I haven't done much paint fill the past couple of months, I have more been trying to monitor the wear that all the scrubbing/cleaning has been doing to my current paint fills I did in the spring.

I did a Vokey with White/Yellow fill, and its holding up decently. At the time I didn't fill the actual Titleist logo, and that has come back to bite me. Everything looks pristine, except for the logo that almost looks like it is having the white logo discolor. Not cool.

Also did a crown touch up with one of the Sharpie Paint pens (black) on a Nickent Hybrid that had the paint chip off at the lead edge of the crown very soon after purchasing it. Touchup went well, looked great, but...... due to the location of the touchup, quite often it is leaving huge marks on the ball after contact. Picture a 3/4" black stripe on the ball. I will chalk this one up completely to where the touchup itself is. Hard to avoid some transfer of the coloring, when 50% of the time it is part of the club contacting the ball.

I have the tour designs black putter and am a little nervous about using acetone and taking the finish off too. I really wish Mr SasquathStache would get his butt in here.hhahaa

I just used acetone to remove the lime green paintfill from the second BC-1 that I just bought. It didn't even start to touch the black finish on it. I believe it is an electro-chemical process that makes these heads black not an applied coating. I am going to do my own custom paintfill on this putter as soon as I can decide the color scheme.

I want to paint fill my putter. I started in the beginning of this thread and just got lost around page 9. Can someone just give me the basics of what I need to get and the order to do it in? From what I gather, the Testors enamel paint works the best (if someone else has a solution that would be great). I need acetone or grip solvent to clean out the existing paint before applying the new paint. What should I use to apply the paint? Is a paint marker better? Thanks guys.
To remove paint fill and clean up:
- There are few options, such as 100% acetone, nail polish remover, Strip-Tar, Paint remover, and Citristrip. I personally use Citristrip, because I have 2 boys at home, and this is the least toxic way to remove. It take bit longer, but I just apply it and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Use with q-tip, paper towel, etc to remove the old paint. May have to rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times as some paints are very stubborn.

- Paint - Any type of Enamel paint will do, which can be easily bought from hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Or you can visit your local specially toy stores and they should have it. I personally started with Testors, however, I have switched over to sharpie and Painters markers. Painters is a non-toxic, which I let my 7 year old do the paintfill, don't have to worry about spills and get to have fun. Also, I have 18 pack of sharpies of various colors give me color options. But, all above options will work. If you need translucent colors, then go with testors paints.

Any excess around the fill area, just take little bit of acetone and paper towel, gently wipe it off.

Take the old club and practice couple of times...or you can just dive in and have fun.

That's about it. Worst thing that could happen is you just start the process over and will not destroy your club!

- There are few options, such as 100% acetone, nail polish remover, Strip-Tar, Paint remover, and Citristrip. I personally use Citristrip, because I have 2 boys at home, and this is the least toxic way to remove. It take bit longer, but I just apply it and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Use with q-tip, paper towel, etc to remove the old paint. May have to rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times as some paints are very stubborn.

- Paint - Any type of Enamel paint will do, which can be easily bought from hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Or you can visit your local specially toy stores and they should have it. I personally started with Testors, however, I have switched over to sharpie and Painters markers. Painters is a non-toxic, which I let my 7 year old do the paintfill, don't have to worry about spills and get to have fun. Also, I have 18 pack of sharpies of various colors give me color options. But, all above options will work. If you need translucent colors, then go with testors paints.

Any excess around the fill area, just take little bit of acetone and paper towel, gently wipe it off.

Take the old club and practice couple of times...or you can just dive in and have fun.

That's about it. Worst thing that could happen is you just start the process over and will not destroy your club!

Thanks man!

Which sharpie pens do you use? Oil based - http://www.michaels.com/Sharpie-Oil...ml?cgid=products-craftpainting-paint&start=20

I would suggest not using acetone with a paper towel because that could very easily get on your skin. Acetone is bad for your nerves and you don't want to contact that stuff. I always use a q-tip.

Alright, the easiest headache free way to do paint fills is to use the Elmers Paint Pens-and a bit of acetone-I'll explain my methods in more detail later with a video-need someone to film me haha-but basically I've got an easy method down that everyone can use-shake the pen-apply to the area you want-wait for a bit and wipe with acetone-even the less concentrated nail polish will work-DO NOT USE HPLC OR ACS GRADE ACETONE-YOU WILL DIE. . .the "0" you find at walmart is not really as concentrated or as pure as ACS or HPLC grade Acetone-which is used for scientific experiment-hey you don't need this stuff plus it's hundreds of dollars anyways.

Use a q tip for fine detailing-removing paint in tight areas and also use the Acetone to remove old paint if necessary sometimes the underlying paint will affect the color of the top layer-paint pens can be bought at walmart for $2 each or $9 for a pack of 5

Alright, the easiest headache free way to do paint fills is to use the Elmers Paint Pens-and a bit of acetone-I'll explain my methods in more detail later with a video-need someone to film me haha-but basically I've got an easy method down that everyone can use-shake the pen-apply to the area you want-wait for a bit and wipe with acetone-even the less concentrated nail polish will work-DO NOT USE HPLC OR ACS GRADE ACETONE-YOU WILL DIE. . .the "0" you find at walmart is not really as concentrated or as pure as ACS or HPLC grade Acetone-which is used for scientific experiment-hey you don't need this stuff plus it's hundreds of dollars anyways.

Use a q tip for fine detailing-removing paint in tight areas and also use the Acetone to remove old paint if necessary sometimes the underlying paint will affect the color of the top layer-paint pens can be bought at walmart for $2 each or $9 for a pack of 5

Where do you get an Elmers paint pen? Are the sharpie oil based paint pens no good?

Where do you get an Elmers paint pen? Are the sharpie oil based paint pens no good?

I hate oil based paints with a passion. I painted my deck with that crap and I swear I could not get the paint off my skin for 10 years.

I hate oil based paints with a passion. I painted my deck with that crap and I swear I could not get the paint off my skin for 10 years.

Ok so lets say I go with the Testors enamel paint. What do I use to apply the paint?

sharpie oil pens are pretty much the same-a bit more expensive around these parts since you usually get them at arts and crafts stores instead of sprawl mart

But the elmers pens can be found in the walmart arts and crafts section

Dev if I had any extras still I'd send them to you, sorry I gave them to Bogey Russ a while back

Ok so lets say I go with the Testors enamel paint. What do I use to apply the paint?

Honestly, if you use the paint pens they are easy to remove on your hands

I would suggest not using acetone with a paper towel because that could very easily get on your skin. Acetone is bad for your nerves and you don't want to contact that stuff. I always use a q-tip.

HAHA. I have always used a paper towel. I think I have pretty chill nerves. Maybe it is the acetone. I think I might start using a glove or q-tip. HAHA

Thanks Uriel. If I use Enamel paint, what do you guys use to apply it?

HAHA. I have always used a paper towel. I think I have pretty chill nerves. Maybe it is the acetone. I think I might start using a glove or q-tip. HAHA

You do have chill nerves. I tried gloves, but didnt like it.

posting from my S3 so please excuse my spelling mistakles.

Thanks Uriel. If I use Enamel paint, what do you guys use to apply it?

For sure dude-you can always use a small brush to paint the numbers and such-the only problem with these is that you can leave brush marks or uneven amount of paint if not careful-I've noticed this takes a bit longer and is messier-but it works

For sure dude-you can always use a small brush to paint the numbers and such-the only problem with these is that you can leave brush marks or uneven amount of paint if not careful-I've noticed this takes a bit longer and is messier-but it works

JB used a dispenser of some sort in the initial post. JB if you are reading this, where did you get that and how does it work?

JB used a dispenser of some sort in the initial post. JB if you are reading this, where did you get that and how does it work?

This is what he said in the beginning of the thread

Some use a brush, others use a toothpick, and even more use other items to work with. I use a combination of things. The first thing that I have really fallen for, for these projects is a Paint Fill Bottle. You can pick them up online at stores such as Golf Works. Why do I like it? Because they are inexpensive at about $2 and dispense paint through a fine tipped needle. Paint is not included, but once you mix your color of choice, the filling part is a breeze and really makes it easy to get into those smaller engraved areas.

I agree with the brush marks showing sometimes. Also, I will paint the numbers (with enamel paint/brush) and let them sit over-night. I'll go to take the paint off with a paper towel and some acetone the next day, and the paint ends up being a little sloppy upon removal. Hopefully the residual paint from the paint pens will come off cleaner. I'll have to go pick some up today.

cool, show off your work when you are done! good luck

Hahah I am sure the first few tries will come out craptastic so maybe after a few tries I will show it off..haha

Back