Suggestions for SGI Clubs for a newbie

scottemory72

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm brand new to golf and I'm looking at getting a new set of Super Game Improvement Clubs; can you suggest some brands and models I can research and try out?

Adams makes some great SGI sets. a120S, a70S, a40S, a30S are all in that genre and come at different price points.

Cleveland has the HB3 and 588 Altitude irons.

There are a bunch of them out there. How much are you looking to spend?

First off, welcome to THP. Glad you found us.

I would tell you that almost every single brand out there has an iron that fits this bill. From there it would probably be based on what you like the look of most, and what budget you have set.

If you are brand new to golf, I would recommend looking at something that might be easier on the wallet because as you get that swing honed, you will certainly be trying different things that fit you a little better.

Cobra Baffler Irons or the hybrid/iron combo set is one you should definitely give a swing.

Take a look at some used Pings, (G10 or G15), Taylormade (RAC, RAC OS), Callaway (X22's). For new, the Ping G20. Of course get fitted first and take some lessons.

I'm brand new to golf and I'm looking at getting a new set of Super Game Improvement Clubs; can you suggest some brands and models I can research and try out?

What are you playing right now?

Have you hit any of the SGI's?

If you are brand new to golf, I would recommend looking at something that might be easier on the wallet because as you get that swing honed, you will certainly be trying different things that fit you a little better.

That is great advice so is looking into a few lessons

Search Wilson Di 11 irons review on this site and you'll find some positive reviews. They can be found on line for about $250 or so. Some of the big box stores, Golfsmith, PGA Superstore, etc. may still have some in stock. It's a 2011 model I think.

The Adams A12os are really nice. My wife games them and loves them.

Search Wilson Di 11 irons review on this site and you'll find some positive reviews. They can be found on line for about $250 or so. Some of the big box stores, Golfsmith, PGA Superstore, etc. may still have some in stock. It's a 2011 model I think.

Big +1. These are very well reviewed. Tough to go wrong for the price.

This is a smart man

first thing first welcome to the site and the community. All the clubs mentioned above would be good I'd also look at Taylormade burner plus irons. I have been playing them for two years and the are forgiving and accurate. You should be able to find a good deal on them as the are not in production anymore.

Welcome man, I was in your exact situation a couple of months ago. I did a ton(weeks, for multiple hours per day) of research and decided on the Adams A7OS ..found new 3-5 hybrids and 6-SW for $299 shipped with graphite shafts. Hard deal to beat IMO, I'm not going to say go with this exact combo, but I'd bet you won't be disappointed and it will save you a lot of research.

Also go into your local shop and hit each club if possible, if not just see how it feels/looks at address. If you don't feel comfortable when looking down at it, doubt you're going to hit it well.

I'm fond of the Adams tech v3 set hybo's and irons

I can only speak for myself and I noticed a big difference in MY iron game this after getting the Ping G20's...I was never a big Ping fan at all but the G20's felt good to me...my GIR and overall iron game improved this year...as always, try different clubs but don't shy away from a brand either

First off, welcome!

Secondly, with you being new to a game which can get downright expensive I would suggest looking at the used club selections on something like www.globalgolf.com or at sets like the Di9/Di11 from Wilson Staff, there is a giant thread on the Di11 irons here, but I can't find it at the moment. Also, Adams make some incredible hybrid iron sets that might be just what you need.

Third, and I say this from experience. Go see your local PGA pro for a few lessons, even the Get Golf Ready program is a great way to start, it's $99 and you'll get a series of 5 lessons covering every facet of the game. It's a great way to ensure you don't go and perfect a bad swing. Plus they might be able to suggest some clubs for you as well.

Stick around and enjoy the forum :)

Wilson Staff D-100. Give em a look.

Another thing before you jump right into lessons ..buy BOOKS. Man I wish I had done this sooner, I mean lessons are great, but sometimes it is a little difficult to understand what exactly the instructor is wanting you to do when you know absolutely nothing about golf. I highly recommend Hogans Five Lessons and Tiger Woods' How I play golf ..I have learned a ton from reading these 2, really helped me understand the game and swing fundamentals, had I known some of this before I believe that my lessons would have been a bit more productive.

welcome to THP, JB is correct, all of the companies make great game improvement clubs that will help.

But, what I would suggest is to use that money to get lessons first, sometimes SGI clubs can be really expensive, so you could save money and get a series of lessons or sign up for the PGA Get Golf Ready courses-you'll get 5 lessons in a small group with some great instructors.

Welcome man, I was in your exact situation a couple of months ago. I did a ton(weeks, for multiple hours per day) of research and decided on the Adams A7OS ..found new 3-5 hybrids and 6-SW for $299 shipped with graphite shafts. Hard deal to beat IMO, I'm not going to say go with this exact combo, but I'd bet you won't be disappointed and it will save you a lot of research.

Also go into your local shop and hit each club if possible, if not just see how it feels/looks at address. If you don't feel comfortable when looking down at it, doubt you're going to hit it well.

This is a good idea. Tell us a bit more about what you want and your swing. I know a lot of people that really like the Ping G Series. They're a good option too.

Welcome to THP! Listen to these great people. Depending upon cost, try as many different sets as they have suggested. Good luck!! Glad to have you.

You may not need SGI clubs. I know the Diablos and Burners are not SGIs but are very forgiving.

Great suggests from others. I would add that once you narrow the SGI clubs down to two or three manufacturers, you ought to google their used club websites. I know Callaway PreOwned has some great deals on year or two old models and the "Like New" and "Very Good" clubs are usually exceptional values. TaylorMade has the same.

Back