Wildcat Golf Course - Houston, Texas : The Highlands Course

TripleBogieTim

Long lost sheep
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
On a beautiful early November morning I had the opportunity to play some great golf with 2 great THPer's 2 Shoes (Brian) and Jank1434 (Jacob). I know you guys in the north are getting snow and cold, but here in Southeast Texas, it was a perfect fall day...temperatures in the 70's at 8:10 am for our tee time and to really make you jealous we were all wearing shorts!

Wildcat Golf Course opened in 2001 and is the ultimate recycling project, once a very prosperous Texas Oil Field and later converted to a city landfill. Wilcat Golf Course was a reclamation project that took almost 6 years to complete, even though the dump closed more than 20 years before construction began, a 10 foot layer of industrial trash had to be dug out and hauled away...to make up for that they brought in more than 2 million cubic yards of dirt and began to shape something not often seen in this part of Texas.....a hilly terrain that offers elevation changes up to 100 feet in several areas.

There are 2 courses on the property, The Highlands which is a cross between links style golf and a Texas Hill Country course and The Lakes Course which doesn't feature as many elevation changes but lives up to it's name by providing water on over 70% of the holes. There is also a first class practice facility which features 2 different driving ranges, a large short game area including a chipping green, practice bunker and 4 different putting greens.

Today our 3-some of THPer's took on the Highlands course, with all the elevation changes the 25+MPH winds made the course more difficult thn normal, but the great company more than made up for it. The Highlands Course Features 5 sets of tee boxes making it perfect for just about any skill level. Our group played the Blue Tees today which are right around 6100 yards. Here is a quick look at the scorecard for the Highlands Course.
wildcatscorecard-1.jpg

The course features Bermuda fairways and rough and plenty of wild "natural grasses" that will cost you a ball and a penalty stroke should you decide you want to tempt fate, if you don't believe me just ask 2 Shoes, he donated a few balls to those areas today...hehe

The greens are Tiff Eagle Bermuda and are fast, smooth and feature some pretty tough to read the subtle breaks. One of the few downfalls I can find with this course are the bunkers, which are more of a red clay and sand mix and can be very tough to get a club through.

One of the best features of this course are the views of nearby Reliant Stadium with the Astrodome right next door and the Houston Skyline from all the different elevation changes. There are also old rusty pump jacks, pumping stations and storage tanks left over from it's glory days as a working oil field scattered here and there that add character to the course in my opinion. There are plenty of forced carry shots over ravines and quite a few blind shots which also add to the challenge of The Highlands Course.

At a pretty reasonable rate of $63.75 which includes cart and rangeballs, Wildcat Golf Club was a very enjoyable experience, the course offered a decent challenge without being too difficult and I plan on making another trip there to play The Lakes course in the very near future.

I couldn't get photos of all the holes because of pace of play, but here are several photos taken during the round featuring some of the great views of the Houston Skyline.

View from the one of the tee boxes looking back towards Reliant Stadium
001.jpg

Same tee box without the zoom
002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

View from the tee box with a forced carry over a huge ravine
007.jpg

008.jpg

The Houston Skyline with Reliant Stadium and The Astrodome
009.jpg

Jank1434 teeing off
010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

We were also treated to a Demo Day after the round featuring Cobra, Ping, Taylormade, Titeliest and Callaway
018.jpg

Unfortunately none of the OEM's had any of their new stuff on hand to hit, but we still managed to take quite a few swings....here's a hint...don't be suprised if 2 Shoes is dressing like Ricky pretty soon....he really liked the Cobra stuff.

All together, great weather, great facilities, and some awesome golf with 2 great THPers...Thanks to Brian and Jacob for fantastic day!

Last edited:
Wow nice course, great review! Lucked out with the Demo Day too

I don't know that I'll dress like Rickie, but I do believe I'll be hittin' me some Cobra clubs come February.

Since you donated comments about me donating golf balls, ill refrain from PMing you to tell you that's a picture of the other courses score card, not the Highlands course. Ha ha!

First off, if you ever have a chance to play with Jacob, he's a great young man and pretty damn good golfer as well. Plus, he had to put up with me and TBT all day.

I really liked Wildcat. I played there last year, Tim wouldn't know that because he overslept that morning. :D I was disappointed the OEMs at the demo day had zero new stuff. Tim and I asked the Cobra rep about the AMP Cell irons and he dang near had us arrested. I love the look on his face after he said quote "No one in the universe has those clubs yet" and Tim responded with "oh, I've hit them already". Love you THP.

I don't know that I'll dress like Rickie, but I do believe I'll be hittin' me some Cobra clubs come February.

Since you donated comments about me donating golf balls, ill refrain from PMing you to tell you that's a picture of the other courses score card, not the Highlands course. Ha ha!

First off, if you ever have a chance to play with Jacob, he's a great young man and pretty damn good golfer as well. Plus, he had to put up with me and TBT all day.

I really liked Wildcat. I played there last year, Tim wouldn't know that because he overslept that morning. :D I was disappointed the OEMs at the demo day had zero new stuff. Tim and I asked the Cobra rep about the AMP Cell irons and he dang near had us arrested. I love the look on his face after he said quote "No one in the universe has those clubs yet" and Tim responded with "oh, I've hit them already". Love you THP.

Lmao....cant believe I put the wrong scorecard on there.....it's fixed now

yeah the Cobra almost had a stroke when I told him that I had already hit the Amp Cell stuff.....he was like "don't tell anybody that, nobody is supposed to have those yet!" He was a nice guy though

Nice write-up Tim! I had a blast. Pretty fun for a day that all 3 of us hacked it up. Of course we couldn't compete with Brian's 2 chip-ins.

Course rating of 69.3...debatable.

Also, I don't know who's ball that is on the green in the first picture, but it looks like one hell of a shot! :act-up:

Yep, I decided to skip the "the only balls I lost today could be found at the bottom of the cup as I stood green side" comment.

The Highlands course is a fun little tract.

Awesome read Tim, and the Cell comment made me smile. Did you tell him that you were the primary decision maker in roll outs? Looks like a fun track.

Well done man I really enjoyed that.

Great review Tim! Want to take a crack at the other course when I'm in the area for Thanksgiving?

Fantastic looking course and a good time had by all THPers' , I would say it was a perfect day !

Man that course looks sweet with the terrain and surrounding scenery. Thanks for the review Tim.

Great review Tim! Want to take a crack at the other course when I'm in the area for Thanksgiving?

That could definately be arranged!

Great write up Tim, It really looks like a great place to play, next time I'm in Richmond, I'll meet up with you to play here! It looks like an absolutely beautiful course!

Great write up Tim, It really looks like a great place to play, next time I'm in Richmond, I'll meet up with you to play here! It looks like an absolutely beautiful course!

Consider it done my friend!

That looks like a course that I would want to play if in the area

Back