Are Belly Putters going to be banned?

I sincerely hope they don't ban. There are a lot of amateurs out there that use them. What's the point turning more people off to the game? It's a hard enough game already.

Nothing annoys me more than when people make analogies to banning adjustable drivers and threes piece golf balls

I'm really starting to rethink my stand on the issue. I'm getting sick of people saying it provides an advantage. Even if it does, and I think it does, everyone is allowed to use one and therefore you're choosing to not use that advantage. Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm against the banning of them.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

I think that a lot of golfers (especially pros) associate ancored putters with people who can't putt. So they think that all users of anchored putters are bad putters, so the only way they could have won was because they used an anchored putter.

Adjustable drivers are more for the consumer so we don't waste money. Now we can set loft and angle without buying a new driver with a different loft or offset. The pros can have a new driver built In between days that have the loft and offset built in without having the adjustability setting on a driver. If they were allowed to change it up during a round than I would completely agree.

Nothing annoys me more than when people make analogies to banning adjustable drivers and threes piece golf balls

Except that the analogy fits.

The USGA/R&A will do what they want and it won't necessarily be based on anything but the way they feel. They've done it before and will do it again. Center shafted putters were banned at one time for jeebus sake.

Adjustable drivers are more for the consumer so we don't waste money. Now we can set loft and angle without buying a new driver with a different loft or offset. The pros can have a new driver built In between days that have the loft and offset built in without having the adjustability setting on a driver. If they were allowed to change it up during a round than I would completely agree.

But that is all done in order to create more ideal launch conditions for the individual golfer. I argue that an anchored putter is used to create more ideal launch conditions for the golfer.

Except that the analogy fits.

Except it doesn't. If you go out with a 10.5 neutral setting that's what you go out with. If i decide on day two I want to close the face and make it a 9.5 I can do so without spending another $300 for a driver. The pros get adjustability in between days regardless if its needed. This is a way to save us consumers money.

I'm really starting to rethink my stand on the issue. I'm getting sick of people saying it provides an advantage. Even if it does, and I think it does, everyone is allowed to use one and therefore you're choosing to not use that advantage. Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm against the banning of them.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.
Why does this annoy you? I'm not trying to get this thread heated or annoyed by any means. I'm just saying if the USGA wants to remain the "fundamentals" then lets go back to them. Surely 3 piece balls and adjustable drivers are not a part of the fundamentals right?

Advanced technology in fitting (yes, that includes adjustable drivers) is a huge benefit to professionals. I think it, and perimeter weighting, have a far more widespread effect on the game than the longer putters.

Except it doesn't. If you go out with a 10.5 neutral setting that's what you go out with. If i decide on day two I want to close the face and make it a 9.5 I can do so without spending another $300 for a driver. The pros get adjustability in between days regardless if its needed. This is a way to save us consumers money.

But why would you change the setting? To produce a more ideal launch condition. An anchored putter creates a more ideal launch condition for the golfer.

Maybe with the Americans' With Disabilties Act. That is the only way I could see it. But I am no expert.

I believe there was a brief interview with Tim Clark and evidently he, and anyone else joining him, would have a legit shot at winning. Don't remember too much about it because I didn't figure it'd happen.

So I should own 4 drivers? So I can make sure I have the right one with me when I go out? I'm not sure why you can't understand an adjustable driver is to save consumers money.

So I should own 4 drivers? So I can make sure I have the right one with me when I go out? I'm not sure why you can't understand an adjustable driver is to save consumers money.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that manufacturers are trying to save consumers from spending money.

hahah. I do understand that. But that doesn't answer the question, why adjust the driver between rounds? It isn't for shats and giggles. It's to achieve something. An anchored putter is trying to achieve that same thing. For me anyways.

You know before adjustable drivers, and even now they have clubs rebuilt and adjusted between rounds. Regardless of the new lines coming out they could have a new loft and offset built in. They aren't stuck with the same driver all tourney. This has been going on long before adjustable drivers were even a dream.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that manufacturers are trying to save consumers from spending money.

Wrong, I got a bad fitting for my AMP driver. I contacted Cobra after I owned it for a few weeks and they setup a free swap for a completely different settings on a new driver. They saved me $200

You know before adjustable drivers, and even now they have clubs rebuilt and adjusted between rounds. Regardless of the new lines coming out they could have a new loft and offset built in. They aren't stuck with the same driver all tourney. This has been going on long before adjustable drivers were even a dream.

But that doesn't answer the question, why adjust the driver between rounds?

Still haven't answered this question.

Why adjust the driver? What is that accomplishing? How is that any different than me using an anchored putter because I get better roll off of it?

Wrong, I got a bad fitting for my AMP driver. I contacted Cobra after I owned it for a few weeks and they setup a free swap for a completely different settings on a new driver. They saved me $200

I'm not sure I'm following you here.

Their goal is to get you to spend your money on their product. The adjustable driver wasn't invented so people didn't have to buy 4 drivers. It's a marketing tool as well as a way to enable easier/more precise fitting.

No offense, but I disagree with this quite a bit. No "for profit" company is trying to save consumers money. What they did was build brand awareness and loyalty by offering great customer service.

The answer is they are completely different and you just don't want to see that. You are trying to defend your stance by saying well I think this is a bad thing too so I should get to keep putter. :)

I think what BG is saying is - why just the putter? Especially based off little to no empirical evidence that it's changed the game for the worse or made putting easier? There is plenty of evidence that perimeter weighting changes the outcome of an off-center strike, yet nobody complains about it.

I think they look funny and people don't like that. Now that people are winning with them, they are demonized.

No offense, but I disagree with this quite a bit. No "for profit" company is trying to save consumers money. What they did was build brand awareness and loyalty by offering great customer service.

I feel it's one in the same. You have to agree that adjustable drivers do end up saving people money who don't get fitted and end up needing a different loft offset etc.

The answer is they are completely different and you just don't want to see that. You are trying to defend your stance by saying well I think this is a bad thing too so I should get to keep putter. :)

Nope. Never said that.

Infact, I haven't used my belly putter since April, I didn't like the results from it.

You still haven't answered my question. Why adjust the driver between rounds? I think it's for the same purpose as a belly putter. To create better launch conditions.

I opened a can of worms with the adjustable driver analogy. But in my eyes, it's the same as the long putters in terms of the USGA argument. Same with grips, balls, gloves, CB irons, and more. It's a putter. You still have to practice, and it requires the same if not more talent to use than a regular 34" putter. I understand what you are saying about its for us and all that, but I'm with Hawk. I don't think Titleist and Taylormade are having meetings about "How to save consumers money". That's like saying "How can we not make money and be in the unemployment line next year"

Back