tell you guys how utterly satisfying having so many shots go straight. I came from regular shafts(I played my burners for nearly 3 years) and I developed a draw/hook with them due to my swing speed so seeing the ball go straight with the stiffer shafts is just awesome to me. I just am trying to get it in my head that my 6 iron is no longer my 200 clubs due to the offset(it's now more like 190-195) so now trying to get the 5 iron to be my 200 is strange and will take some work.
I just can't get over how pretty these clubs are. From the finish to just looking down at the setup I just love the feel standing over these clubs. Just hope I can get my AW back sooner rather then later!

Congrats on the purchase, you will not be disappointed. Did you order the AW or SW as part of your set?

First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I also had KBS Shafts in my R11s and it was a great combo. I think you will love these irons. Enjoy them and let us know what you think after you take them out for a spin.

Back