Cleveland 588 RTX CB Wedges Review - Forum Testing

The cavity back design of this wedge would seem to provide more forgiveness than many of the current wedges on the market that have a "blade" type of design. So here are a couple of questions for the testers: When comparing this wedge to your other wedges, do you find that they are more forgiving, and if so, do you see that difference more on full shots or short shots (chips/pitches/etc)? I'm curious about this because while the face technology is appealing, the design of the wedge overall intrigues me more as I've never played a cavity back wedge.

The cavity back design of this wedge would seem to provide more forgiveness than many of the current wedges on the market that have a "blade" type of design. So here are a couple of questions for the testers: When comparing this wedge to your other wedges, do you find that they are more forgiving, and if so, do you see that difference more on full shots or short shots (chips/pitches/etc)? I'm curious about this because while the face technology is appealing, the design of the wedge overall intrigues me more as I've never played a cavity back wedge.

Great question and also thinking along the same lines as I when I got this. Bear in mind I have only had one session with it so far...

Short shots: I did not see more forgiveness in this as compared to my J40's. I still actually have more confidence in the J40's on the touch shots but hoping to see that change some with time and practice.
Longer shots: I have not hit any yet but this is where I expect to see this shine. I have no issues with the J40's typically on 1/2 or 3/4 shots but tend to start struggling on the full shots from 75-105 yards so I don't hit them too often. I am hoping to see the forgiveness in the CB design give me the forgiveness needed that I can attempt full shots from 80-85 yards without the fear of digging or thinning.

Plan right now is for 18 both Sunday and Monday so hoping to get some "real scenario" feedback.

Ary I'm looking forward to finding out these answers as well. I'm sure I might see a little difference on full shots but not nearly as much on the short game shots. Time will tell.

I've never hit the 588's, neither back in the day nor the newer versions. I am interested to hear what the rage is all about. I know people loved them before but I just never had the opportunity to hit them.

We were not given a choice for this testing. FWIW, I would have went with the black/dark pearl anyways.
I would have gone black as well, the glare reduction is a must!!!
I think I'm gonna go buy a 52.

TT on iPad
I think I'm going to do the same thing to finish out the set to a 52/56/60

absolutely

I would have gone black as well, the glare reduction is a must!!!

I think I'm going to do the same thing to finish out the set to a 52/56/60

It has been very interesting reading this thread. Thanks guys for all the pictures and info. The pics are really great showing the milling on the face!! I even noticed the milling on the leading edge. The Black Pearl is such a great looking club. I would also go for that, given a choice.

Seemoreguy, I'm interested in the difference in spin with your J40 with spinner shafts compared to the RTX. And for any other testers, does any have spinner shafts on their present wedges? How do they compare? Anyone with Jaws wedges?

It has been very interesting reading this thread. Thanks guys for all the pictures and info. The pics are really great showing the milling on the face!! I even noticed the milling on the leading edge. The Black Pearl is such a great looking club. I would also go for that, given a choice.

Seemoreguy, I'm interested in the difference in spin with your J40 with spinner shafts compared to the RTX. And for any other testers, does any have spinner shafts on their present wedges? How do they compare? Anyone with Jaws wedges?

I have DG Spinners in my J40's but since I have only practiced with the RTX around the greens, I can't comment yet. Should have more to say after 2 rounds over the long holiday weekend.

I have spinners in my old TM wedges. I have KBS Tour Shafts in my J40 wedges.

Looking forward to adding my thoughts in here as well. Should have it on the course this weekend.

No clue what's going to be offered to Cleveland Staffers, but this one so far as at the top of my list if available. Beautiful look, nice weight to it, and the results that people are seeing so far have me dying to get it in play.

I went with the 54*, as I currently play a 50/55/60 setup, but in trying to decide how I want to work with my bag I am either going to go to a 50/54/58 or just a two wedge setup of 50/56.

This is my issue too looking forward. I am looking forward to reading up on this testing in case I am chosen to play for Cleveland. I will probably go with just the two wedges, thinking 54 and 60, but not sure yet. I just found that I didn't use the 51 nearly as much as I thought I would. I was just choking down on my PW most of the time.

Looking forward to adding my thoughts in here as well. Should have it on the course this weekend.

No clue what's going to be offered to Cleveland Staffers, but this one so far as at the top of my list if available. Beautiful look, nice weight to it, and the results that people are seeing so far have me dying to get it in play.

I went with the 54*, as I currently play a 50/55/60 setup, but in trying to decide how I want to work with my bag I am either going to go to a 50/54/58 or just a two wedge setup of 50/56.

Im a big fan of the 50*-54*-58* set up. Its always worked well for me in the past. Did they have any other bounce options or all 14*?

Im a big fan of the 50*-54*-58* set up. Its always worked well for me in the past. Did they have any other bounce options or all 14*?

I've become a fan of that combo in the last year. It's going to be interesting going back to a 56. Not sure if it will have any real effect or not.

I've become a fan of that combo in the last year. It's going to be interesting going back to a 56. Not sure if it will have any real effect or not.

I got away from it lately because of either testing or set makeup. So Ive had the 56* in the bag as my last wedge for a while now. At times Ive missed the 58* or 60* but for the most part it keeps me out of trouble and getting cute.

This is my issue too looking forward. I am looking forward to reading up on this testing in case I am chosen to play for Cleveland. I will probably go with just the two wedges, thinking 54 and 60, but not sure yet. I just found that I didn't use the 51 nearly as much as I thought I would. I was just choking down on my PW most of the time.

Your thinking is similar to mine regarding the use of a 50, 51, or 52. With that said, I think we may see that with the turf interaction and forgiveness that these offer that the 52 may be able to be dialed into a consistent 105 yard club for example. I was not able to get that out of the J40's and would choke down on the PW instead but the CB in this design has me thinking about what could possibly be.

I have spinners on my J40s. I like them, as they're the first wedge flex I played in a while. I'm also interested to see how these compare. I'm playing this weekend so we'll see.

I got away from it lately because of either testing or set makeup. So Ive had the 56* in the bag as my last wedge for a while now. At times Ive missed the 58* or 60* but for the most part it keeps me out of trouble and getting cute.

Same for me. Haven't missed the 60˚ much since the change. It should be interesting to get it back in the bag though.

On another note, I have trade bait in the truck and am going to head down to GS in a few to see if I can't acquire one of these in a 50˚. Might as well go all in on this testing!

I have spinners on my J40s. I like them, as they're the first wedge flex I played in a while. I'm also interested to see how these compare. I'm playing this weekend so we'll see.

Same for me. Haven't missed the 60˚ much since the change. It should be interesting to get it back in the bag though.

On another note, I have trade bait in the truck and am going to head down to GS in a few to see if I can't acquire one of these in a 50˚. Might as well go all in on this testing!

I like it. If I like this wedge enough I may do the same thing. I might go with a 52* though.

I'm def getting a 52. These wedges are perfect in so many ways. I only have one dislike about them.

I'm def getting a 52. These wedges are perfect in so many ways. I only have one dislike about them.

And that dislike is? Curious, as I am pondering these.

Crazy out of control spin??!?

And GS here hasn't gotten them in yet... Damn. :at-wits-end: Good news is I now have a nice size store credit to play with.

Kmac, these are two dot only. So yeah, 54/12 is it.

I want to get my Rotex on. The just look SO good.

These are difficult off of tight lies if you need to open the face IMO. These hit the ball a touch higher than my other wedges though so once I get the 60 I won't need to.

I'm used to opening the face a lot though so that's probably a technique that conflicts the design.

I also caught the full swings fat today. But that'll be easy enough to deal with in time.

Back