Lesson or Tour Striker

achase215

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Guys,

Looking for a quick opinion I am struggling with my ball striking and am really interested in the Tour Striker. But I have never had a lesson and that is also something that I am interested in doing. I have a "decent" swing little over the top and casting from the top I still have a 102-105 SS with driver and carry my 7 iron 160 yards. What do you guys think?

I don't think the tour striker will do you any good with out lessons. There is no substitute for good golf instruction. The TS is really more for a fine tuning of sorts.

Easy answer. Lesson.

lessons much better than any practice device, not that the tour striker isnt any good, but a decent PGA pro with pick up on issues in the swing or setup within a a couple minutes. If you dont know what to practice there is little point in pounding balls, Whilst I find Dave Pelz to be rather annoying he does have a phrase I like practice makes permanent, so make sure your practice the right stuff. see a pro get a couple of lessons work on what he says then see how your game is.

best of luck -

I agree with blugold. You can't go wrong with lessons.

Just make sure you have a perfect neutral grip for that is where it starts. Paul Wilson has a excellent video on You-tube that explains it well.

You may already have a perfect grip.

Just saying.

I'm tapping, but it still ain't talking!

Thanks guys that is the way I was leaning but think I am just a piece or 2 away from dialing things in. The pro I am going to use owns a driving range here and he has given me a few pointers here and there and it helped my driving.

Agree with lessons first Tour Striker later maybe. Lessons have always helped me get over something.

Another THPer chiming in with get lessons over buying a training aid. I believe what Tadashi says is true, the TS is for fine tuning your swing, not learing how to swing.

I'll throw in another vote for lessons. There is no substitute for the advice of a trained professional. They will see or notice things you probably never would on your own, and help you improve your overall game. Go in with an open mind and it can be a game changing experience--just expect to practice what you learn a lot!

As with everybody else, nothing trumps lessons. I have a tour striker, but I'm not using it right now, because I taking lessons. When my instructor lets me use it, I will. But not until then. You can still do an over the top move and hit the tour striker. It will produce the same problems.

Yep. Get some lessons.

I think I would suggest a lesson as well. I got one a couple years back and it was amazing how much I learned in an hour! You wont regret it

Well - I will give you a counterpoint. For me, lessons have never really stuck/helped. The main reason is that I don't have enough time to practice the drills necessary to ingrain the new swing path/address stance/etc. Because of this, I personally would invest the $70 or so in the Tour Striker . I used it a couple of times and for me the immediate feedback would help me improve my swing. It might not be as useful as continuing lessons, but again I don't have the time to dedicate to that type of process.

Skim alert, did anyone suggest lessons first ?

Kidding go get some.

I went from the regular to the 7x and love the tour striker. That said I started my journey with lessons. I would recommend the 7 pro or 7x though on the TS over the basic 8 iron version.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I got my first set of lessons this year and I couldn't be happier with them. It also helps down the road when I need a fine tune to go to someone I trust.

Just wanted to update got my first lesson this afternoon I will probably start a new thread about my adventure! Thanks for the input!!!

I agree with the lesson first. I too struggled with ball-striking and purchased a TS. While it does give immediate feedback, it doesn't tell you HOW to fix the problem. I know I want ball first, divot second with forward shaft lean but if you can't figure out how to achieve that then the TS is just telling you what you already know. TS is great at reinforcing what you already know.

Back