Are Belly Putters going to be banned?

Getitclose

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I recently purchased a Mid-Belly putter for the simple fact that I have a bad back and I couldn't practice as much with a regular putter. Without looking into it, I pulled the trigger and have been hitting it around the house since there's snow on the ground. Today I woke up and decided to do some research. And all of these words like "banned" and "outlawed" pop up. Scares me that I just waisted $350+ dollars on a putter I can no longer use, can't try to sell. So what's the real deal people? What's going on with them?

I'm not sure whats going to happen with them.. However if I had to guess, they probably will be banned in some way.

Golf Digest sure made it sound like they'll get banned. I wouldn't get too stressed out though. Probably won't happen for a few years. I think it's stupid, but there's a lot of stupid golf rules.

I'm not sure whats going to happen with them.. However if I had to guess, they probably will be banned in some way.
Someway meaning PGA Tour only?

The real answer is Nobody knows.....unfortunately the USGA and R&A will have to make a ruling and nobody knows when or if that will happen....and even if it does, there will be an "adjustment period" where they will still be legal....so you will have a few years with it at worst I would say.

I hpoe so everyone who uses one where I play kicks my butt with one.

Nobody knows at this point. If it's like the groove rule we amature's will have a few years as a grace period to switch back. My personal opinion is that the putter won't be banned but how it's used will be revised.

I am betting the putter itself wont be banned, I am guessing they will change the rule on being able to anchor or not. This is the reason I am now side saddle putting without anchoring.

It's not a secret where I stand on this issue. But I doubt that the USGA would write the rule that way. The PGA Tour seems to be the body with the issue on anchored putters.

Having discussed this a lot recently, I picture the PGA Tour like the loud mouth guy flexing his muscles while standing behind it's bigger stronger brother, the USGA. If I was the USGA, I wouldnt' change the rule. I would recommend the PGA Tour change their rule, affecting only PGA Tour pros.

If it does get banned it'll end up being tied up in court for years anyway.

If it does get banned it'll end up being tied up in court for years anyway.

Maybe with the Americans' With Disabilties Act. That is the only way I could see it. But I am no expert.

It's not a secret where I stand on this issue. But I doubt that the USGA would write the rule that way. The PGA Tour seems to be the body with the issue on anchored putters.

Having discussed this a lot recently, I picture the PGA Tour like the loud mouth guy flexing his muscles while standing behind it's bigger stronger brother, the USGA. If I was the USGA, I wouldnt' change the rule. I would recommend the PGA Tour change their rule, affecting only PGA Tour pros.

I can't see that happening because you would just send a group of your better players to the Euro tour if they did that....if anything happens it will be a USGA/R&A joint ruling

I'm not sure about that. If I had to guess it would just be the anchoring being banned and not the longer putters. Either way it won't happen over night.

I can't see that happening because you would just send a group of your better players to the Euro tour if they did that....if anything happens it will be a USGA/R&A joint ruling

I don't disagree with you Tim. I just don't like the USGA gettng involved with this. I think they are creating an issue where there isn't one.

I am not a fan of the USGA "protecting the game" from the top down. They are letting recent success by PGA Tour players affect how 99% of all golfers can play the game.

It's looking like it will be banned but won't take place until 2015 at the earliest. Like others have said, grace period. Do you play in sanctioned or PGA tournaments? If not, who cares. If you're playing with your buds on a weekend or afternoon round, there's nothing saying you can't use your belly putter and anchor it even after the ban, you just won't be able to play in a sanctioned tournament and anchor it.

I hpoe so everyone who uses one where I play kicks my butt with one.
See I don't get that. The buddies I play with have all had long or mid putters at one time. Out of the 8, there ar 2 that still use them. My good friend had one, played it for 2 years, then sold it because he wasn't making putts anymore. He now uses a 28" fun sized putter he got out of his little brothers set lol. I mean I don't see how the belly putter automatically makes you a great putter. If that's the case everyone should have one right?

I wonder if the issue would be as big if Rory and Tiger was useing long putters???

It's looking like it will be banned but won't take place until 2015 at the earliest. Like others have said, grace period. Do you play in sanctioned or PGA tournaments? If not, who cares. If you're playing with your buds on a weekend or afternoon round, there's nothing saying you can't use your belly putter and anchor it even after the ban, you just won't be able to play in a sanctioned tournament and anchor it.
I play in local tournaments in Utah that require a USGA membership. So what you're saying is it would be a waste of time to perfect it? I guess I could always cut it back down to a 36 or 37 inch right?

I would not be surprised if it gets banned from being able to be anchored. I am also not sure that the banning of anchoring is about "protecting the game from the top down". I think it is more about fundamentals of the game and golf swing and making sure the youth and those who are just joining learning the game with out a "crutch".

Next yr there will be a 14 yr old playing in the Masters who got there by using an anchored putter. I do not agree with this but it is what it is.

I would not be surprised if it gets banned from being able to be anchored. I am also not sure that the banning of anchoring is about "protecting the game from the top down". I think it is more about fundamentals of the game and golf swing and making sure the youth and those who are just joining learning the game with out a "crutch".

Next yr there will be a 14 yr old playing in the Masters who got there by using an anchored putter. I do not agree with this but it is what it is.

I just don't see it as a crutch. Not any more so than fat putter grips, hybrids, adjustable drivers, or cavity back irons.

I play in local tournaments in Utah that require a USGA membership. So what you're saying is it would be a waste of time to perfect it? I guess I could always cut it back down to a 36 or 37 inch right?

I guess that's up to you. If you play in tournaments, it looks like you won't be able to some time in 2015. That gives you at least 2.5 years to use it and perfect it, but there's a very real likelihood that you will have to retrain your thought process to play a regular putter or use the longer putter without anchoring or like you said, cut/reshaft the belly putter. There's not a "right" answer here, we're all just responding based on what we've read/heard on TV concerning the issue. $350 for up to 3 years of use isn't too bad probably. Besides, there is an off chance that the tide may swing the other way, but based on how discussions are going on it now it looks like it will be banned. I guess it comes down to this: If you opt to stay with the belly putter and it becomes illegal, how well do you adapt to changes in your game mechanics? That should ultimately determine your course of action. If you haven't used it, other than putting on the carpet, do you think you can return it? Even if it's not for cash back or credit back on your card, maybe you can get a store credit that still guarantees them a sale of $350 or an exchange for another putter?

I just don't see it as a crutch. Not any more so than fat putter grips, hybrids, adjustable drivers, or cavity back irons.

It looks funny though. And people won with it. Plus, Tiger doesn't like it.

You can't group adjustable drivers in this. You are not allowed to adjust them during a round.

You can't group adjustable drivers in this. You are not allowed to adjust them during a round.

So? I know what you're trying to say. But in reality it is a "crutch" to make golfers produce better drives.

If the USGA wanted to do something to help golfers, how about they force OEMs (which they seem to be proud to do) to make a shaft flex standard.

A "crutch" would be if you had the Rodney Dangerfield putter off of Caddyshack. Something that makes it so less physical and mental stress is put on the player. That's a crutch. With a belly putter or any putter for that matter, you can miss, pull, push putts at any time. If they outlaw the longer putters, they should ban adjustable drivers, graphite shafts, gloves, and anything but a blade iron. We'll just go back to 1954. I know what I say and feel has zero affect on the probability of the ruling, but it's BS if they do

Back