Verizon Wireless Goes Golfing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Avid golfers and weekend duffers alike can always know the distance to the green with GPSGolfShot, a new application available exclusively to Verizon Wireless customers. Using GPS technology, GPSGolfShot helps golfers navigate both new and familiar golf courses, giving them information to improve their games, right on their wireless phones.

GPSGolfShot provides real-time yardage readings on nearly 10,000 professionally-mapped golf courses across the United States, making club selection simple and helping to speed up play by eliminating the need to seek out distance markers or to pace off yardage. Course layouts are updated constantly and new courses are added frequently. Many golfers have their wireless phones with them when they play, and GPSGolfShot eliminates the need to carry an additional expensive range finder or other gadget.

GPSGolfShot also speaks distances with the touch of a button so it's always possible to get distance information, even in bright sunlight. The "Measure My Shot" function allows golfers to accurately measure how far drivers or irons travel, providing information on how to play the next shot.

As golf season gets into high gear, GPSGolfShot is available now on many Verizon Wireless phones, including the LG enV(R)3 and LG Versa(TM) and the Samsung SCH-u410, SCH-a870 and SCH-a930. Customers can find GPSGolfShot in the Media Center or Get It Now(R) stores under the Download This! and Sports categories.

GPSGolfShot is available for $1.99 per round or $3.99 per month for unlimited use. For those who love to golf year-round, an annual subscription is available for $34.99. Airtime, data usage and messaging fees may apply during download and use of the application.

• Admin
I cannot for the life of me figure out why they went with this software program which has been reportedly VERY BUGGY.

I was intrigued right up to where you said it's buggy. We're looking to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon in July sometime and probably getting either Env3 or Alias2 phones.

Ah well - I'll just have to drop a little bug in her ear about a GPS unit like the Bushnell/iGolf Neo.

I just switched from Verizon due to the bugginess of their software within their phones. finally had enough. I ended up getting an iPhone and thee are tons of golf GPS apps. that can be had for free that I've found very accurate and easy to use. most are free and the 'better' ones are <$20.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why they went with this software program which has been reportedly VERY BUGGY.

Because they are Verizon.

I mean, this is the company that intentionally disables features that come with the phones.

I don't know- I'd subscribe over the summer months if only my BlackBerry was on the list of compatible devices. :angry:

I just refuse to pay the incredibaly high payments of Verizon. JB and I have a family plan and our bill together with the works is cheaper then my one plan on Verizon.

I sent a text to my cousin about this app, he tried it out this afternoon. He didn't like it too much, said it only gave him the distance to front, center and back of green. No distances for hazards or layup points. FWIW

• Admin
Thanks MO...Good hands on feedback.

My opinion of Verizon is that is sucks worse than Sprint. And I HATE Sprint. Jacqui hated Verizon when she had it and I know several friends that switched from Verizon to T-Mobile because I had signal at their HOUSE when they never did.

Of course, now they are all supposedly sharing towers so this is not supposed to be as big of an issue anymore.

Around here, Verizon seems to have the best service/reception. Currently we have T-Mobile and I can sit at my desk and go from no service to 5 bars variably throughout the day. For my fiance, she has no service at all when she's at work. Friends that have the same basic model of phone with Verizon have no reception issues at all in the same locations.

Sprint in this area is horrible, and AT&T gets worse reception as well. Price-wise, Verizon is a little more for a family plan than T-Mobile but the same cost as a comparable AT&T plan for us. And since she doesn't like any of the new T-Mobile QWERTY phones that have come out but loves the Env3 & Alias2, that kinda locked up the switch. Now just waiting for the contracts to expire next month.

I use T mobile- went to Verizon had so many issues- went back to Tmobile. Never had issues with them.

Jason

Because its Verizon... I used to have them for my home phone service and had so many problems with them.
It is nice to see golf GPS applications being available on more phones than just the iPhone.

Not to mention that the app supports the old original Chocolate and the new Chocolate 3, but not my Chocolate 2. WTF?

The fact that all of our family and most of our friends use Verizon pretty much dooms us to staying with them for the foreseeable future. We do get excellent coverage here in the Richmond, VA area. But they are definitely more expensive than Sprint or T-Mobile.

I'd pay a couple bucks for front / middle / back yardages on a poorly marked course. But I'm holding out for a uPro.

Back