Possibly going to buy an ATV wedge, questions first....

CaptinStoopid

Reaction score
Handicap
Sore Back
So I was reading through some posts and also the forum testing thread about it and what I'm still a bit confused on is flop shots vs bunker shots. So if I open the club face for a bunker shot I'm assuming that it'll add bounce, but what about opening it up for a flop shot? Is there a difference in how much you have to open it for each one? Or am I going to have a ton of bounce trying to hit a flop...... :banghead:

Interesting question.

I never worry about flop shots though. They're pretty useless.

So I was reading through some posts and also the forum testing thread about it and what I'm still a bit confused on is flop shots vs bunker shots. So if I open the club face for a bunker shot I'm assuming that it'll add bounce, but what about opening it up for a flop shot? Is there a difference in how much you have to open it for each one? Or am I going to have a ton of bounce trying to hit a flop...... :banghead:

Hi welcome to THP first of all,

What opening the face does is essentially isolate a specific grind on the wedge which is a "bounce" that is ideal for that specific shot. When I performed a flop shot, I opened the face as far as it would go and hit shots that way, and I had no problems. When I'm in the sand bunker, I can get out of the sand without opening the face, or with opening it at various positions. I was lucky to be chosen to test out the ATV wedge along with 7 other Members, and I have so many reasons to love this wedge and I have been using it since july and it's still going strong.

Thanks!! I'm really dedicated to improving my short game this off season and I need some new wedges. Another thing I was wondering was that I noticed a lot of people in the testing thread game a single 56* atv, including yourself. Is there something more about that, or is it just a particular preference?

Thanks!! I'm really dedicated to improving my short game this off season and I need some new wedges. Another thing I was wondering was that I noticed a lot of people in the testing thread game a single 56* atv, including yourself. Is there something more about that, or is it just a particular preference?

basically before I got the ATV, I was playing a 52 and 58 xFT, when I got the ATV, I tested it as my single wedge (lob/sand wedge). I originally was playing this way because I wanted to test the versatility of the ATV wedge and to see if Taylormade's claim that one can do all the major shots with one wedge (chip, pitch, flop, rough, sand and tight lies) and so eventually I saw how versatile this wedge was and even though I threw the lob wedge into my bag, I never found a use for it so I stayed with the single ATV

Thanks for the help!! I definitely need to go demo one and from what I've heard i'll most likely be picking one up.

Over the past year I tried a multitude of wedges.(Cleveland 588, TM xFT, Nike VR) Being lefty it is not always easy to test things before buying them. I took a chance on these after reading all the rave reviews. I now game a 52 degree and 56 degree ATV and absolutely love them. Never had a wedge so easy to hit from everything from tight lies in the fairway to the sand. It's unreal how easy these are to hit.

Thanks for the help!! I definitely need to go demo one and from what I've heard i'll most likely be picking one up.

If you haven't determined which wedge to get first or if you can only get one wedge now, I would suggest trying out the 56 and run with it for a while, you may find that you like what you see. From there you can decide how to build the rest of your wedge set.

Over the past year I tried a multitude of wedges.(Cleveland 588, TM xFT, Nike VR) Being lefty it is not always easy to test things before buying them. I took a chance on these after reading all the rave reviews. I now game a 52 degree and 56 degree ATV and absolutely love them. Never had a wedge so easy to hit from everything from tight lies in the fairway to the sand. It's unreal how easy these are to hit.

Dev's story is really cool-weren't you skeptical of the ATV's at first?

Almost forgot, how does the shaft hold up on full shots? I read that a few people seem to dislike the stock shaft on full shots but I usually swing 80% for my irons and wedges.

Yeah, I was skeptical at first just because of all the trouble I have been having. As for the stock shaft, I havent had any problems to date but admittedly dont take many full swings with my wedges.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Almost forgot, how does the shaft hold up on full shots? I read that a few people seem to dislike the stock shaft on full shots but I usually swing 80% for my irons and wedges.

there were a couple of guys-one already had an amateur status and was a great scratch golfer, the other was a scratch golfer as well. So what happened was that they needed a different shaft that wasn't too weak for them. The KBS tour shafts are pretty stout, and they can handle most swings, just that IHWT swung his driver like 120 and he used some legit shafts lol. The issue some of us had was that it was a bit awkward to hit the wedge on full shots sometimes but with some time and work it was quite enjoyable and I hit some great approach shots with that thing

Last edited:
I love my ATVs and love the shaft I hott 60 right at 100 so I take a full swing it when needed

Satch I love you video's.

I'm also a stiff flex so this is very reassuring to me, thank you.

i play stiff in everything matter of fact i just bought an xstiff from one of the guys on here to give that a shot and see if itll help me control the driver a bit more

i played vokeys for yrs before i got these and i can spin these more the control is a lot better the feel is not bad at all and out of the buncker should be made illegal its so easy

Satch I love you video's.

Thanks scrap iron, I appreciate it!

Tapping & autocorrecting

"Life is short, Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse."
-Stanley Hudson

You should be fine with the stock shaft. I suppose some folks like to flight there wedge shots down with a heavier shaft etc. I had no problems with any kind of shot that my skill level could produce with the stock flex.

Back