RTJ-Schoolmaster in Florence, AL

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Tee'ed it up with 5 others at the RTJ Schoolmaster course today.
It was a scorcher at 95* with a Heat Index of 105*
It was a B1G1F for Fathers Day with some coupon i never heard of.
Girls came around with refreshments and free ice clothes for your neck/face...

Course kicked my butt...Shot a 48-45-93. I am sure the heat had a lot to do with it as sweat dripping on your grip is a little distracting. Mediocre shots led to poor shots, led to bad shots which led to bad tempers... It was very hard to concentrate in that heat...I tripled holes 8 and 9 and I thought I had lost it.. ...then the cart girl showed up with an ice towel and I got renewed....

Here are some pics of the day..
IMG_7061_DCE.jpg

IMG_7068_DCE.jpg

IMG_7069_DCE.jpg

IMG_7070_DCE.jpg

IMG_7071_DCE.jpg

IMG_7072_DCE.jpg

IMG_7073_DCE.jpg

IMG_7074_DCE.jpg

IMG_7075_DCE.jpg

IMG_7076_DCE.jpg

IMG_7077_DCE.jpg

and some more pics...

IMG_7078_DCE.jpg

IMG_7083_DCE.jpg

IMG_7086_DCE.jpg

IMG_7087_DCE.jpg

IMG_7088_DCE.jpg

IMG_7090_DCE.jpg

IMG_7091_DCE.jpg

IMG_7092_DCE.jpg

IMG_7093_DCE.jpg

IMG_7094_DCE.jpg

Great pics, glad it was fun.

Some of those photos look deceptively simple. Nice to "see" you.

Thanks for the pics bama! Great job!

This looks like a fun hole.

Is that the clubhouse? If so, that might be one of the better after round stogie porches.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

To me that is the best hole...Simply gorgeous...Only 368 yards from the Orange, but you hav to be very careful with your drive...I hit a 3W into the hill on the left and had it roll down almost on to the fairway. About 150 out. Pin was tucked front right. i took out a 7I and using the hill to help a draw(LH) I proceeded to hit a draw/blade abouit 20 ft off the ground. I hit the huge 8ft fan at the back of the green, and landed on the fringe. Up and down for par..Textbook.......for me :bashful:

IMG_7088_1.jpg

What's the best airport to fly into to get to the courses on the trail that are not so expensive?

Great photos Bama. I like that second picture in the first post -- pretty hole:

IMG_7068_DCE.jpg

[Edit: I assume that's a par 4? If so, I love holes like that -- i.e., where how close you want to put your approach depends on how much water you want to take on.]

Sorry about the heat. That definitely makes it tough to keep your cool (pun intended), especially with the humidity. That said, I'll trade you one of your 105 heat-index adjusted blue-sky days for my thunder/lightning/deluge on Saturday!! I had to stop hitting driver on the last four holes we played (we only got in 16 because the lightning finally started to raise our hair a bit :D) because the grips were so wet the thing kept slipping out of the fingers of my trailing hand (left for you and me) and into my palm at the top of the backswing. Grrr. :bad:

What's the best airport to fly into to get to the courses on the trail that are not so expensive?

It all depends on what course you are trying to get to.

For Huntsville or Muscle Shoals - Huntsville
For Birmingham or Anniston - Birmingham
For Prattville, Auburn, or Greenville - Montgomery
For Mobile - Mobile
For Dothan - Dothan (but the other courses are better IMO)

Here is a travel guide from their website http://www.rtjgolf.com/reservations/RTJTravelPack.pdf

Driving from the Huntsville to Birmingham areas, or the Birmingham to Montgomery areas each take around or less than 2 hours...so it is possible to combine some of these into one trip. Mobile is 3 hours from Montgomery, so it's a bit further.

Most of the courses other than Prattville and Ross Bridge all cost the same. Those two locations are more.

Great looking course. I think I've just added a couple more courses to the want to play list.

That is a great looking course Bama. I live south of Huntsville (about 45 minutes) here is a link to a course about 15 minutes from me. This course is about mid way between Birmingham and Huntsville.

Alabama Golf - Limestone Springs Golf Club

Halk - I've played Limestone Springs...it is very nice too, a bit remote (in the who the &^$$ thought to build a course out here mode), but very nice. My inlaws live in Cullman (which has to be at least near where you live), so I've played most the ones in your area.

Halk - I've played Limestone Springs...it is very nice too, a bit remote (in the who the &^$$ thought to build a course out here mode), but very nice. My inlaws live in Cullman (which has to be at least near where you live), so I've played most the ones in your area.

I'm not to far away from Cullman. Cullman Golf Course is my home course, Limestone is quit remote to say the least LOL. Have you ever played the State Park course at Guntersville? They are rebuilding the course and it is shut down wish they had done the rebuild when they rebuilt the lodge. O'well leave it up to the State Government to mess things up.

Great photos Bama. I like that second picture in the first post -- pretty hole:

IMG_7068_DCE.jpg

[Edit: I assume that's a par 4? If so, I love holes like that -- i.e., where how close you want to put your approach depends on how much water you want to take on.]

Sorry about the heat. That definitely makes it tough to keep your cool (pun intended), especially with the humidity. That said, I'll trade you one of your 105 heat-index adjusted blue-sky days for my thunder/lightning/deluge on Saturday!! I had to stop hitting driver on the last four holes we played (we only got in 16 because the lightning finally started to raise our hair a bit :D) because the grips were so wet the thing kept slipping out of the fingers of my trailing hand (left for you and me) and into my palm at the top of the backswing. Grrr. :bad:

That was about a 185 yard Par3..Deceiving pic....

I'm not to far away from Cullman. Cullman Golf Course is my home course, Limestone is quit remote to say the least LOL. Have you ever played the State Park course at Guntersville? They are rebuilding the course and it is shut down wish they had done the rebuild when they rebuilt the lodge. O'well leave it up to the State Government to mess things up.

So..Halk and AdW...When are we going to tee it up???
I have been wanting to try Limestone Springs although I got a report yesterday that it was not in the greatest of shape....Gimme a few days heads up and I will be there....

So..Halk and AdW...When are we going to tee it up???
I have been wanting to try Limestone Springs although I got a report yesterday that it was not in the greatest of shape....Gimme a few days heads up and I will be there....

Anytime. Have you played the course down on South Parkway where the airport use to be, looks like a nice course.

Anytime. Have you played the course down on South Parkway where the airport use to be, looks like a nice course.

Play it all the time...Used to be the Huntsville Muni Course..
Now it is the Becky Piecre Memorial Course..
Nice for a City Muni and right out the gate of the Arsenal from where I work....

Back