How often do you 3-putt?

Just went 5 rounds without one, and had two my last round. Playing this evening so we will see....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For me there isn't anyplace I can practice putting except at the course and a few minutes on the putting green isn't going to help much. And putting in the house hitting the same shot over and over won't help much either. I live in an old farmhouse and the floor isn't straight so I'd never be able to practice hitting it straight.

But the biggest thing is that I'm just not getting very close to the pin with my approach shots yet so as long as it's a fairly flat green, no problem, but if there is a lot of break I just can't judge those well yet.
I would disagree here. I spend the winter putting on my uneven carpet, and while it doesn't do much (for me) with aim, it's great for practising a repeatable stroke. Once I get out onto the course in the spring I can worry about aim and green speed without worrying about my rhythm. This spring especially I noticed a huge improvement in my stroke. Next winter I'm considering a skiball type construction so I can hit the ball a little harder.

Almost never. I honestly cant remember the last time I had a 3-putt. I know some of you probably hate me now...

Really? Then you must be playing on some easy greens up there in OH. We have some rolling here at about 12 on the Stimp this summer. If you have a long, slick, downhill breaker, its almost a guaranteed 3 putt...

I will update this thread after I get back from Myrtle Beach. Those greens will probably be a little tougher than what I am used to!

I am good for 1-2 3putts per round. Sometimes it seems the "easier" a hole is, the more likely I am to do something to ruin a good score. Maybe I need to concentrate more consistently.

A couple a round for me under normal conditions. On a tough course with tiered greens that number doubles.

Looking at my stat sheet from the last couple of years, I'm at about .75/round. Knowing where (and where not) to put approach shots and knowledge of the greens on my regular courses helps the number out a bunch. If I play a course I'm unfamiliar with, that number probably goes up a bit.

On average I would say about 1-2 times per round.

Just played a round today without a 3 putt. 31 putts per 18 holes (including a 0 putt 20 footer that I putted from 10 feet on the fairway)

Part of it is that I'll quite often be just off the green which allows me to generally get it into 1 putt/super easy 2 putt range without having to add that extra putting stroke but per GIR I'm generally right around 2 putts per. I'm pretty good at getting the right distance so for the most part I don't have many second putts outside the 2-3 foot range but I also don't make very many long putts so it's a bit of a trade off

I would disagree here. I spend the winter putting on my uneven carpet, and while it doesn't do much (for me) with aim, it's great for practising a repeatable stroke. Once I get out onto the course in the spring I can worry about aim and green speed without worrying about my rhythm. This spring especially I noticed a huge improvement in my stroke. Next winter I'm considering a skiball type construction so I can hit the ball a little harder.

Yeah, you got me there. I wasn't thinking about working on my actual stroke. Silly me.

Don't 3 Putt alot but starte today with 2 3 outta back to back after GIR. Arghh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 3 putt and 2 four putts last night. Long story made short, the wheels doth flew off.

about 30-40% of the time, working on it though.

Was about 2 times a round. Now though, the SeeMore is helping to remedy all of that.

Winner. I stopped doing that last year once that thread popped up. I have gotten better with my putts ever since

I beg to differ. Never three putting is still better than your once every three rounds :p

And there we have the glaring difference between low, mid and high handicaps. I'm playing to 13, and I 3 putt around 4 times a round. Total putts don't look awful, but that's because I'm chipping a lot and get some 1 putts from that. If I 3 putted once every 2-3 rounds, my playing partners would want to check my basement for pods. That or have me take a gauntlet of drug tests.

I, too, 3 putt about 3-4 times a round. I also chip a lot because I MISS the green in reg and that reduces my total putts. It all adds up to my high handicap!!!

oobgolf says I average 2.17 putts but I think it's fudging the numbers out of sympathy.

Depends on what you call a 3-putt. I dont normally count being on the fringe as a GIR, so I dont count putts off the fringe as actual putts. That being said, I probably 3-putt once about every other round. My lag putting is much improved since I changed to a mallet putter.

If we count putting from the fringe as a putt, probably 1-2 per round. I definitely struggle judging the speed coming out of the longer grass.

I actually havent 3 putted in about 3-4 rounds but I would say that I average about 1 a round. Now saying this I am sure it will happen the first hole of the next round I play.

A good round of golf for myself would have at worst 2 3 putts and normally about 3-4 per round would be about average. Had a round at a very challenging course a week ago and i ended up with something like 41 putts in which i had like 13-14 3 putts in that round. Couldn't get a handle on the speed or the break on the greens.

Although my recent stats are very skewed because i have been putting a lot of approach shots a couple inches long onto the fringe and have had an extra "putt" on almost every hole lately.

I didn't three putt at all today. I did however two-putt all 18 greens to finish with 36 putts.

Back