How is Drought Affecting You?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
I realize this doesn't apply to some of you in the South East, but here in the midwest, and into south central, we are experiencing a pretty terrible drought. Without even commenting on the effect it has on my yard or crops in the area, it has taken a huge toll on my local course. Add on top of that, our local course doesn't really have money, and for some reason, they've stopped watering the tee boxes. I played yesterday, the rough has been brown and dead for a few weeks now. The fairways have now followed suit. Not just brown, but brown and completely dry. Taking a shot results in a lot of dust and nothing to put back in the divot. The course doesn't have money for grass seed, so I just hope enough grass comes back next year to fill in all the dirt spots.

How has the drought been for the rest of you?

~Rock

Our fairways, greens, and tee boxes are in fine shape due to watering, but the rough is brown and the ground underneath is cement. Takes what could be a small miss and compounds it pretty bad, not to mention the suckiness of hitting off of hardpan.

Our fairways, greens, and tee boxes are in fine shape due to watering, but the rough is brown and the ground underneath is cement. Takes what could be a small miss and compounds it pretty bad, not to mention the suckiness of hitting off of hardpan.
This is how my course is now. Most of the fairways and tee boxes are in pretty decent shape, but the rough is more sporatic and cement underneath...

Ive lucked out, my place gets the water form the Miami River (which is drying up) so its been green as usual, fairways are really plush. Not too much brown in the rough, but there are some beat up spots.

More issues have been with bad windy stroms damaging the old trees and making a mess in certain areas

haha drought... We've been in a major since 2 yrs ago... City courses and a few others have access to grey water, but everyone else has to pay extra to water... Those conditions you described tend to be semi-normal here.

Same for me. They water out fairways more than it rains in northwest Washington.

Got laid off by my job?

Lol but the golf courses around here are good actually, quite green to be honest, surprising

Mine is similar in WI, greens/tess/fw's are in good shape although hard (nothing like 40-50 yard rollouts) and rough is brown. We have had rain/tstorms the last 3 days, my lawn is now green and needs to be mowed.

It is causing me to work on my own version of a 4-wood stinger off the tee as it rolls out about as far as a driver on the concrete fairways and doesn't hook or slice as much as a driver.

haha drought... We've been in a major since 2 yrs ago... City courses and a few others have access to grey water, but everyone else has to pay extra to water... Those conditions you described tend to be semi-normal here.

I hear ya brother. Go go water restrictions. Anyone ever seen a neighborhood were you can only water from 6-8 on Sunday and if you go over your allotted amount you get charged 20 bucks a gallon? It's not exactly all green and pretty. Most of the Courses around here luckily have water wells, but I've seen several of them go dry over the last year. Man we need a change in weather patterns >.<

fortunately our home course is relatively green (fairways are 90%, rough is say, 75% green, greens are 98%), thankfully we still have SOME water to throw on it. seems like we're either hot as h*ll and dry, or monsoon rains and beyond violent storms...

Well, you'va all seen the wildfires we've had here, greens and fairways are getting heavily watered so they are in good shape, but the roughs and native grass areas are in bad shape, a fire waiting to happen

Droughts all over the SE, at least from an agriculture standpoint. My home course is still green but a cotton field a 1/2 mile past it needs some irrigation & rain or it'll be gone.

We are fortunate that right now, there is plenty of water here, and most of the courses look really good, and are in decent shape.

The ponds at our courses are just about mud puddles. The greens are holding up but fairways are showing the stress

Sent from my DROID X2

As far as our course it's been pretty good until lately, but not without watering quite a bit, the greens/fairways/tees have stayed green up until the last couple weeks. As far as my own yard it's toast, I watered quite a bit for a while hoping to help it, but I don't think there's was any help until I water daily!!

I've heard further south there were gaps in the ground ranging from 6" to a foot. Those are huge!!!

Crops are dead or dieing, even some of the pivots can't keep up.

Wildfires every where, the worst one is over 100sq miles right now, still going can't really fight it.

Our course is hard as cement in some places. Tuesday i hit a bad drive, it hit a dry spot kicked up dust and bounced another 100 yards down the fairway. Ended up pretty good.

We need rain bad, but no one wants rain because if there its lightning were gonna have more fires, all the local departments are stretched thin enough, firemen get about two hours of sleep between shifts if there lucky.

When they get it under control i expect a ton if cattle to be sold since we have no hay and most of the stuff burning is pasture. It makes the Colorado fire look like a campfire at this point, but you don't hear about it because luckily not a lot if people live out that way.

Its hell.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Most of the courses in my area are doing fairly well with green fairways, greens, and tee boxes. However, my home course only has irrigation on the greens, so the fairways are all brown, dead grass with concrete underneath and the teeboxes are the same way. I broke 3 tees on Tuesday trying to tee up a ball.

Crops are dead or dieing, even some of the pivots can't keep up.

Wildfires every where, the worst one is over 100sq miles right now, still going can't really fight it.

Our course is hard as cement in some places. Tuesday i hit a bad drive, it hit a dry spot kicked up dust and bounced another 100 yards down the fairway. Ended up pretty good.

We need rain bad, but no one wants rain because if there its lightning were gonna have more fires, all the local departments are stretched thin enough, firemen get about two hours of sleep between shifts if there lucky.

When they get it under control i expect a ton if cattle to be sold since we have no hay and most of the stuff burning is pasture. It makes the Colorado fire look like a campfire at this point, but you don't hear about it because luckily not a lot if people live out that way.

Its hell.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Where are you located?

Yeah, buy conditions at the courses are so much better this year than at this time last year.

It has eliminated my fat shots.

Where are you located?

O'neill Nebraska. The big fire us over by Valentine Nebraska. A couple of smaller ones are less then a half hour away. And a good buddy of mine had one on his land they got out Monday.
http://www.kvsh.com/

They got some pictures there. They also can't do math.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

I'm praying for Rain "Storm Free" For your area, i have a few customers in NE i work with the major Irrigation Manufacturers.

My yard looks like toast. Some of the courses around here are overwatering their greens and fairways to compensate for what seems to me like an unprecedented stretch here in St Louis. They're letting the rough go though.

As far as our course it's been pretty good until lately, but not without watering quite a bit, the greens/fairways/tees have stayed green up until the last couple weeks. As far as my own yard it's toast, I watered quite a bit for a while hoping to help it, but I don't think there's was any help until I water daily!!

I've heard further south there were gaps in the ground ranging from 6" to a foot. Those are huge!!!

Which course do you play at?

I play on a league at Pioneers GC and it has been getting beat up pretty hard as of late.

Back