Launch Monitor Distance vs. Real Distance?

jimmurphy99

Reaction score
Handicap
wondering what other golfers experience is who have used launch monitor when demoing or getting fitted for clubs...
does the distance, slice, draw etc. all correspond to the "real" experience when playing a real round of golf?
interested to hear your views...

I have found that the distance is relatively accurate for me. Direction, not always. Close enough though to give you a decent idea of what you are dealing with.

I think it might also depend on the type of launch monitor. There are several in use and I bet each one will give you different info. I have no idea which is actually the most accurate.

Launch monitors = Pretty darn spot on, IME.

Simulators = Not so much, but sometimes pretty close depending on the Sim and the settings.

Simulators = Not so much, but sometimes pretty close depending on the Sim and the settings.
^^^ This.

wondering what other golfers experience is who have used launch monitor when demoing or getting fitted for clubs...
does the distance, slice, draw etc. all correspond to the "real" experience when playing a real round of golf?

I have never and will never buy a club I can't at least hit on the range. Nothing beats seeing the true results.

I've found LMs to be fairly accurate and when I compare that to how I do with the same club at the range, its pretty spot on. The only exception was one time at PGA SS a few weeks ago where the LM said I was launching 5 woods 260. Considering I only hit a driver 230 I think the LM needed an adjustment!

I've found LMs to be fairly accurate and when I compare that to how I do with the same club at the range, its pretty spot on. The only exception was one time at PGA SS a few weeks ago where the LM said I was launching 5 woods 260. Considering I only hit a driver 230 I think the LM needed an adjustment!

Oh yeah. they would definitely jack up their monitors when hitting their clubs to make the club seem amazing so you'll buy it.

I think for the most part they are spot on. It doesn't account for external factors like wind though. There's a whole world of difference between the jacked up (I don't even know if it's a real LM) monitors at the stores and real ones true fitters use.

Oh yeah. they would definitely jack up their monitors when hitting their clubs to make the club seem amazing so you'll buy it.

I think for the most part they are spot on. It doesn't account for external factors like wind though. There's a whole world of difference between the jacked up (I don't even know if it's a real LM) monitors at the stores and real ones true fitters use.

Well to honest does it say more about the store or the person buying a 3 wood that goes 30 yards further than their driver? Sure the store may have presented some false info but the buyer is also responsible for bringing common sense to the table.

Most stores use the same launch monitors that "real" fitters use.

--
Tapatalk2

I work at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time and our launch monitor is a solid 20 yards off. It really depends on how much the monitor has been used. When the monitor is brand new its spot on but after a awhile it has to be calibrated all the time. Also it doesn't help when you get people in there slamming a driver into the sensors. We had a guy snap a brand new R11s in half by hitting our LM.

Well to honest does it say more about the store or the person buying a 3 wood that goes 30 yards further than their driver? Sure the store may have presented some false info but the buyer is also responsible for bringing common sense to the table.

--
Tapatalk2

Agreed, I actually took the 5 woods to the next monitor over and they were going 190, much more realistic for me. But if I was a gullible consumer I would have headed right to the checkout with my new 5 wood!

I work at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time and our launch monitor is a solid 20 yards off. It really depends on how much the monitor has been used. When the monitor is brand new its spot on but after a awhile it has to be calibrated all the time. Also it doesn't help when you get people in there slamming a driver into the sensors. We had a guy snap a brand new R11s in half by hitting our LM.

How does that happen???

I've found LMs to be pretty accurate with distance.

--
Tapatalk2

common sense or your same club

Always bring your own club for a comparison. If you know your driver goes 250 and your bombing it 290 at least you know a baseline for the difference

Always bring your own club for a comparison. If you know your driver goes 250 and your bombing it 290 at least you know a baseline for the difference

This is very good advice.

I always hit my current club for awhile to get a good baseline according to their LM and then hit the demo club and compare. Even if the monitor is off, it should be consistently inaccurate.

Agreed! A baseline is important. I find simulators depend on the day. I have been at Golf Town when I carry the ball further than I hit it total yards. Other days it is more realistic. Usually off by at least 10-20 yards. I have seen it off by much more though.

The Vector LM is the one I am familiar with and it can be programmed to account for humidity, wind, elevation, etc. If you know what conditions you usually play to, it can be adjusted to pretty spot on.

Thinking of getting one

I have found that there is a sizeable discrepancy and that some monitors are more accurate than others. But as long as you are consitently using the same monitor it gives you a fair reflection

Not accurate at all...

I usually try to do this as well. At worst, you get an apples to apples comparison of the two clubs, even if the LM results are off.

Simulators are hilarious.. it seems like it's more about where you aim on the screen than what you're actually doing.

Unless it measures ball speed,temp. altitude, humidity, Wind etc. because just club head speed is only part of the equation.

Sent from my DROID X2

This is very good advice.

I always hit my current club for awhile to get a good baseline according to their LM and then hit the demo club and compare. Even if the monitor is off, it should be consistently inaccurate.

+1 to this. I think a launch monitor is good for providing relative data. There's a difference between consistency and accuracy and many people confuse the two. I think launch monitors are consistent (unless someone fiddles with settings in the middle of a fitting). I don't necessarily think they're always accurate.

Back