Bent Rules...Scrambles tend to bring out the cheaters

Usually the scrambles I play they state basic rules at the start.

But no one follows them, a rule is usually no gimmies there are always gimmies. And no one takes a stroke for them.

That's why I don't like playing in scrambles. I played one not to long ago where the guy keeping score for our team lost track off what hole we were on, somehow, and wrote scores in for five hole before we played them.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I hear people complain about cheating in scrambles all the time, but I just find it hard to believe that FOUR players would all fudge their scores. Is most of the cheating done by inflated handicaps in order to get strokes?

You have no idea how wrong you are..

I won't lie. I like winning, who doesn't? but I will not cheat in a scramble just to win a prize. Thankfully I've never been in a team where they pencil in a score we didn't earn; otherwise I don't know how I'd handle that at alll

Yes it happens there. Sad but it takes the whole team to cheat like that.

Its not difficult th imagine though. Head over the best round I Ever Played and compare scores to handicaps. Theres guys there with a 12-18 handicap that are shooting par. Theres something wrong with that picture.

I was taught as a kid that if you lie or cheat in these situations you are only lying and cheating yourself.

I played in a scramble earlier this year that had I think 3 holes that were oddly not conducive to low scores (e.g., a par 5 where the placement of the ravine forces a 1st shot layup, which is to say there should be zero eagles on that hole) and something like 5 or 6 teams posted scores of 20 under or better. My team wasn't in contention so it didn't impact us but I am still conflicted by it. Given the demographics of the group you'd like to think there wouldn't be any cheating. But that many groups that far below par? I don't know.

I was taught as a kid that if you lie or cheat in these situations you are only lying and cheating yourself.QUOTE]

Tell that to the guys that are walking out with an extra hundred bucks from skins.:alien:

I'm entered in a scramble tomorrow and I now cheating will be in full effect for say 40%-50% of the teams, it just gets so ridiculous every year I don't even try and win I just go out and try and have fun with my buddies!!!

I have played in a TON of scrambles. As most have said I usually stick to ones that are for local charities or fundraisers. I have NEVER seen a team come in at more than -14, NEVER. Until I did.

This one time a team came in at -19. Ridiculous everyone was like WTF what a bunch of cheaters. Heck my team won an outing last year at -10, and -12 is usually a pretty good score. I just don't see why people feel the need to cheat at these things.

I cheated in a 6 man scramble last year. A good buddy of mine played that day and had never held a golf club before. His first swing off the tee he barely grazed the ball (we obviously did not use his shot). In the approach, we already had 2 balls on the green. My buddy kept swinging and missing so I teed the ball from the fairway so he could make contact. We still didn't use the shot but one of my playing partners got a little upset...

But I have never cheated in tournament in any way that would affect the score. :angel:

Flame me guys.

EDIT: Every winner from any tournament I have been has been accused of cheating. The closest to the pin gets really ridiculous.

I cheated in a 6 man scramble last year. A good buddy of mine played that day and had never held a golf club before. His first swing off the tee he barely grazed the ball (we obviously did not use his shot). In the approach, we already had 2 balls on the green. My buddy kept swinging and missing so I teed the ball from the fairway so he could make contact. We still didn't use the shot but one of my playing partners got a little upset...

But I have never cheated in tournament in any way that would affect the score. :angel:

Flame me guys.

EDIT: Every winner from any tournament I have been has been accused of cheating. The closest to the pin gets really ridiculous.
I don't think that would be considered cheating unless you ended up playing one for his shots (the 2nd ball or teed up ball). You were just trying to help him out in hitting a good shot or two. No flame for that.

I have played in a TON of scrambles. As most have said I usually stick to ones that are for local charities or fundraisers. I have NEVER seen a team come in at more than -14, NEVER. Until I did.

This one time a team came in at -19. Ridiculous everyone was like WTF what a bunch of cheaters. Heck my team won an outing last year at -10, and -12 is usually a pretty good score. I just don't see why people feel the need to cheat at these things.

My team usually does a little bit of cheating, like kicking a ball back into the fairway. But we never cheat to win, get a skin, or on longest drive or closest to the pin. The best we have ever done is -6 for the round so we are never in contention and it really doesn't matter what we do since we aren't cheating anyone else out of anything. But we also don't care if anyone else cheats. That's up to them if they want a prize that bad. We're just there to have a good time.

Oh, we did win a skin one year. Our final hole was a par 5. The guy keeping our score asked us what we had and someone told him a birdie. Thinking it was a par 4 (yes, there was much beer involved) he must have put down a 3. I still feel bad about that even though I was so drunk at the time I didn't even remember playing the hole. I was the only one from my team that stayed for the prizes so I didn't figure out what had happened until days later.

I play a few charity Tournaments during the summer and I see it alot. Groups in front of us or behind us topping the ball and hitting out of the trees but still come in with low scores. It really sucks that people need to cheat in a charity tournament. Like it has been said before usually the winner gets a foursome of golf somewhere so I'm not sure what the need for cheating is. I guess its just in some peoples nature, but oh well I just play my game and have fun sometimes we win sometimes we don't. I play for the long drives holes... LOL.. I want someone to tell me I cheat on the long drive hole!... LOL...

I play in a lot of liquor store outings and those are NOTORIOUS for cheaters! But in the end the money is always donated back to the charity that they are playing for. So it is for a good cause but come on -18 every outing by the same team seems a bit ify right?!

I much prefer 2 man scrambles where both teams are keeping both scores.

I much prefer 2 man scrambles where both teams are keeping both scores.

Yea I really enjoy 2 man best ball for this reason also...

didnt want to start a new thread on this so bumping this old one with a question.

what do you think is a believable 4 man scramble score, one with no mulligans and bogey was your friend? i played in one yesterday and the winning team claimed a 54 on a par 72 course.

didnt want to start a new thread on this so bumping this old one with a question.

what do you think is a believable 4 man scramble score, one with no mulligans and bogey was your friend? i played in one yesterday and the winning team claimed a 54 on a par 72 course.

Unless there's proof of cheating, I think it's pretty sore to be accusatory

Totally believable for a good team.

That would be a birdie of every hole. Say maybe two eagles and two pars. It could happen if they were all very good golfers, but I can see where it is hard to believe.

THPing on Tapatalk

That would be a birdie of every hole. Say maybe two eagles and two pars. It could happen if they were all very good golfers, but I can see where it is hard to believe.

THPing on Tapatalk

yea it could happen but im a skeptic and just dont buy it lol

I think it really depends on the course. If it's not a ridiculously hard course, 18 under seems very attainable to me.

I've seen 17 under a few times. You have to remember that some people take scrambles seriously and stack their team with near scratch golfers, so it's definitely doable. But as I've said before, a scramble format isn't covered under the rules of golf, so there really isn't any such thing as cheating. If you go into one expecting everyone to be completely honest, you're in for some disappointment.

the funny thing is that when one person buys one mulligan that means everyone in the group shares it for at least 6 or 7 holes.

I think it really depends on the course. If it's not a ridiculously hard course, 18 under seems very attainable to me.

yea it was a pretty easy course so i guess its more believable thinking about it that way .

Back