The Career Change Thread

Schweitzer_07

Reaction score
I'm sure there are those here that have considered changing careers at some point in time, but what I'm looking for is more of:

a) Why did you want out of your profession?
b) How did you decide what career to go into?
c) How did you actually make the transition? (Assuming there are those that have)

I'm still young and while it's early in my career, I can already see that it's not something I'm interested in doing for the rest of my life. The issue is that I don't exactly know how to change without a drastic lifestyle change which will impact not only me but others as well. My wife is supportive of me pursuing other options if that is what I want to do, but doesn't want me leaving a full time job to go back to school. I can completely understand where she is coming from but unfortunately that takes a lot of options away so I am trying to be creative and find other alternatives.

I'd love to hear from those of you who have had similar situations and how it's worked out for you.

a) Why did you want out of your profession? I was in a time consuming profession that got only more time consuming as I progressed. In addition, the hours were mostly nights, weekends, holidays, and I didn't feel like it was conducive to raising a family.

b) How did you decide what career to go into? I took a guess. Actually, I took an entry level job with a huge pay cut. Figured I'd work hard and try to make something out of it.

c) How did you actually make the transition? (Assuming there are those that have) Mine involved moving to a different area. Other than that, I just went for it. I was young enough that accepting the pay cut and the risk was doable. Can't say I would feel quite as confident in the same situation at this point in my life.

After it all, I'm far better off than I was. Took a few years, but by the third I was making more than when I left the old industry, had normal work hours, benefits, vacation, etc. It just continues to get better in that regard.

Very hard to to with out a good plan better to do now when you are young. I have tried going back to school it was fun and hard at the same time. But impossable while working full time with work and every thing else going on. But it all comes down to how bad you want it my advice plan,plan ahead and know it won't be easy...Good luck keep us posted..

Man am I in the same boat as you. Currently a Project Manager for a Fortune 500 company, and while the pay and benefits are great, I feel unfulfilled and have an empty hollow feeling everyday at work. I dread logging on in the mornings and that's just something you don't want to deal with for the next 30 years. Contrary to what some may state for reasons why they switched careers, my job is very flexible and provides me ample free time to spend with my 14mos. old daughter. I work from home, I can relocate to where ever I want, and as long as I put in 8 hours a day and get the projects completed on time no one cares if I'm on late, or log off early. So you can see why I'm conflicted.

Good luck with your decision. Maybe we can toss some ideas off each other.

Man am I in the same boat as you. Currently a Project Manager for a Fortune 500 company, and while the pay and benefits are great, I feel unfulfilled and have an empty hollow feeling everyday at work. I dread logging on in the mornings and that's just something you don't want to deal with for the next 30 years. Contrary to what some may state for reasons why they switched careers, my job is very flexible and provides me ample free time to spend with my 14mos. old daughter. I work from home, I can relocate to where ever I want, and as long as I put in 8 hours a day and get the projects completed on time no one cares if I'm on late, or log off early. So you can see why I'm conflicted.

Good luck with your decision. Maybe we can toss some ideas off each other.

I'm a lot like you in that the pay, hours and benefits at my current position are great, but I don't feel like I'm making a difference in anyone's life and I don't enjoy what I am doing. I have no idea where to go from here though. I have thought about becoming a high school teacher and coach because I love helping others and working with kids, but my wife is currently a teacher and I see how crazy the education system is at times. I'm afraid of the instability in that field. I've also considered looking into becoming a physical therapist or something along those lines in the medical field, but with the wife being opposed to me attending school full time, I'm not sure that is a viable option either.

It's tough because I loved my undergrad classes and wouldn't mind staying in the business field, but I'm not sure how to get out of accounting while still doing that. I'd be fine with taking an entry level position somewhere if I could find one that I enjoyed, but in my area that doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to do at the moment.

I'm a lot like you in that the pay, hours and benefits at my current position are great, but I don't feel like I'm making a difference in anyone's life and I don't enjoy what I am doing. I have no idea where to go from here though. I have thought about becoming a high school teacher and coach because I love helping others and working with kids, but my wife is currently a teacher and I see how crazy the education system is at times. I'm afraid of the instability in that field. I've also considered looking into becoming a physical therapist or something along those lines in the medical field, but with the wife being opposed to me attending school full time, I'm not sure that is a viable option either.

It's tough because I loved my undergrad classes and wouldn't mind staying in the business field, but I'm not sure how to get out of accounting while still doing that. I'd be fine with taking an entry level position somewhere if I could find one that I enjoyed, but in my area that doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to do at the moment.
Accounting... there's your problem! hahaha.

You have to think whether Physical Therapy would be worth it. I believe that requires an advanced degree that goes up to a Ph.D. Have you looked into the private school systems? My in-laws are both teachers at catholic schools and they show zero concern about stability. Unlike my sister who was laid off from the public school system last year.

Accounting... there's your problem! hahaha.

You have to think whether Physical Therapy would be worth it. I believe that requires an advanced degree that goes up to a Ph.D. Have you looked into the private school systems? My in-laws are both teachers at catholic schools and they show zero concern about stability. Unlike my sister who was laid off from the public school system last year.

When I first got to college I wasn't really sure on what to major in. I knew that I liked numbers and enjoyed my high school finance/economics classes so I settled on business but wasn't really sure on a particular concentration. My brother, who is also an accountant, persuaded me to major in accounting because it's a growing field that pays pretty well. I liked all of my accounting classes and all of the concepts came easily to me, but life in the real world is a lot different than the classroom was.

I'm not really sure on what career I want to pursue which is why I'm having so much difficulty with this. I like the idea of becoming a physical therapist as it would be a position that allows me to help others, to be physcially active during the day, and hopefully work hours that allow me to spend time with my family. The downside to that is that I would need 2 semesters of undergrad classes plus 2-4 years of graduate classes in order to make that happen. As I mentioned earlier, my wife doesn't want us to be a one income family which makes that almost impossible to consider.

The teaching thing is tough as I know a lot of people that are fed up with the current system, but the only job I've ever had that I can say I actually enjoyed was working for the YMCA as a kids camp coordinator. I loved going to work every day and spending time/developing relationships with the kids. I also coach and referee youth sports in my area and enjoy it immensely. Those things make me think that maybe I'd enjoy being a math or business teacher in a rural high school area. Who knows though. I thought that I would like accounting too, and I was obviously wrong there.

The problem is that our educational system failed us. Yes they taught us how to read books and memorize principals and formulas, but that doesn't really prepare you or translate in the real world. I, like you, fell into a degree that I was good at. I have a BS in Statistics because I like economics, and math. I like to cut through BS and let the numbers do the talking.

Sounds like you could be a great school counselor. This only takes a masters and could be accomplished part time in 2-3 years. Mentor the youth to making the correct decisions before it's too late and they start compromising there lives in college.

A - Thanks to clerking, I knew that I hated the practice of law. I foresaw a lifetime of long hours, unfulfilling responsibilities, endless arguing, huge stress, zero work/life balance, etc.

B/C - The truth is there was a lot of peer pressure to continue on that path and I almost certainly would have (didn't have the stones to abandon ship and chart an entirely new course) but for a blessing in disguise, I didn't pass the Bar exam and student loans started coming due. I devised the following plan: use my law degree to get a job doing anything law related, very preferably at a large organization, and to reevaluate once in the door. I took a low level / menial job and gutted it out for about a year. At some point during that year after I had done enough good work to make it equitable I began having conversations with my manager about my situation. We worked together to inventory my professional strengths then identified jobs throughout the company that appeared to be good matches. I then went about preparing myself as best I could to be a decent candidate when one of them came open. I didn't get the job the first time but did get it the 2nd time. @ 16ish years later it is called an IT career.

I like my current job a great bit, however I can see there being a time that I know longer enjoy what I do. If/when that time ever comes, I would have to find a way out. The pay and benefits are not enough to keep me in the career field if it becomes just a job. I have a few ideas of where I would go next if I decided to move on from my current career.

I personally would love a new job but my immigration/location/girlfriend keeps me 'stuck' in essence.

Does your current job offer to pay for schooling? If it does perhaps do that until you're done with them. Nothing like using the system if you can. If not then if you do make a change make sure you go to some place that values education and pays for it. Look into taking courses at a community college too that can transfer into another school when you're ready to start going back through x company. Cheaper and more flexible option especially if you're in limbo. If you have any questions drop me a PM

I'm sure there are those here that have considered changing careers at some point in time, but what I'm looking for is more of:

a) Why did you want out of your profession?
b) How did you decide what career to go into?
c) How did you actually make the transition? (Assuming there are those that have)

I'm still young and while it's early in my career, I can already see that it's not something I'm interested in doing for the rest of my life. The issue is that I don't exactly know how to change without a drastic lifestyle change which will impact not only me but others as well. My wife is supportive of me pursuing other options if that is what I want to do, but doesn't want me leaving a full time job to go back to school. I can completely understand where she is coming from but unfortunately that takes a lot of options away so I am trying to be creative and find other alternatives.

I'd love to hear from those of you who have had similar situations and how it's worked out for you.

I'm a recruiter for a financial services company, so I meet people in transition everyday trying to figure out what they want to do with their lives. Ironically, I'm also in the same boat...not satisfied with my role/pay/and contributions.

The best advice I can give (and the advice I give every candidate) is that:
1) There are more people than you can imagine that are currently contemplating the same tough questions you are.
2) Do as much research as you possibly can into whatever field/company/career path you think you are interested in.
and 3) Find someone you know in that field and take them out for coffee or a beer and be prepared to pepper them with questions about their job/company/career path/satisfaction/etc. then ask them once you are ready to commit to introduce you to other people in their field to network with and get recommended for jobs as they come available.

The problem is that our educational system failed us. Yes they taught us how to read books and memorize principals and formulas, but that doesn't really prepare you or translate in the real world. I, like you, fell into a degree that I was good at. I have a BS in Statistics because I like economics, and math. I like to cut through BS and let the numbers do the talking.

Sounds like you could be a great school counselor. This only takes a masters and could be accomplished part time in 2-3 years. Mentor the youth to making the correct decisions before it's too late and they start compromising there lives in college.

I hear you about falling into a career based on what we were good at in school. The issue I have is that my college classes failed to show me what a career in my chosen major would look like. I should have known and thought more into that, but at the time I was concerned only with job stability and pay, which both were good in my case. I think a good idea to implement would be that before you are allowed to choose a major in college, you should have to job shadow a certain number of individuals. There will still be those that graduate only to find they don't enjoy the line of work they've gotten themselves into, but hopefully that number would be smaller than what it would have been.

Does your current job offer to pay for schooling? If it does perhaps do that until you're done with them. Nothing like using the system if you can. If not then if you do make a change make sure you go to some place that values education and pays for it. Look into taking courses at a community college too that can transfer into another school when you're ready to start going back through x company. Cheaper and more flexible option especially if you're in limbo. If you have any questions drop me a PM

My current job will pay for one class per semester at a state publicly funded university, but I am honestly afraid of what the conversation would be like if my manager were to see my reimbursement paperwork on classes that have little to nothing to do with my current job. With the state budget being as tight as it is right now, I think that showing them that I am looking into other career options would be almost like showing myself the door. I don't know that they would care to keep someone around who wasn't a long-term solution anyway.

I have looked into an MBA program in my area that I'm interested in attending, but am worried that getting my MBA would only put pressure on me to attain my CPA license which I have no interest in doing at the moment. I wouldn't mind working in a general business environment with my MBA, but with my background being in accounting I wasn't sure how likely it would be that someone would hire me for something other than that.

I have looked into an MBA program in my area that I'm interested in attending, but am worried that getting my MBA would only put pressure on me to attain my CPA license which I have no interest in doing at the moment. I wouldn't mind working in a general business environment with my MBA, but with my background being in accounting I wasn't sure how likely it would be that someone would hire me for something other than that.

I have no experience in the matter, but I don't think having a background in accounting along with a MBA would be a detriment to you at all. I think they would view you as a well rounded business man. I would think your penchant for numbers would be handy in many areas of business.

When I was considering going back for my MBA, I was told by several people that your undergrad degree isn't incredibly relevant to most employers once the MBA is completed.

My current job will pay for one class per semester at a state publicly funded university, but I am honestly afraid of what the conversation would be like if my manager were to see my reimbursement paperwork on classes that have little to nothing to do with my current job. With the state budget being as tight as it is right now, I think that showing them that I am looking into other career options would be almost like showing myself the door. I don't know that they would care to keep someone around who wasn't a long-term solution anyway.

I would read into the fine print of your company tuition reimbursement program. My company will provide me a generous amount of money, only if the degree is towards my current role or career. So they would likely reimburse for a MBA, but definitely not something towards a teaching license.

I personally would love a new job but my immigration/location/girlfriend keeps me 'stuck' in essence.

That sucks dude you probably can't cross the boarders freely either Been there done that doin it again.

I'm looking for a change as well and each interview I go to I nail it then they call back and say we're going to promote someone from with in the. They offer me the job to replace the guy they promoted. Half the money and entry level no thanks. So I just keep going and applying its going to come soon.

The way around that is to say you're trying to expand your 'brand', become more well-rounded and accumulate knowledge in other fields that can help you do your current job better. Getting your MBA can't ever hurt and won't pigeon hole you if that's what you're afraid of. My educational background is nothing like my current profession and has helped me get jobs because of that variety

I would read into the fine print of your company tuition reimbursement program. My company will provide me a generous amount of money, only if the degree is towards my current role or career. So they would likely reimburse for a MBA, but definitely not something towards a teaching license.

Because I am a state employee I can actually take one class per semester at any state funded instutition for free. A girl that I am working with is taking completely non-relevant fluff classes at the moment so that she can hit the 150 hour mark and take her CPA exam.

I'm in that boat right now. I've been doing computer work for the past 9 or so years and I'm really getting tired of it. I'm trying to pass my PAT and get into the golf industry, but it's not going quite as planned. I've taken the PAT a couple of times now and I've been extremely close to passing, but just haven't broken through yet. I know I'll get it, but I had hoped to have it out of the way by now. Until I can pass it, I'll just stick to where I'm at now.

I have several reasons for wanting to get out of the computer industry. The biggest one is that I'm just not happy doing this kind of work anymore. It sucks when you have a job that you absolutely dread getting up and going to work everyday.

Back