The Official 2012 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this doesn't sound very promising:
"RT @EdBouchette: #Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk."

Must resist jokes about not having a heart....Must resist...hehe I kid.

"RT @EdBouchette: #Steelers Ben Roethlisberger has a rare rib injury that could kill him by pressing against his aorta. Too big risk."
They are talking 'life threatening". Scary stuff!

Bye bye Steelers!!

They'd be better off with Batch instead of Leftwich.

The rib broke completely and is now facing in and putting pressure on the aorta? I'm familiar with the anatomy, and statistically that seems hard to do. Guess that's whay its categorized as "rare."

The rib broke completely and is now facing in and putting pressure on the aorta? I'm familiar with the anatomy, and statistically that seems hard to do. Guess that's whay its categorized as "rare."

I was curious about this myself. Can you share how rare this would be?

I was confused by this as well.. Seems almost impossible

Dislocated, not broken. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...gh-steelers-says-dislocated-rib-biggest-worry

From what Ben says in that story, the doctors are having trouble finding other reports of something like this. I'd say that means it's really rare. I will say that I don't deal with sports injuries all that much, but have heard of rib injuries causing punctures in the lung, I would imagine the mechanism would be the same with the aorta.

Dislocated, not broken. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...gh-steelers-says-dislocated-rib-biggest-worry

From what Ben says in that story, the doctors are having trouble finding other reports of something like this. I'd say that means it's really rare. I will say that I don't deal with sports injuries all that much, but have heard of rib injuries causing punctures in the lung, I would imagine the mechanism would be the same with the aorta.

So it has to be dislocated from his sternum I imagine? There's no way it could get close to being in contact with a lung or the aorta without either breaking, or in this case dislocating. It wouldn't seem like it dislocating off the facet on the vertabra would cause this either. (This is just me spit balling here in between patients.) I have to say, of all the hours I sat reading films and learning to catch pathologies and fractures on x-rays, I've never seen a dislocated rib case. Must have been a "perfect storm" of a scenario for that to happen and it not break.

EDIT: Let me also say I don't deal a ton with sports injury either, mine is a family practice where I see newborns all the way up to 100 year-olds.

If what heard was correct it hasn't been known to happen in sports since a rugby player in '98.

Here's some hilarious stuff from Chief's safety Eric Berry.

The announcer at the end clears it up for us. LOL

Here's some hilarious stuff from Chief's safety Eric Berry.

The announcer at the end clears it up for us. LOL

That's hilarious!!

Who would have thunk a rough and tough football player would be scared of a measily old 1,100 lb animal!!!

His tone of voice is the best. Poor Eric.

"Coach! That horse is still over there!" - best line, he gets out of the huddle trying to get away from it haha.

I dislocated a rib 2 years ago. Out of all of my various injuries, that was by FAR the most pain I have ever been in.

I didn't get to see the game on Monday but caught the highlights. I am embarrassed to say that is my team after seeing their on-field celebrations when their record is 1-bazillion. Geez, when you suck that bad, you have nothing to celebrate about...

You can't trust a horse. They're pretty good eating, though.

Kevin

That is hysterical Doug.
I thought so too.

Here is a question for you, JB. Do you think the Chiefs clean house completely in the offseason? I expect Pioli to be gone as well as coaching staff. Pioli has improved the roster, but sure doesn't have the wins under his time there to justify staying.

I thought so too.

Here is a question for you, JB. Do you think the Chiefs clean house completely in the offseason? I expect Pioli to be gone as well as coaching staff. Pioli has improved the roster, but sure doesn't have the wins under his time there to justify staying.

Good question Doug and one that I was just thinking about earlier today. I have not read much or looked into much about whether or not they will clean house. You have to expect someone to take the fall though.

lol @ the Onion article. Funny stuff over here, but Im more concerned with Mo Claiborne. Dude has been grabbing, holding and been getting called for it all like crazy. Is he making rookie mistakes or grabbing dudes because he's clueless? Its concerning whatever it is.

Good question Doug and one that I was just thinking about earlier today. I have not read much or looked into much about whether or not they will clean house. You have to expect someone to take the fall though.
I think one thing that makes it tough to speculate is that Lamar Hunt let Carl Peterson stay well past the time that he wore out his welcome. Pioli was Clark Hunt's first hire so it will be interesting to see if he gets sent packing or multiple chances to make it a winning team. Part of me thinks Clark will consider it a lesson learned and move on.

lol @ the Onion article. Funny stuff over here, but Im more concerned with Mo Claiborne. Dude has been grabbing, holding and been getting called for it all like crazy. Is he making rookie mistakes or grabbing dudes because he's clueless? Its concerning whatever it is.

How is Carr doing, Kmac? Honest question as I haven't seen the 'boys play much at all this year. Do you think he is living up to his hefty contract?

How is Carr doing, Kmac? Honest question as I haven't seen the 'boys play much at all this year. Do you think he is living up to his hefty contract?
He's been 100% worth it IMO. I think he's outplayed Claiborne and its not even close. But being one is a rookie and one's a vet that would make sense.

I think Pioli has done a pretty good job the only thing is the most important position an that's at QB the Cassel experiment hasn't worked out. Romeo would look like a far better coach if they had a top 20 qb. However as a Raiders fan I wish them many more years of suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back