Jump on it, or lay off?

Club up choke down believe in your schwing.

The majority of the time it depends on the situation at hand. As in short or long, where do you NOT want to be? If long is bad, I'll take the shorter club and jump on it knowing that even if it is hit perfect I won't get myself into trouble. If short is bad, I'll lay off the longer club so I'm sure to clear what I need with no worries.

If the situation is normal and short or long doesn't really matter it will depend on what feels more comfortable, how I'm playing, what's been working better that day, etc. Wind speed and elevation change are other things that can come into play. There are many times that come up where I'd rather choke down and hit a 3/4 7-iron than hit a stock 8-iron. For me choking down a bit and using a 3/4 swing gives me the equivalent distance, but it allows me to give it a normal swing speed rather than having to back off. This works especially well out of the rough. It is much easier to choke down so you can take a more aggressive move at the ball to get it out.

I try not to vary my swing speed too much so I play around with choking down and abbreviated backswings so I can go through the ball at around the same pace if possible.

I swing easy with the higher club. At my skill level, playing from in front of the green is always better than behind the green

I favor Option C: go with more club but choke down a bit.

Most of the time I will take the next club up and choke up an inch or so, then swing normally. If there is trouble long I will occasionally take the shorter club and swing a little harder.

Agreed. Just choke up and swing normally.

I almost always club up and choke down a bit, take a shorter swing, etc. However, if I'm feeling really good that day, I may step on it if it's a shorter club (like, no more than a 7 iron).

Lay off. Its always easier to take a little extra club, grip down on it an inch or 2 and take an easy swing. Trying to muscle one up there seldom works out well for me. When I do, it usually ends up being a pull hook.

I'd rather swing hard. Swinging soft isn't something I normally do with anything outside of 100 yards, so I tend to get out of rhythm and bad things happen.

same here - I have much higher frequency of chunking it if I take off a longer club

I'm in the camp that likes to jump on it with a shorter club. I find that it helps me focus more because I know I have to make clean contact to get it there.

If I lay off of it, I usually fan it out to the left or chunk it.

For me, jumping on a club is easier. first off, 9 times out of 10, I'd rather know what I'm getting into by leaving it short than being long, and all of a sudden have a 50 yard uphill "chip" to deal with. Secondly, when I swing, it's typically only at 50-60% of my possible, so jumping on a club is not really over-doing it, but just going more towards a stronger swing.

Dan

It really depends on how wide the gap is between distances. If there is no trouble and the club in hand will still get me on the green, ill swing hard and take what I am given. If the conditions call for a smooth increase with trouble to carry then I am clubbing up, choking down and taking a normal swing.

This. And if I'm going to step on it, I'm aiming more right knowing that I'm going to hit more of a draw, and probably a touch of pull with it as well. To me its all situational.

Like many have said, where is the junk? That will drive the shot preference, and wind also plays a role in it too. Normally I will club up choke it down a tad.

I am the choke down and smooth the longer club rather than try to step on the shorter club...that usually ends in a bladed or skulled shot or a dead pull hook

For me it also depends on where the flag is. My ususal for the most part is step on it.

I like to take the longer club, but jump on a 1/2 or 3/4 swing. Connected and aggressive right at the target. Easier to control the trajectory.

Kevin

For a front pin, I'll take the longer club and try to hit a little cut. On the back, I'll try to draw the shorter club. That's what I TRY to do. What I usually ACTUALLY do is over-think it and either skull it or hit it about six inches fat so it doesn't really matter what club it was. :banghead:

For a front pin, I'll take the longer club and try to hit a little cut. On the back, I'll try to draw the shorter club. That's what I TRY to do. What I usually ACTUALLY do is over-think it and either skull it or hit it about six inches fat so it doesn't really matter what club it was. :banghead:

I feel your pain!

For me it depends on the length of the shot, 7 iron through gap wedge jump on it, anything else club up and swing easy.

For me it depends on the length of the shot, 7 iron through gap wedge jump on it, anything else club up and swing easy.

I do this......but if its a fw into a par 5 or even a long iron shot after a poor tee shot, I will just lay up.

Towards the end of the year it really depending on the wind for me. If it was on my face obviously club up if it was behind me jump on it and if there wasn't really any wind I chose to club up as well.

I will always take the shorter club and give 'er. My swing seems to respond better when I get after it. The course I play most being long is simply never an option either.

same here... I just can't seem to lay off!

I like to jump on it personally. But it also depends on the situation

It really depends on where I am between clubs.

I have a pretty consistent 10 yard gaps between my clubs so if it's something like 134 yards I'll take my 130 club and jump on it but if it's like 137 I'll take my 140 and swing easy

Most of the time I will take the next club up and choke up an inch or so, then swing normally. If there is trouble long I will occasionally take the shorter club and swing a little harder.

This is my preferred method.

Back