ESC and your thoughts

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
so...here is the deal...
I played with an official GHIN until January of this year and then let it drop...
My anding handicap was about 14.5 I believe.

Then I start using OOBGOLF to record scores and start from scratch.
Another member pointed out that I might not have used ESC on a scorecard I had referenced..This is a true statement but I would like your opinion on a couple of things.

OOBGOLF started over from scratch with my scores and now thinks I have a handicap of 7.7 which is preposterous...I realize this will change as I input more scores; however this makes OOBGOLF adjust the course ndcp wrong as well...

1) Do you use ESC when putting in your scores??
2) Should I use the 14.5 hdcp I have had over the last 2'ish years to calculate my Course Handicap??

thanks
bama

I am a big believer in that if you are going to keep a handicap, to use one of the USGA ones.

I do not use ESC, I just input every single round I play and they can be seen on the GHIN website.

As for ESC, while in some ways its correct, I always just let the GHIN handle everything I throw at it. I play the regular scores and turn in a real scorecard.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks JB...I also wondered how OOBGOLF can calulate a 9 hole course handicap...
It seems all they do is cut the regular one in half..
That is not right....but it is not like they are constraining me from putting in my real score....

I am a big believer in that if you are going to keep a handicap, to use one of the USGA ones.

I do not use ESC, I just input every single round I play and they can be seen on the GHIN website.

As for ESC, while in some ways its correct, I always just let the GHIN handle everything I throw at it. I play the regular scores and turn in a real scorecard.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree that seems like the most logical way to do it, I am a little confused as to why the USGA presents the ESC....

Handicap is a measure of your potential score at any given time..
This is a good reason that your handicap is based on your "best 10 of your last 20 scores". It also takes the difficulty of the course into question with the formula.

If they use the best 10 of last 20 to gain your potential, then why do they compound it with ESC to prevent blowup holes... The blowup holes will get averaged out in the 20 scores..

Now..if you were doing a full running average of your last 5 scores, or only using your best 3 of your last 7, then I might consider ESC to be more useful..

comments??

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you about keeping an official handicap. Do you enter hole-by-hole or total score?

I agree about the skewed handicaps on Oobgolf. Mine works out to a 9.2 right now which is asinine, 12-15 would be more like it. Sure I have shot par a couple times but those are few & very far between. Majority of my scores are in the mid 80's & lately have had some in the mid 90's.

I believe GHIN is only total score..... (it was when I did it and no thus no ESC, right??)
I put in hole by hole at OOB...

I agree with you about keeping an official handicap. Do you enter hole-by-hole or total score?

It is total score.

I agree about the skewed handicaps on Oobgolf. Mine works out to a 9.2 right now which is asinine, 12-15 would be more like it. Sure I have shot par a couple times but those are few & very far between. Majority of my scores are in the mid 80's & lately have had some in the mid 90's.

Mine on there says I am a 2.1. Just not the case.

I believe GHIN is only total score..... (it was when I did it and no thus no ESC, right??)
I put in hole by hole at OOB...

That is correct.

I threw my scores into Oobgolf after reading this, since I was curious. Here's what I got:

Yahoo Golf Handicap Tracker - 26.9
Oobgolf Handicap Tracking - 22.5

Knowing how I've been playing, I'd say that Yahoo is definitely a more accurate number.

I really like the guys behind OOB golf. We got a chance to share some drinks with them at a collaberation meeting in Orlando. But I must admit, that their tracker seems a little off with this one compared to GHIN.

Agreed. I just got around to entering my score from last Sunday morning (a completely painful 114!) and was surprised to see my Yahoo handicap dropped by 0.1. But that course is a 71.6/137, so that probably helped a lot.

ESC is a rule, and like it or not you have to follow it, otherwise it opens the window of what other rules are you selecting to ignore. It is a rule and should always be followed no matter what.

I dont use it at all. Input my score in GHIN and never even think about it.

Question for those of you with official handicaps - will you pick up if you reach your ESC or continue to putt out if you are entering your score. I'm talking casual play.

I use an official GHIN and I play my score to its entirety.

I was told that ESC is mandatory when posting a score. There is a big note explaining it next to the score imputing computer at my club.

We don't use GHIN, we use this other site. http://mygaf.golfnet.com/default.aspx

I have not heard of oobgolf.

ESC is a rule, and like it or not you have to follow it, otherwise it opens the window of what other rules are you selecting to ignore. It is a rule and should always be followed no matter what.

So what does a guy like me who doesn't keep a handicap do?? Am I cheating if I shoot 100 and tell someone I shot 100 because I normally shoot in the 80's?? I don't really understand ESC other than you are supposed to say you made a different score that what you actually shot(isn't that cheating???), and I don't see any pros following that rule on Tour.

Most GHIN users use it. For me, I do not play competitive golf, so I like to count every stroke.

I don't think the pros with their + handicaps really need to worry about ESC.

It helps keep cheaters away that want to fluff their index and in theory can be a decent idea. But for me, like I said, I want to see my real scores and count every stroke

I keep an official USGA handicap and if you are going to do it properly, you use ESC to adjust your score BEFORE you enter it into the system. Handicap in the US is all about you potential to score, not your average score. As someone above said, it is a rule, not an option. If it makes anyone feel better, you should only play to your handicap in the US about 25% of the time. Since you drop your highest 10 of your last 20 scores and you have to adjust those scores before they are entered to prevent "blow-up" holes from skewing your score, then your handicap represents what you are capable of playing your very best golf. It is very unusual for someone to "play to his handicap" more than a couple of rounds in a row.

I had a streak during the city championships this year where I shot below my handicap in 4 consecutive rounds..someone questioned my handicap but I was lucky, all my rounds used for my handicap were official tournament rounds that had been attested to by my fellow competitors.

Most GHIN users use it. For me, I do not play competitive golf, so I like to count every stroke.

Since you are a 5, I doubt the ESC comes into play for you often, anyway. I am not as good as you and it is rare that I have to post a 7 instead of an 8 on a par 5, for example.

Thanks Koko, you are right it does not come into play very often, but it has.

Question for those of you with official handicaps - will you pick up if you reach your ESC or continue to putt out if you are entering your score. I'm talking casual play.
You still have to finish out the hole, it just asks for my adjusted score when I post. I always thought the only purpose of it was to stop sandbagging.

You still have to finish out the hole, it just asks for my adjusted score when I post. I always thought the only purpose of it was to stop sandbagging.

I know the rule - I was just curious how people handled it during a casual round. I have played with people who pick up if they have reached their ESC and the course is crowded, but still enter their score.

Back