Golfsmith acquires MacGregor Golf

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Golfsmith acquires MacGregor Golf

MacGregor Golf’s 112-year run as an independent equipment brand came to end May 20 as it announced its sale to Austin, Texas-based retailer Golfsmith International.

Negotiations for the acquisition began in January and culminated with Golfsmith gaining intellectual property rights to the MacGregor brand throughout North and South America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand and Africa, according to Greg Norman, who held a minority stake in the company and had served as its chairman.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

With the sale, Norman told Golfweek May 20 that he is fully divested from MacGregor and stepping away from the golf equipment business – with the exception of serving as an endorser for TaylorMade Golf.

“I’m out of hard goods for the conceivable future,” Norman said. “The golf equipment industry is not conducive for mid-tier brands.”

But Golfsmith is banking on the fact that MacGregor still has life as a proprietary “house” brand for its retail chain, Internet site and catalog business.

In a statement announcing the acquisition, Martin Hanaka, chairman and CEO of Golfsmith, said: “Adding MacGregor to our mix of great brands broadens our appeal to a larger golfing audience and no doubt allows us to compete more effectively in the golf specialty retail landscape.”

The fate of MacGregor had been the subject of industry speculation for much of the year. Questions intensified as early as January when MacGregor made an 11th-hour withdrawal from the PGA Merchandise Show and offered no new products for the coming season.

There were other signs that MacGregor wouldn’t continue as an independent entity: It had sold its Asian subsidiary and liquidated inventory in recent months. Norman’s three-year deal, announced in March, that made him a member of the TaylorMade tour staff was particularly telling.

There goes another one of the originator Brands into the scrap pile :at-wits-end:

Wow...that stinks. I am still hoping that Bobby Grace will officially pop his head up out of the sand successfully.

It will be very interesting to see who remains on staff. They have one of the greatest club makers there in Don and he will probably walk away.

It'll also be interesting to see if this affects the range of clubs Golfsmith carries.

Im not sure it will impact that Claire. But they certainly will carry more Macgregor now. Similar to the way Sports Authority has Tommy Armour and a few others everywhere. And how Dicks has Hagen all over the place. Golfsmith i am sure will carry all the brands they do now though.

You really think that Don will walk, JB?

I dont, but will Golfsmith continue to pay his fairly high salary and want him to design clubs? That is the question.

Im not sure it will impact that Claire. But they certainly will carry more Macgregor now. Similar to the way Sports Authority has Tommy Armour and a few others everywhere. And how Dicks has Hagen all over the place. Golfsmith i am sure will carry all the brands they do now though.

These clubs you speak of are the bottom of the barrel.Absolute trash

I am not sure I agree with that Lefty. I know quite a few that like them for what they are. To me they are not much different than a lot of sets out there. Take the R&D that other companies use and put it in their own product.

I am not sure I agree with that Lefty. I know quite a few that like them for what they are. To me they are not much different than a lot of sets out there. Take the R&D that other companies use and put it in their own product.

Really.The metal is inferior.shafts are nothing special,graphite or steel..These sets are great for the weekend warrior or beginner.

I'd like you to find one scratch player with any of those sets in their bags if they were any good

These sets are great for the weekend warrior or beginner.

I think that is the reason you find them in the "box" style sporting goods stores. Most people I know go to golf stores like GG to buy equipment. When I bought my first set way back I shopped at the box sports stores because I wasn't looking for a high dollar set and the box sporting goods stores are good for finding affordable(okay cheap) sets and not getting the high pressure salespeople that I seem to encounter at the golf only stores.

Really.The metal is inferior.shafts are nothing special,graphite or steel..These sets are great for the weekend warrior or beginner.

I'd like you to find one scratch player with any of those sets in their bags if they were any good

That is the point. Not all clubs have to be made for scratch golfers. and lets not forget that the price point is low

That is the point. Not all clubs have to be made for scratch golfers. and lets not forget that the price point is low

I also don't see them an any 10-15 handicap bags as well.

They are what they are,nothing special.Just very basic clubs for beginners.Nothing wrong with that,they needs clubs too.

It's just I read from you that you felt they were of good quality ,Just as good as any other set on the market. I see now,that wasn't what you meant

They to me are as good quality as any bottom line sets from most manufacturers. And the fact that 10-15 handicaps dont play them means nothing. Most are playing clubs that are not right for them anyway.

They to me are as good quality as any bottom line sets from most manufacturers. And the fact that 10-15 handicaps dont play them means nothing. Most are playing clubs that are not right for them anyway.

That's so true,it's funny.. They make me chuckle when they want to play stuff that they shouldn't.

I can't count how many times I've heard "but, I hit it 300 yards on the course"

Sorry,but the launch monitor doesn't lie.

It's sad to see another previously top of the line OEM go down the tubes.
So I guess my set of Mike Souchak blades will go into the basement next to the Ram Tom Watson blades..

It's sad to see another previously top of the line OEM go down the tubes.
So I guess my set of Mike Souchak blades will go into the basement next to the Ram Tom Watson blades..

Those are still one of my favorites.

I know my buddy who played on the Hooters Tour for a year, and is a +3 handicap plays a Tommy Armour 25* hybrid, he hits it about 230. Oh and the shaft isn't inferior, the stock shaft is a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue.

Never really shopped Golfsmith before but they are having their big tent sale this weekend in Atlanta. Anyone ever been? I hope they have good deals. I will prob check it out and let you know if I finally find "my golf game" on the shelf or in a box :)

We have 2 of them near us and they have a very good selection. Let us know what you come up with.

Never really shopped Golfsmith before but they are having their big tent sale this weekend in Atlanta. Anyone ever been? I hope they have good deals. I will prob check it out and let you know if I finally find "my golf game" on the shelf or in a box :)

They are huge out here. The tent sales are usually pretty good.

Back